Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-Fit Radiator

Hi all

The kichen saga continues..
The kitchen radiator was long since removed, to give access for wiring
chases etc.
It was moved to the garage probably 4-6 months ago.
Although the inlet/outlet ports were covered, it is likely that some rust
has formed inside the rad.

Due to slow progress and the likelihood of colder weather, I am considering
re-fitting the rad to take the chill off.
This would also allow testing of the new feed piping I am working on for a
kick space heater.

So, is there anything that can be done to "rinse out any rust" from the
radiator before re-fitting?
It is not an old tatty thing - moderish stelrad type bog-standard item.

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

The kichen saga continues..
The kitchen radiator was long since removed, to give access for wiring
chases etc.
It was moved to the garage probably 4-6 months ago.
Although the inlet/outlet ports were covered, it is likely that some rust
has formed inside the rad.

Due to slow progress and the likelihood of colder weather, I am considering
re-fitting the rad to take the chill off.
This would also allow testing of the new feed piping I am working on for a
kick space heater.

So, is there anything that can be done to "rinse out any rust" from the
radiator before re-fitting?
It is not an old tatty thing - moderish stelrad type bog-standard item.

Thanks

Assuming your cold water pressure is reasonable, connect a hosepipe to
each port (alternately, and several times), and give it a good blasting
until the emerging water is clear?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
[...]

Thinking about it further, I believe that various 'colas' contain
phosphoric acid - the active ingredient in de-rusting materials like
'Kurerust'. They can be used to remove surface contamination and
corrosion from metals. You might like to experiment with a piece of
rusty metal.

If it works, to really get rid of all the internal surface rust, you
could try filling the radiator with a bottle of cola. Make sure you use
the 'Real Thing'! ;o))

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...7xsKeAJ:en.wik
ipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola+coke+phosphoric+acid&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote...

Hi all

The kichen saga continues..
The kitchen radiator was long since removed, to give access for wiring
chases etc.
It was moved to the garage probably 4-6 months ago.
Although the inlet/outlet ports were covered, it is likely that some rust
has formed inside the rad.

Due to slow progress and the likelihood of colder weather, I am
considering re-fitting the rad to take the chill off.
This would also allow testing of the new feed piping I am working on for a
kick space heater.

So, is there anything that can be done to "rinse out any rust" from the
radiator before re-fitting?
It is not an old tatty thing - moderish stelrad type bog-standard item.

Plug one end, stand on that end, fill with cheap cola and leave for a
weekend, the phosphoric acid in it will dissolve the rust and passivate the
inside surface with iron phosphate in its place? Then rinse until the kids
can't drink any more...

Dave H
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

On 05/11/2010 12:12, Dave H. wrote:
[...]

Are you supposed to publish the recipe for irn bru?
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sounds interesting, but what effect/reaction does any residual Cola or iron
phosphate have with system inhibitors etc.?

Phil

Possible? Aga and radiator.. Tim.. UK diy 5 July 8th 09 11:13 AM
Snapped the radiator tap off the radiator (Now it's boiling & can't swtich it off) [email protected] UK diy 20 April 18th 06 09:37 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Radiator Trish UK diy 1 March 8th 05 05:50 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM