Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim.. Tim.. is offline

Default Possible? Aga and radiator..

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 17:11:26 +0100, Tim.. wrote:

Hi all,

We have an Aga with back boiler in kitchen which is connected to a direct
HW
cylinder on the first floor. It works via thermosyphon and has done for
years.

It is apt to kettling the cylinder at times, usually during the night
when
the lids are shut. We always have an excess of very hot water when the
aga
is running at cooking temperature.

Adjacent to the kitchen & behind the Aga, we have an un-heated utility.
Is
there any way that a small radiator could be plumbed into the
thermosyphon
pipes so as to both heat the utility somewhat, and also provide abit of a
heatsink to the aga to prevent it kettling the cylinder???

If the proposed heatsink (aka heat dump) rad is on the same level as the
Aga it would probably have to be pumped to be effective. My mum's
(solid-fuel-converted-to-gas) Aga boils its cylinder quite regularly. I've
been thinking of (a) putting a TMV on the outlet so it doesn't strip your
flesh from the bone when you inadvertently wash under it when it's hot
(b)
converting it to a thermal store (c) getting Doctor Drivel involved in
yet another discussion degenerating into a "you're a plant-pot" slanging
match with Dave P (Andy Hall having sadly popped his clogs) :-/

Yes the rad would be ~at the same level as the aga, and i wondered if it
would need to be pumped via a thermostat or timer...

TIA Tim.