Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default T12 tubes, are direct replacements available?

In article ,
writes:
Tabby wrote:
In article ,
Â* Â* Â* Â* writes:

I have a lot of 4ft and 5ft T12 fluorescent tubes around the garage
and in my study. Â*It seems these are beginning to become 'old
fashioned'.
Should I stock up now or can the newer/better T8 (or even smaller)
tubes be used in the same fittings? Â*All the fittings have electronic
starters already and a couple are high frequency ones.

Almost all old T12 fittings will happily take T8 tubes. But you said
its tubes you've got, or do you have both tubes and fittings?

Existing lighting fittings in my two garage/workshops. Having looked
it turns out that most of them are already T8, there's only a couple
of T12s. I'll just try swapping tubes to make sure the ones with T12s
work with T8s and then I can get T8 replacements as necessary.

... BTW whoever came up with the wonderful concept of measuring
fluorescent tube diameters in eights of an inch? :-)

It is common in the lighting industry to measure in 1/8ths inch.
e.g. MR16, PAR38, etc.

In continental Europe, sometimes the number is in mm instead,
but it can be inconsistent which is used, and even we now use
R63, R80.

--
Andrew Gabriel