Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Possible? Aga and radiator..

Hi all,

We have an Aga with back boiler in kitchen which is connected to a direct HW
cylinder on the first floor. It works via thermosyphon and has done for
years.

It is apt to kettling the cylinder at times, usually during the night when
the lids are shut. We always have an excess of very hot water when the aga
is running at cooking temperature.

Adjacent to the kitchen & behind the Aga, we have an un-heated utility. Is
there any way that a small radiator could be plumbed into the thermosyphon
pipes so as to both heat the utility somewhat, and also provide abit of a
heatsink to the aga to prevent it kettling the cylinder???

TIA Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:11:26 +0100, Tim.. wrote:

Hi all,

We have an Aga with back boiler in kitchen which is connected to a direct HW
cylinder on the first floor. It works via thermosyphon and has done for
years.

It is apt to kettling the cylinder at times, usually during the night when
the lids are shut. We always have an excess of very hot water when the aga
is running at cooking temperature.

Adjacent to the kitchen & behind the Aga, we have an un-heated utility. Is
there any way that a small radiator could be plumbed into the thermosyphon
pipes so as to both heat the utility somewhat, and also provide abit of a
heatsink to the aga to prevent it kettling the cylinder???

If the proposed heatsink (aka heat dump) rad is on the same level as the
Aga it would probably have to be pumped to be effective. My mum's
(solid-fuel-converted-to-gas) Aga boils its cylinder quite regularly. I've
been thinking of (a) putting a TMV on the outlet so it doesn't strip your
flesh from the bone when you inadvertently wash under it when it's hot (b)
converting it to a thermal store (c) getting Doctor Drivel involved in
yet another discussion degenerating into a "you're a plant-pot" slanging
match with Dave P (Andy Hall having sadly popped his clogs) :-/

--
John Stumbles

Hypnotising Hypnotists Can Be Tricky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
[...]

Yes the rad would be ~at the same level as the aga, and i wondered if it
would need to be pumped via a thermostat or timer...

TIA Tim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

I think that as long as the pipe bore is fairly large, and the main
circuit has height, you can pop another rad *in the same circuit* and it
will take flow.
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

:-/

I think that as long as the pipe bore is fairly large, and the main
circuit has height, you can pop another rad *in the same circuit* and
it will take flow.

Might it help to use a tall radiator with feed at the bottom & return taken
off the top?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I do not converse with plantpots. That is clear. I remind them of their
condition. I never called Andy a plantpot - everything else but not a
plantpot

A heat bank is probably the way. The gravity flow pipe from the Aga to the
top of the cylinder, so the heat is fed right into the plate heat exchanger
when DHW is called. Also if there is a boiler that can be used to heat the
store too. A high limit stat set to say 95C can operate the DHW pump which
acts a shunt pump, pumping hotter water at the top to the bottom of the
cylinder to the cooler bottom. There are devices that mechanically operate
and allow cold mains water to extract heat from the store and go to a drain.
Simple to do. It can also do the CH as well.

One radiator does not come on... ? biskitz4cheez Home Repair 5 November 9th 06 02:21 AM
Snapped the radiator tap off the radiator (Now it's boiling & can't swtich it off) [email protected] UK diy 20 April 18th 06 09:37 PM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 11:41 AM
Radiator not getting hot Paul UK diy 7 September 18th 04 10:03 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM