Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Re-Fit Radiator

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message ,
TheScullster writes
Hi all

The kichen saga continues..
The kitchen radiator was long since removed, to give access for wiring
chases etc.
It was moved to the garage probably 4-6 months ago.
Although the inlet/outlet ports were covered, it is likely that some rust
has formed inside the rad.

Due to slow progress and the likelihood of colder weather, I am considering
re-fitting the rad to take the chill off.
This would also allow testing of the new feed piping I am working on for a
kick space heater.

So, is there anything that can be done to "rinse out any rust" from the
radiator before re-fitting?
It is not an old tatty thing - moderish stelrad type bog-standard item.

Thanks

Assuming your cold water pressure is reasonable, connect a hosepipe to
each port (alternately, and several times), and give it a good blasting
until the emerging water is clear?

Thinking about it further, I believe that various 'colas' contain
phosphoric acid - the active ingredient in de-rusting materials like
'Kurerust'. They can be used to remove surface contamination and
corrosion from metals. You might like to experiment with a piece of
rusty metal.

If it works, to really get rid of all the internal surface rust, you
could try filling the radiator with a bottle of cola. Make sure you use
the 'Real Thing'! ;o))

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...7xsKeAJ:en.wik
ipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola+coke+phosphoric+acid&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

--
Ian