Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default T12 tubes, are direct replacements available?

On Mar 6, 11:17*am, wrote:
Tabby wrote:
In article ,
* * * * writes:

I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. *It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.
Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? *All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

Almost all old T12 fittings will happily take T8 tubes. But you said
its *tubes you've got, or do you have both tubes and fittings?

Existing lighting fittings in my two garage/workshops. *Having looked
it turns out that most of them are already T8, there's only a couple
of T12s. *I'll just try swapping tubes to make sure the ones with T12s
work with T8s and then I can get T8 replacements as necessary.

... BTW whoever came up with the wonderful concept of measuring
fluorescent tube diameters in eights of an inch? *:-)

If the T12ed fittings are the same length as the T8s, there wont be
any problem using T8s in them.

NT