Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Mozilla Thunderbird, date style

I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year
? Anyone know?

Thanks
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year

Are you saying that everything else on your computer shows the British
style date? I'm not aware of any way of settign T'bird differently.

Mine is certainty OK: I can't see any reason why they'd build in
functionality to do this. Perhaps yours has just thrown a wobbler and
wants reinstalling.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/5/2011 10:11 AM, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year

Check you have not altered your regional settings in windows control
panel. Thunderbird ought to use the system selected default format.

Very Interesting! I'd forgotten that I had fiddled with regional
settings a few weeks ago and was surrprised to find Welsh in the
multiple choice so I chose it and all the change I could discern was
that the full date was in Welsh ( 05 Chwefror 2011) which as a Welsh
speaker I rather liked, However I had not noticed at the time that it
also changed the short date in Thunderbird to the American style but did
not affect the date style in my emails in OE.

Many thanks, I've reset now to English, playtime is over.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/5/2011 10:17 AM, Lobster wrote:
On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year

Are you saying that everything else on your computer shows the British
style date? I'm not aware of any way of settign T'bird differently.

Mine is certainty OK: I can't see any reason why they'd build in
functionality to do this. Perhaps yours has just thrown a wobbler and
wants reinstalling.

David

Thanks for that, It's an interesting little anomaly as explained in my
reply earlier.
Thanks
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year
? Anyone know?

I've been using TB for a few weeks & my date is fine.

To highjack the thread, anyone know how to increase the font size in the
preview pane? I've got the size increased in the pane where you read
the message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/5/2011 3:00 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year
? Anyone know?

I've been using TB for a few weeks & my date is fine.

To highjack the thread, anyone know how to increase the font size in
the preview pane? I've got the size increased in the pane where you
read the message.

Would it be in ,"tools options display".? I've not tried it myself.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2011 15:34, Donwill wrote:
On 2/5/2011 3:00 PM, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year
? Anyone know?

I've been using TB for a few weeks & my date is fine.

To highjack the thread, anyone know how to increase the font size in
the preview pane? I've got the size increased in the pane where you
read the message.

Would it be in ,"tools options display".? I've not tried it myself.
Don

Alas no. That works for the message pane but not the preview pane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2011 00:14, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/02/2011 09:12, Donwill wrote:
I've been using the above for approx 1 yr and have noticed in the last
couple of days the date is in the American style i.e Month-Day- Year
which is annoying. I'm not sure if it's changed recently or if it's
always been like that and I've not noticed before.
Is it possible to change the date to the Brit style. i.e Day-Month-Year
? Anyone know?

I've been using TB for a few weeks & my date is fine.

To highjack the thread, anyone know how to increase the font size in the
preview pane? I've got the size increased in the pane where you read the
message.

Click in the preview window, then hold Control and hit + to go up, and -
to go down sizes. Same as page scaling in firefox etc.

Maybe I'm not explaining things properly. I have three window thing's.
One top left which shows the groups & folders, to the right of that is
one listing all the messages & below that is one showing the body of the
message.

I want to increase the font size in the one listing all the messages.

Wherever I click CTRL+ increases the message body text, not the list.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

This *might* be what you need

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Pane_and_menu_fonts

Then again it might be easier to get some stronger reading glasses :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2011 13:03, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Ah, ok...

Thunderbirds own fonts and menus can be styled as well (in fact its user
interface is completely end user configurable), but its slightly more
complex.

In Win7 click the "start" button and enter %APPDATA% into the search
field and hit return. That will open the applications data folder.

Navigate your way down a few folders by double clicking:

Thunderbird - Profiles - nnnnnnn.default

(where nnnnnnn is a random string of characters)

Now create a folder called chrome

Open notepad, and paste into it:

#threadTree treechildren {font-size: 14px; font-family: Arial;}

Save it as userChrome.css into the folder you just created.

Restart Thunderbird, jobs a good'un

Failed :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Edit-preferences-advanced-config editr
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2011 16:13, John Rumm wrote:

Save it as userChrome.css into the folder you just created.

Restart Thunderbird, jobs a good'un

Failed :-)

Could you be a little more specific as to where? ;-)

Saved it as 'userChrome.css.txt' probably ...

Dave, make sure in explorer that you turn the extension hiding off (in
folder options)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No 'preferences' option in 'Edit' I'm afraid :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2011 10:35, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/02/2011 16:13, John Rumm wrote:

Save it as userChrome.css into the folder you just created.

Restart Thunderbird, jobs a good'un

Failed :-)

Could you be a little more specific as to where? ;-)

Saved it as 'userChrome.css.txt' probably ...

Dave, make sure in explorer that you turn the extension hiding off (in
folder options)

'folder options'?

Ain't not got one of them :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Certainly is here (linux)..maybe its different in Windoze

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Tools-Options-General Tab-Config Editor button.

No tools- Options here :-)

(however note the Here be dragons warning on entry!)

(better of with a bit of CSS in a file on this one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2011 18:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/02/2011 10:35, Adrian C wrote:
On 06/02/2011 16:13, John Rumm wrote:

Save it as userChrome.css into the folder you just created.

Restart Thunderbird, jobs a good'un

Failed :-)

Could you be a little more specific as to where? ;-)

Saved it as 'userChrome.css.txt' probably ...

Possibly... command prompt and DIR is your friend here ;-)

Dave, make sure in explorer that you turn the extension hiding off (in
folder options)

'folder options'?

Ain't not got one of them :-(

You have, just someone thought it a good idea to hide it!

They did a good job!

Try the Organise drop down, then Folder and Search Options, then click
the View tab.

'Organise' drop down?

Find the despicable and evil[1] "Hide extensions for known file types"
and turn it off.

[1] its that makes email attachments called :
IamAVirusPretendingToLookInnocent.jpg.exe show up as if they were a
picture!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2011 18:27, John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

'Config Editor' button?

Are we talking about the same system here? Where are all my missing
buttons?

(however note the Here be dragons warning on entry!)

(better of with a bit of CSS in a file on this one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Prolly just doing it to spite me :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Thunderbird 3.1.7 in my case (Help-About Thunderbird - and don't tell
me you have not got a help menu!)

Managed to find that :-)

No idea what to do with it mind...