Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

Default Annoying Sound Problem

Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 23/12/2010 18:59, the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

far as I could tell it is dependant on the machine itself. I seem to
recall having the problem with one machine then when it was replaced the
problem was resolved.

can't guarantee that :O)
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing
this problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that
this problem is not on there as well.

Jim

Never had that problem but on Bravo and Alibi we get a momentary loss of
sound, probably a second or less.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing
this problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that
this problem is not on there as well.

Jim

Never had that problem but on Bravo and Alibi we get a momentary loss of
sound, probably a second or less.

I doubt if it is related but I have noticed when I watch BBC news video
clips on my PC after around 2 seconds it pauses momentarily and then
restarts, then continues as normal.
We are using virgin cable but I have just thought it to be my PC.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

SS wrote:
"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching
certain channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing
this problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping
that this problem is not on there as well.

Jim

Never had that problem but on Bravo and Alibi we get a momentary
loss of sound, probably a second or less.

I doubt if it is related but I have noticed when I watch BBC news
video clips on my PC after around 2 seconds it pauses momentarily and
then restarts, then continues as normal.
We are using virgin cable but I have just thought it to be my PC.

I have noticed that. It only started in the last month or so ISTR.

--
Adam

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

SS wrote:

I have noticed when I watch BBC news video
clips on my PC after around 2 seconds it pauses momentarily and then
restarts, then continues as normal.

It has started doing that to me recently (Flash 10.1, FF3.6.13 on Linux,
ADSL connection ~2.6Mbps) doesn't happen on YouTube, just BBC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I've noticed that modern digi-decoders have taken to muting the sound if
there's data corruption of the audio comprared to the click/sqwark
noises older boxes tend to make. Similarly the screen'll go blank
instead of getting coloured blobs.

Slightly mis-aligned dish maybe?

--
Scott

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On Dec 24, 7:59 am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

I discovered that my wireless broadband modem was interfering with
half a dozen Sky channels. I fixed it by moving the modem to the other
side of the room.
If you have broadband try turning it off and seeing if the problem
still occurs.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"Matty F" wrote in message

I discovered that my wireless broadband modem was interfering with
half a dozen Sky channels. I fixed it by moving the modem to the other
side of the room.
If you have broadband try turning it off and seeing if the problem
still occurs.

I doubt if its the same SKY as its a satellite TV service which probably
doesn't reach NZ.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

Do you have the narration channel sometimes used as audio description turned
on? sometimes I gather if its left on, noise on the channel can duck the
sound as is the case with AD.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"the_constructor" wrote in message
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 23/12/2010 18:59, the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

I get a similar problem on freesat. My UPS has been noting some brief
drops in voltage during the cold weather and wind. I wonder if the
voltage drops are causing the boxes to lose signal briefly. I don't
think its rain fade. There doesn't appear to be any correlation betwenn
cloud cover and the dropping.

Peter Scott
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Do you have the narration channel sometimes used as audio description
turned on? sometimes I gather if its left on, noise on the channel can
duck the sound as is the case with AD.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!

Are you the Brian Gaff that used to post in the Virgin Media support groups?

Mr Pounder

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On Dec 24, 9:08 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

I discovered that my wireless broadband modem was interfering with
half a dozen Sky channels. I fixed it by moving the modem to the other
side of the room.
If you have broadband try turning it off and seeing if the problem
still occurs.

I doubt if its the same SKY as its a satellite TV service which probably
doesn't reach NZ.

I believe that there is a digital satellite television system called
Sky in the UK and Europe, as well as NZ. The transmission principle is
the same. Interference on some but not all channels is quite likely to
be caused by wi-fi.
My way of solving problems quickly is to try the easy solutions first,
e.g. switching off the wi-fi.
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
On 23/12/2010 18:59, the_constructor wrote:
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that
this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

I get a similar problem on freesat. My UPS has been noting some brief
drops in voltage during the cold weather and wind. I wonder if the voltage
drops are causing the boxes to lose signal briefly. I don't think its rain
fade. There doesn't appear to be any correlation betwenn cloud cover and
the dropping.

Peter Scott

Following on from my original post. On Christmas Day I was talking to my
daughters partner, they live in Cumbria and I live in County Durham, who
confirmed that he suffers exactly the same problems as I do. Hearing this, I
contacted a few more people to wish them compliments of the season and asked
them about their SKY boxes as well and surprise surprise, they also
confirmed the same problem.
I have done some recording on the new Freesat Humax box and there was
absolutely no trouble whatsoever. Piocture and sound as clear as anything.
My router, is on the other side of the house upstairs so no problems with
that causing the bother and it is also on a separate ring main.
Have phoned SKY and cancelled my subscription so Mr Murdoch will bnot be
getting anymore of my monies.
Jim

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"the_constructor" wrote in message
Ever since I have had SKY+ I have noticed that whilst watching certain
channels, there is a dip in sound of about 2 seconds.

Is this a fault of the SKY+ box or is it SKY themselves introducing this
problem to stop people enjoying the programmes.

I have just purchased a Freesat+ box made by Humax and am hoping that this
problem is not on there as well.

