Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tiny Bathroom

My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2011 15:39, Jo wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

You will probably need to specify placement and size of any windows and
doors as this will have a big impact on what works and what does not.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Mine is as small, I made it a wetroom.

pictures here url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark...7602063596078/

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 28, 3:39*pm, "Jo" wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. *I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Depending on where the door is, that's not a particularly small space
for a shower room, and there should be plenty of room. We've recently
done a really nice shower, toilet and basin setup in not much more
than half that area. It could actually be possible in the space you
have to fit a bath, separate shower, toilet and basin, although a more
spacious setup without the bath is probably preferable. As the
previous reply said, position of doors and windows determines what is
possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:

My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. *I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Basin on top of cistern, if the floor layout can work with it. Common
in Japan.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2011 15:39, Jo wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Modular hotel pods are good examples of how to get things into as small
a space as possible.

http://www.taplanes.com/showertoilet.php4

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
On Jan 28, 3:39 pm, "Jo" wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower
cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to
shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

..... As the previous
reply said, position of doors and windows determines what is
possible.

----------------

And the position of the soil pipe/outlet. You will not want to reposition it
for a trivial reason.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2011 16:15, djc wrote:
On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Mine is as small, I made it a wetroom.

pictures here url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark...7602063596078/

Impressive. But I have always wondered. If the point of a 'wet' room is
that it all gets wet how do you keep the toilet paper dry?

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 28, 4:23 pm, Tabby wrote:
On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:

My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Basin on top of cistern, if the floor layout can work with it. Common
in Japan.

NT

larger toilet - do away with basin? ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 28/01/11 16:45, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , djc wrote:
Mine is as small, I made it a wetroom.

pictures here url:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark...7602063596078/

Impressive. Far too modern in style for us, but that doesn't matter :-)

How's it sealed round the edges, e.g. floor-to-wall? And I assume the
underfloor pipes are not insulated, right? Does anyone insulate underfloor
pipes? We've got some longish pipe runs to a downstairs loo, and it takes
an age to get hot water through. Waste of water and energy, but I wondered
what the standard is.

The floor is a wedi fundo tray http://www.wedi.co.uk/fundokits.php: 40mm
"Styrofoam core coated with a polymer-modified cement coating and
reinforced with glass fibre". The walls are similar but 12mm. All the
joints were taped with a rubberised sealing strip before tiling. And just
in case there is some silicone on the corners. It's been very satisfactory
for five years now. The 40mm of insulation underfoot means the tiles never
feel cold.

As its in a 2nd floor flat uninsulated pipes are not too much of a worry.
If I was doing it again I might do so, but the problem of having to wait
for hot water to come through is down to the combi boiler. Insulation might
make some difference if the water system was in constant use, but I am out
all day, and it is usual for several hours to pass before hot water is
needed again.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:

My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower
cubicle, a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a
clean, smart and modern design and maximise space, particularly the
space in which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Basin on top of cistern, if the floor layout can work with it. Common
in Japan.

How does that work, then? Is the cistern remote from the pan?
If so, would it not be as well to have the cistern above head height
instead, like in the good old days when you had a pull handle on the
end of a chain? Why ever were they done away with?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

On Jan 28, 3:39 pm, "Jo" wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower
cubicle, a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean,
smart and modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in
which to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

It could actually be possible in the space you
have to fit a bath, separate shower, toilet and basin,

I find that hard to believe, unless you're using undersize parts
(for example I understand you can get 150cm long baths, but really
nothing under 170cm is worth having unless you're a shortie), or
unless you don't think you need much floor space for yourself
(over and above the space taken up by the parts).

It could be done, I think, without a separate shower (i.e. mount
the shower on the wall above the bath taps, so you're standing in
the bath when having a shower), but with a separate shower the
figures just don't add up.

The bath (170x70) must go along one long side, wasting 20x70;
The shower (80x80) would probably need to go in one of the
remaining two corners, wasting 80x5.

This leaves only 110x85 into which to fit a toilet (40x70) and
basin (50x40), and enough cruising room to access everything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater ) wibbled on Friday 28 January 2011
16:45:

In article , djc
wrote:

On 28/01/11 15:39, Jo wrote:
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower
cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart
and modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which
to shower.

Anyone got any great ideas or have designed such a small space before?

Mine is as small, I made it a wetroom.

pictures here url:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djclark...7602063596078/

Impressive. Far too modern in style for us, but that doesn't matter :-)

Yes - that's one seriously nice piece of work!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 28, 6:19*pm, Ronald Raygun
wrote:
Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
Basin on top of cistern, if the floor layout can work with it. Common
in Japan.

How does that work, then? *Is the cistern remote from the pan?

No, the sink drains into the cistern to save water.

Ah, nice idea, except that it means you need to disable the
automatic fill, re-enabling it while you use the toilet so
that it will be full enough to flush properly when you're done.

there are several possibilities. Buying a japanese toilet set would
seem most logical, especially given their advantages. But if you
wanted to cobble something together with british components, the
easiest option is just to turn the fill valve down slower.

But it seems to me that it *does* mean that the cistern is
remote from the pan, i.e. not close-coupled. *If the cistern
is below the basin, the cistern can't also be above the pan,
can it, otherwise the pan would be in the way when using the
basin.

