Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tiling around bathtub - annoying problem...

Recently installed a new 5' acrylic tub in a new alcove in a new
bathroom. Alcove has ~5" wall on each side to center tub on a 5'11"
wall. The front edge of the tub extends slightly past the surface of
the 5" walls on either side (exact tub placement was determined by
location of floor joists and need to leave adequate clearance around
the toilet that sits next to the tub). Here's the layout (hopefully
this will display correctly):

___________
5" | | 5"
----|__________|----
| tub |
| O[]|
toilet

Tub surround is typical 6x6 porcelain tile to about 54" above top of
tub. Tile wraps around outside corners and covers the 5" alcove walls
also. Have already tiled inside of alcove and about half of the 5"
walls (from top of tub upwards). Problem: front edge of tub does not
extend far enough to be flush with or go past the surface of
tile--about half of the thickness of the tile sticks out past the edge
of the tub.

At this point, I'm not willing to tear out a bunch of stuff to fix this
problem-- this is month 14 of a gut rehab that could go on forever
anyways! I already have list of things I could/should have done to
prevent this. I'm looking for suggestions about how to work with what
I have. Tile around it, caulk the gap and live with it? Sand down the
front edge of the tub at the corners and tile over it? (Is that
possible?!) Other options I haven't thought of? Appreciate your
suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

wrote:
[...]

Didn't I see this posted in another forum or here before? My orginial
suggestion (or suggestion to another poster with same issue) was to
extend out those alcove walls. From your description it seems as you
have already tiled.

If I understand your issue I think I would try to file/sand/cut the edge
of the tub (We are talking about the tile lip, right?) Then tile/caulk
as required.

If you can post a picture it would be helpful.