Jim

If you are using the digital sound this may occur when the sound system
switches, for example from Dobly Digital to 48k PCM, your AV amp (or even
the TV) may suppress output for a second or two while it adjusts to the new
stream.

This is most likely to occur on program changes or at the start / end /
between adverts. It may happen between items in live programs - e.g. the
news.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

the_constructor wrote:

Following on from my original post. On Christmas Day I was talking to my
daughters partner, they live in Cumbria and I live in County Durham, who
confirmed that he suffers exactly the same problems as I do. Hearing this, I
contacted a few more people to wish them compliments of the season and asked
them about their SKY boxes as well and surprise surprise, they also
confirmed the same problem.
I have done some recording on the new Freesat Humax box and there was
absolutely no trouble whatsoever. Piocture and sound as clear as anything.
My router, is on the other side of the house upstairs so no problems with
that causing the bother and it is also on a separate ring main.
Have phoned SKY and cancelled my subscription so Mr Murdoch will bnot be
getting anymore of my monies.
Jim

A very sensible solution.

--
Adrian
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 26/12/2010 03:39, Matty F wrote:
On Dec 24, 9:08 pm,
wrote:
"Matty wrote in message

I discovered that my wireless broadband modem was interfering with
half a dozen Sky channels. I fixed it by moving the modem to the other
side of the room.
If you have broadband try turning it off and seeing if the problem
still occurs.

I doubt if its the same SKY as its a satellite TV service which probably
doesn't reach NZ.

I believe that there is a digital satellite television system called
Sky in the UK and Europe, as well as NZ. The transmission principle is
the same. Interference on some but not all channels is quite likely to
be caused by wi-fi.
My way of solving problems quickly is to try the easy solutions first,
e.g. switching off the wi-fi.

I had sky here in the UK and wifi for five+ yrs with no problems. The
sky box and router where approx 10ft away from each other with a brick
wall between though laptop and mobiles registered a strong signal in the
room where the sky was installed.

Mike
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

"Walt Davidson" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:59:29 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Have phoned SKY and cancelled my subscription so Mr Murdoch will not be
getting anymore of my monies.

Did you have a protracted argument with them before they would accept
your cancellation? I believe they require 30 days' notice (paid for)
of cancellation!

--
Walt Davidson

Oh yes Walt, too true I did. I finished up telling the lad to stop giving me
the third degree, shut his mouth, open his ears and listen...... I JUST WANT
He gave me all the bumf that he was only asking and not pressuring me in any
way, funny, I thought he was trying to bully me into putting the sky in
another room..... I just told him that I had SKY Freesat in every room bar
the lounge, which I have, that shut him up.
I know the poor sod is only trying to do his job as per SKY protocol.
Jim G1SSO

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 26/12/2010 21:19, Walt Davidson wrote:
On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 19:51:13 -0000, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Did you have a protracted argument with them before they would accept
your cancellation? I believe they require 30 days' notice (paid for)
of cancellation!

Oh yes Walt, too true I did. I finished up telling the lad to stop giving me
the third degree, shut his mouth, open his ears and listen...... I JUST WANT
TO CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION....
He gave me all the bumf that he was only asking and not pressuring me in any
way, funny, I thought he was trying to bully me into putting the sky in
another room..... I just told him that I had SKY Freesat in every room bar
the lounge, which I have, that shut him up.
I know the poor sod is only trying to do his job as per SKY protocol.
Jim G1SSO

Ha ha! I thought as much. I actually cancelled my subscription once
before, in 1999, and even then they gave me the third degree! I told
them I was going to university for three years and would not have a
television set. They had no answer to that!

Now I am seriously considering cancelling again. At the moment I have
the full programme package (including HD but not 3D), and they have
very recently increased the monthly subscription to about £64 which is
more than I am content to pay. Freesat would suit me fine ... except
that I would be rather sorry to lose the 40 or so subscription HD
channels.

Walt (G3NYY)

I've left sky twice and I just told them I've just had an alternative
installed and they are too late to make offers.

With mobile companies I tell them I've just got one from work and they
are fine with me using it for personal calls. They offer me PAYG cards
and on two occasions FREE line rental with plenty of mins and texts,
which I've taken advantage of.

You just have to be very firm bordering on rude to leave a utility
company these days.

Mike

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

In article ,
says...

I had sky here in the UK and wifi for five+ yrs with no problems. The
sky box and router where approx 10ft away from each other with a brick
wall between though laptop and mobiles registered a strong signal in the
room where the sky was installed.

Signal level halves every time you double the distance so, taking your 10ft example, the
Sky box would see double the power if the separation was 5' and four times the power at
2' 6".

Put them next to each other - say 1' 3" apart, and the power level will increase
eightfold. In metric terms this would be 3m, 1.5m, 750cm & 375cm.

This is in free air - the brick wall, of course, will add additional attenuation!

It is interesting when the above is applied to mobile phones, where an additional factor
comes into play.

Because the base station has to handle many incoming transmissions at once, it likes to
have them all arriving at the same level, so there is an ongoing dialogue between base
and mobile which adjusts the mobile's transmit power appropriately.

