Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ronald Raygun Ronald Raygun is offline

Default Tiny Bathroom

Skipweasel wrote:

In article ,
ldomain says...
Basin on top of cistern, if the floor layout can work with it. Common
in Japan.

How does that work, then? Is the cistern remote from the pan?

No, the sink drains into the cistern to save water.

Ah, nice idea, except that it means you need to disable the
automatic fill, re-enabling it while you use the toilet so
that it will be full enough to flush properly when you're done.

But it seems to me that it *does* mean that the cistern is
remote from the pan, i.e. not close-coupled. If the cistern
is below the basin, the cistern can't also be above the pan,
can it, otherwise the pan would be in the way when using the
basin.

Also it strikes me there could be a problem of there not being
enough height for the bottom of the basin to be higher than the
"full" mark on the cistern while still having enough head of
water in the cistern to give a decent flush. Do they mount
their basin higher up? With steps leading up? Or do you stand
on the toilet to use the basin?

But yes, de-coupling the cistern from the pan does save a bit
of floor area - it means the pan can go right up against the
wall without leaving room for the cistern behind it.