Default Tiny second loo!

Hi I want to install a downstairs toilet and sink in a horrendously
small space in my hall. Anyone got any good ideas? I have seen corner
sinks and even corner loos to buy - anyone had any experience of these?
We cannot extend out the front as prev owners already had porch fitted
and did not make the steel suport long enough make it bigger to accom a
loo next to it. (House is a 1932 semi). If we were to fit a bigger one
will cost =A3=A3=A3=A3=A3's and we would need planning permission which is
taking 9 months min in our area due to backlogs. Also am I right in
thinking we would only need building regs to fit cloakroom? Thanks
Louise

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:07:29 GMT, Rick wrote:

You can also get sinks you set into the wall, which may work for
you.

I've yet to use one of those without getting water all over the place
or touching the basin because it is just to small to take both hands.
Not to mention the tap outlet being to close to the side to allow
proper rinsing. Waste of space IMHO.

One with a bowl at least 12" across and 8" deep with water supplied
from above and centrally might be better but not from a normal tap.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi I want to install a downstairs toilet and sink in a horrendously
small space in my hall. Anyone got any good ideas? I have seen corner
sinks and even corner loos to buy - anyone had any experience of these?
We cannot extend out the front as prev owners already had porch fitted
and did not make the steel suport long enough make it bigger to accom a
loo next to it. (House is a 1932 semi). If we were to fit a bigger one
will cost £££££'s and we would need planning permission which is
taking 9 months min in our area due to backlogs. Also am I right in
thinking we would only need building regs to fit cloakroom? Thanks
Louise

Tell us how big your space is and we might have a better if it is possible.
I had a similar problem. There are advised distances you know. In front of
the
front rim of the loo, 2 clear feet: to either side of the loo centreline, 1
foot ( this
allows you to set the loo centreline 1 foot from one of the walls, and
create a
bit of space on the other wall for a basin. Also recommended is 2'4" behind
the
lip of the basin to the opposite wall to allow stooping to the basin, and 22
inches
of elbow room either side of the basin centreline.

In fact I couldn't meet these recommendations completely with regards to the
basin
anyway, but my feeling is that as long as as you can get the required
clearances on
the loo, then just arrange the basin so that you can use it comfortably and
it doesn't
obstruct the loo. In the end I used a slimline plastic cistern behind the
loo ( boxed
in, but you could create space if necessary by going for a cistern mounted
some distance
up the wall, if you like retro!

My basin was mounted on the wall forward of the loo. The loo was over to the
left wall,
the basin mounted on the right. The basin is only 10.5"x14.5". The floor
space was 37"x47".
Not ideal, but works well enough.

Andy.

Dave Liquorice

On 24 Sep 2005 17:40:40 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote:

Fine for solids, most people can aim that well but liquids? Squat
toilets have a channel extending about 9" in front of the hole for
those with places for your feet each side.

After A good explosive curry and a few pints?

I didn't suffer any aim problems in Thailand when I had the trots.
Remember you are only inches from the pipe opening...

The simple solution is a wet room. No need for a sink either, or
toilet, so it could be quite small without trouble.

Yeah but how do you wash your hands from the (cold only) tap 3' up the
wall with soaking your feet and/or trousers? A small basin with a
waste pipe that empties on the the floor and thus rinses the channel
and pipe a bit is much better.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail