Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to protect cars from bird and squirrel sh1t?

I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be
particularly good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while
perched over the cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and
having to clean the cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or
shield the cars?

Help!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be particularly
good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while perched over the
cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and having to clean the
cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or shield
the cars?

Help!

Cut the tree down simples

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2010 21:09, NoSpam wrote:
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be
particularly good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while
perched over the cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and
having to clean the cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or
shield the cars?

Get small realistic looking stuffed toy squirels and site them in the
tree. And have some hanging upside down on bits of rope, with red paint
for effect. The real squirels will either see them as claimers of
teritory not to do battle with, or get the hint of what may happen to
them if they venture a bit too near.

Or more seriously stick a particular good likeness of a creature of prey
that birds and squirrels don't get on with. A hawk perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuOOl4oEQAI

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 8:09 am, NoSpam wrote:
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be
particularly good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while
perched over the cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and
having to clean the cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or
shield the cars?

Help!

Run stainless steel clotheslines across the drive and put a cover over
them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 23:25:15 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

[...]

I would suspect that they would soon realize that the stuffed animals
are fake and ignore them.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A Plumber wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be particularly
good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while perched over the
cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and having to clean the
cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or shield
the cars?

Help!

Cut the tree down simples

Sadly, there's a TPO
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:09 am, NoSpam wrote:
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be
particularly good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while
perched over the cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and
having to clean the cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or
shield the cars?

Help!

Run stainless steel clotheslines across the drive and put a cover over
them.

Strangely, that's exactly what I thought of last night after writing
this plea. I might even be anchor one end on the front of the garage so
only 2 poles would be needed plus either some tent fabric or sail cloth.
The tricky bit might be making it look acceptable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 29, 11:12 pm, NoSpam wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:09 am, NoSpam wrote:
[...]

I have cheap (polypropylene?) tarpaulins. Some last well in the sun.
You'd be best to pull it tight so it doesn't flap in the wind and
annoy the neighbours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:10:23 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

Cut the tree down simples

Sadly, there's a TPO

Pick and pickle all the walnuts. No food for critters they'll go
elsewhere (in more ways than one).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:10:23 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

Cut the tree down simples

Sadly, there's a TPO

Pick and pickle all the walnuts. No food for critters they'll go
elsewhere (in more ways than one).

Another good suggestion, but the tree has been around for a few hundred
years and is rather large - picking them would require a sky hook.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:09 am, NoSpam wrote:
[...]

After some further thought I can do this without any poles. If I run a
s/s wire between 2 trees (parallel to the front of the garage) I can
then run 2 wires back from this first wire to the front of the garage.
The cover would be stretched between the 2 wires.

Question: how can I attach the wires to the trees in a semi-permanent
without damaging the trees? Some sort of strap?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-09-30, NoSpam wrote:

After some further thought I can do this without any poles. If I run a
s/s wire between 2 trees (parallel to the front of the garage) I can
then run 2 wires back from this first wire to the front of the garage.
The cover would be stretched between the 2 wires.

Question: how can I attach the wires to the trees in a semi-permanent
without damaging the trees? Some sort of strap?

Vine eyes.

One tree has a TPO on it so I think a strap of some form would be
preferable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:58:44 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

Pick and pickle all the walnuts. No food for critters they'll go
elsewhere (in more ways than one).

Another good suggestion, but the tree has been around for a few hundred
years and is rather large - picking them would require a sky hook.

Or a long stick but you normally pickle green walnuts so they might
not knock off that easily.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NoSpam" wrote in message
I park under a huge old walnut tree and this year seems to be particularly
good for walnuts, which the birds and squirrels eat while perched over the
cars. They then use the same perches as a toilet and having to clean the
cars every day has become rather tiresome.
The garage is full of "stuff" so that's not really an option.
It's a double-wide drive so a normal car porch would be difficult (has
anyone succeeded with a cantilevered car porch?)

I don't really want to resort to car covers because I can't see me using
them every time. Any suggestions of how to dissuade the critters or shield
the cars?

Get a high powered air rifle, dual job of getting rid of vermin and keeping
car clean, with added bonus of fun.

Then when you get really pleased about shooting things with fur & feathers
you can get one of the BFSA stickers for the back of your car to let
everyone know what you do for fun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"NoSpam" wrote in message
[...]