Also it strikes me there could be a problem of there not being
enough height for the bottom of the basin to be higher than the
"full" mark on the cistern while still having enough head of
water in the cistern to give a decent flush. *Do they mount
their basin higher up? *With steps leading up? *Or do you stand
on the toilet to use the basin?

But yes, de-coupling the cistern from the pan does save a bit
of floor area - it means the pan can go right up against the
wall without leaving room for the cistern behind it.

I dont see the problem tbh. If you google japanese toilets you'll see
how they work. Of course if you use larger spaced apart UK components
you could be looking at a very shallow sink.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Huge wrote:

IME, you can't, even in much larger ones. Everything's always damp.

Wet rooms are horrid.

My only experience with using one was that I had a perfectly nice shower,
but there was nowhere dry to stand whilst getting dried. Then 30 minutes
later I needed the loo, so it's either wet trainer marks all over the floor
or take trainers and socks off and then dry feet afterwards. Not the most
practical arrangement, especially as that was a large wetroom, with plenty
of space for a separate shower area.

Still, you have to admire djc's design and crafsmanship. It's beautiful, and
it makes great use of the tiny space available.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message

"Jo" wrote in message
o.uk...

"SS" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Skipweasel ) wibbled on Friday 28 January
2011
17:01:

In article ,
says...
My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower
cubicle,
a toilet and a basin. I drastically need to update to a clean, smart
and
modern design and maximise space, particularly the space in which to
shower.

Ours isn't much bigger - the extra being more than taken up by the
bath
as well as the stuff you listed.

Plain white. Pale floor.

Has the advantage of being very cheap, very easy to get right, easy to
repair in the unlikely event of damage, and makes it bright and light
and airey.

The only downside (oddly not that it's hard to clean, it isn't) but
that
it's sometimes a bit too bright - if you fancy lounging in a hot bath
you'll need to do it with candles or something as the ceiling lights
are
a bit fierce for relaxing.

Lights on a TLC pull cord dimmer - that's what I did - works very
nicely
--
Tim Watts

This is how we done out ensuite which wasnt too large.
What helped was a toilet at 45% angle in the corner.
Done to reasonable scale.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/toilet-1.jpg

An angled loo might be a good option.....thanks for the idea. I shall
investigate.

Jo

We also put in a smaller than normal sink 51 wide x 41 deep.
The shower is a double size thingy.
Yep, we've already planned a vastly smaller sink. The one here is enormous
(not our choice...we only moved in a year ago!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jo
writes

"SS" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

In the bathroom in the old house we put the handbasin across a corer,
for similar space reasons. It was one of those semi siton ones, one a
built in cupboard across the corner
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:19:39 -0000 Rbel wrote :
We are faced with a similar dilemma. As we get older the need for a
walk-in shower will become greater than for a bath but as a compromise
we are looking at installing a decent sized 900x900 shower cabinet and
a tiny 1200mm bath.

My walk-in shower is 1100x850. It was a godsend to have it in 2009 when a
bike accident put me on crutches for six weeks - I was able to put one of
my balcony plastic chairs in the shower and shower sitting down. Perhaps
I'll be doing the same when I'm old and decrepit.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 14:55:06 +1100, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 23:19:39 -0000 Rbel wrote :
We are faced with a similar dilemma. As we get older the need for a
walk-in shower will become greater than for a bath but as a compromise
we are looking at installing a decent sized 900x900 shower cabinet and
a tiny 1200mm bath.

My walk-in shower is 1100x850. It was a godsend to have it in 2009 when a
bike accident put me on crutches for six weeks - I was able to put one of
my balcony plastic chairs in the shower and shower sitting down. Perhaps
I'll be doing the same when I'm old and decrepit.

It's always seemed to me that, if you have the space, a small bench or
just somewhere to plonk your bum is a fantastic addition to any shower.
It doesn't have to be much - just a 12 inch deep recess with a mat or
wooden slats to insulate your rear end from the cold tiles. It would make
showering much more pleasant (and less risky, too - no more slipping
over when you do your feet).
I was converted when we stayed in a hotel that had them. Ever since I've
been trying to shoe-horn one in here.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/29...1332027699.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My tiny bathroom measures only 190cm x 155cm and comprises a shower cubicle,
a toilet and a basin.

Luxery! My bathroom is 192cm x 72cm!

The bath (170x70) must go along one long side, wasting 20x70;
The shower (80x80) would probably need to go in one of the
remaining two corners, wasting 80x5.

A shower **and** a bath? Put the show over the bath.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 30/01/11 09:38, pete wrote:
[...]

The advantage of a wet room is that the WC provides the seating.

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

The beauty of a shower over the bath is that after you've soaked
yourself you can stand away from the spray whilst you soap/gel
yourself before hosing it all off, IYSWIM.

You need a decent sized shower cubicle.

Quite. Showers over the bath are vile. They don't just look bad they are
a farce compared to a walk-in shower tray of adequate dimensions.

Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
Tiny Ensuite avocado UK diy 12 January 6th 07 02:18 PM
Tiny air conditioner _DD Home Repair 10 April 24th 06 03:40 PM
Tiny second loo! [email protected] UK diy 9 September 25th 05 11:08 AM