Think about this the next time some parent starts crowing about their success in
preventing the big, bad mobile operator from putting up a mast near little Billy's
school, then happily send little Billy off to school with a microwave transmitter
(mobile) which now needs to transmit at a much higher power a mere 2cm from little
Billy's brain!

--

Terry
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

In article ,
Skipweasel wrote:

You just have to be very firm bordering on rude to leave a utility
company these days.

Or even to avoid getting joined up. I'm fairly sure Scottish Power tried
to slam me the other day. ....

aside: What does "slam" mean Skipweasel? I can guess, but it's not a
term I've ever heard, and I like precision in language.

J.
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

aside: What does "slam" mean Skipweasel? I can guess, but it's not a
term I've ever heard, and I like precision in language.

(sorry: that might come across as rude ... I meant that I like to be
precise when I use language, and therefore like to know proper meanings,
and origins.)

J.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

In article , lid
says...

In metric terms this would be 3m, 1.5m, 750cm & 375cm.

Whoops!

In metric terms this would be 3m, 1.5m, 750mm & 375mm.

or ...

In metric terms this would be 3m, 1.5m, 75cm & 37.5cm.

--

Terry
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

In article lalaw44-B9BF61.11261827122010@surfnet-
nl.ipv4.ptr.145.109.196.x.invalid, says...
Or even to avoid getting joined up. I'm fairly sure Scottish Power tried
to slam me the other day. ....

aside: What does "slam" mean Skipweasel? I can guess, but it's not a
term I've ever heard, and I like precision in language.

Oh, sorry. Slamming is when the door-to-door sales rep transfers you to
their firm whether you wanted to or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_slamming

That's specifically telephones, but it can happen with other services as
well.

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On Monday, December 27th, 2010 at 11:01:25h +0000, Terry Casey suggested:

then happily send little Billy off to school with a microwave transmitter
(mobile) which now needs to transmit at a much higher power a mere 2cm
from little Billy's brain!

Should Billy be chipped as well?

http://women.timesonline.co.UK/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article1788169.ece

If you do it for you pets, why not the children as well?

--
"You don't give a kid a gun for Christmas.€
-- Sergeant Joe Friday

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky
bod bod is offline

wrote:

[...]

For what it's worth, I have freeview and Freesat HD, the quality of SD
broadcasts off of the satellite is almost as good as HD quality.
The picture is that much sharper and clearer/better colours etc.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 27/12/2010 11:01, Terry Casey wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

My virginmedia V+ box is 50cm from my Netgear routerwhich is 10 cm away
from my TV with no effect either.

Who is billy?

Mike

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On Monday, December 27th, 2010 at 16:54:06h +0000, Bod explained:

For what it's worth, I have freeview and Freesat HD, the quality of SD
broadcasts off of the satellite is almost as good as HD quality. The
picture is that much sharper and clearer/better colours etc.

I thought that quite a number of the ITV-1 regions on satellite were
broadcast with a far below SD needed bit rate resulting in a picture
far worse than that available on Multiplex 2 / PSB-2 ?
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

wrote:

[...]

Who invited you here????

Mr Pounder

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

school, then happily send little Billy off to school with a microwave
transmitter
(mobile) which now needs to transmit at a much higher power a mere 2cm from

little
Billy's brain!

Except that little Billy or rather billie with be TxT'ing more often
than not...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 15:58:11 +0000, Paul Martin wrote:

Which is most odd, given that your Sky box and your Technomate are using
exactly the same datastreams off Astra 2 at 28.2°E (and 28.5°E for
Eurobird 1).

But there remains the question of whether or not upscaling is involved,
and if so, if the Technomate is doing better job at upscaling than the
$ky box?

Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 29/12/2010 15:58, Paul Martin wrote:
In article ,
Walt Davidson wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:54:06 +0000, Bod
wrote:

For what it's worth, I have freeview and Freesat HD, the quality of SD
broadcasts off of the satellite is almost as good as HD quality.
The picture is that much sharper and clearer/better colours etc.

Thanks. That's reassuring to know. I already have a Technomate
satellite receiver and I have noticed that the quality of SD pictures
received on that is often better than the SD pictures received on the
Sky HD+ box.

Which is most odd, given that your Sky box and your Technomate are
using exactly the same datastreams off Astra 2 at 28.2°E (and 28.5°E
for Eurobird 1).

Not really as the data stream is compressed and the picture quality will
depend upon the quality of the decoder as well as the graphics engine,
this is before we start talking 'upscaling'
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

On 12/23/2010 11:32 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
SS wrote:

I have noticed when I watch BBC news video
clips on my PC after around 2 seconds it pauses momentarily and then
restarts, then continues as normal.

It has started doing that to me recently (Flash 10.1, FF3.6.13 on Linux,
ADSL connection ~2.6Mbps) doesn't happen on YouTube, just BBC.

Perhaps they are testing their content driven Internet solutions.
"Remove the pesky 2 seconds by upgrading to our high-def content
broadband"

Wave bye-bye to net neutrality.
Posted to alt.satellite.tv.europe,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.tv.sky

http://www.bugsweeps.com/info/electr...arassment.html