Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Washing Powder for thoes with sensitive skin

Hi all,
I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Thanks for any help.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Washing Powder for those with sensitive skin

"Mick." wrote in message
Hi all,
I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should
use a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Thanks for any help.

Its better not to let the soap powder near you skin.
Get a machine that rinses well and preferably one you can add extra rinses.
Don't forget the fabric softener can also cause reactions so you may want to
avoid them.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mick.
writes
Hi all,
I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Do you already use a non-bio detergent as that is the first step.

A family member has mild sensitivity to bio detergent and found that a
switch to persil non-bio (liquid) was enough.

I'd also suggest changing to liquid stuff dispensed by a ball in the
drum, that way there's no risk of powder residue being left in and
around the dispensing drawer and contaminating the rinse water.

Don't use fab conditioner, it's evil.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mick.
writes
Hi all,
I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Soap nuts do produce soap (of sorts - saponin which will lather up a bit
in water), but friend of mine used some in their washing and I was not
that impressed.

Others have recommended non-bio and extra rinses etc.

It does of course depend in part in what you are sensitive to in the
powder. We use the basic Ecover washing powder which has less
unnecessary added stuff, no bleaches, optical whiteners, perfumes etc.
Note this si not the one now sold in Supermarkets - this is an
'integrated ' one as they call it with the above added.

They still sell the basic powder, but you might need to hunt around for
it - try a local wholefood shop? or online. We buy 10 kg sacks from a
wholesalers (Suma) as part of buying group.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 9, 9:16*am, "Mick." wrote:
Hi all,
* * * * I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Thanks for any help.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Mick.

Putting the soap into the drum should help, & cleaning out teh soap
drawer.

Ecover washing up liquid is much better with skin than washing powder,
but it has no froth prevention, so judge it worng and the froth
monster will chase you down the hall. Salt is the traditional way to
stop overfrothing if it happens.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 04:28:32 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:

On Sep 9, 9:16*am, "Mick." wrote:
[...]

Used Ecover WU liquid as soap/shampoo/laundry liquid for hand-washed clothes
when away from home for about 20 years.
Currently use Bio-D laundry liquid with no problems and the machine doesn't
stink or go black.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2010 09:16, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,
I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Didn't like to soap nut shells myself. Avoid all major brands of soap
powder or liquids, the residue they leave is just nasty !

I've used the Boots stuff, which is good.
The pink bag of Fileti (or something like that)
Currently using Ecover washing liquid, powder OK to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"HappyHunter" wrote in message
I've used the Boots stuff, which is good.
The pink bag of Fileti (or something like that)
Currently using Ecover washing liquid, powder OK to.

Thanks all for your help, I will try the Boots washing powder first, in a
ball.
Thanks,
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:48:32 +0100, Mick. wrote:

"HappyHunter" wrote in message
I've used the Boots stuff, which is good. The pink bag of Fileti (or
something like that) Currently using Ecover washing liquid, powder OK
to.

Thanks all for your help, I will try the Boots washing powder first, in
a ball.

I've just remembered...

A while ago, we had an ex washing machine repairer on this group; big
guy, think he did 'strong man' stuff.

Anyway, he had a daughter who had sensitive skin, and he said the
concentrated Costco powder was very good. Kirkland brand, big tubs. As it
happens, we'd just started using it too, and it proved to be very good
for washing my eczema-prone son's clothes - far better than Persil or
whatever.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 9, 9:16*am, "Mick." wrote:
Hi all,
* * * * I expect this os OT but this seemed the best place for sencible
answers.
I have just been advised that becouse of a skind condition that I should use
a special washing powder for sensitive skin.

I have bought some from Boots, but have also been told that " Soap Nut
Shells" are even better, but could not get any in any of the supermarkets!
Has anyone tried them before I buy some online?

Thanks for any help.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Mick.

Lots of good advice already. Now, you've got to prioritise it.

1. The powder you use in your washing machine. Whatever else, steer
well clear of biological washing powders

2. The quantity of powder you use per wash. Most people use far too
much. Use the minimum level necessary to do the job.

3. All washing machines are NOT equal and you may have to address the
problem in various ways.

With an existing washing machine investigate whether it's
electronically programmable. Miele machines, for example, are
readily programmable to insert an extra rinse and increase the water
levels. Not all can be done so easily, so make sure that if you can't
force the machine to do it automatically, then you manually set the
machine to give an extra rinse. Similarly with water level -- if your
machine has a setting for extra water level you may be able to set it
either permanently or semi-permanently via the control panel even if
the machine can't be electronically programmed.

When buying a new machine, make sure you buy one which can be
electronically prgrammed to give those facilities and that you buy a
model with a high rating for rinsing efficiency.

It's a real problem that with the "green agenda" there's a lot of
pressure on manufacturers to make machines which use less water. All
too often that translates into less effective rinsing. Effective
rinsing usually uses more water and adds to the cycle time, but that's
a small price to pay for avoiding skin irritation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John,
Thank you for your good advice, I will follow it.
I was also advised that as well using non biological washing powders, was to
put the powder in a ball "with lots of holes in) in with the washing insted
of putting powder in the top draw as it somtime sticke there and it then
added to rince water.
But I cannot as yet find anywhere to get the ball from, I have tried
hardware stores, and was told they come free with the powder, but I have
looked at packets in a supermarket but could see nothing on it?
Mick.

"John MacLeod" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 9:16 am, "Mick." wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 10:35*am, "Mick." wrote:
Hi John,
* * * * * Thank you for your good advice, I will follow it.
I was also advised that as well using non biological washing powders, was to
put the powder in a ball "with lots of holes in) in with the washing insted
of putting powder in the top draw as it somtime sticke there and it then
added to rince water.
But I cannot as yet find anywhere to get the ball from, I have tried
hardware stores, and was told they come free with the powder, but I have
looked at packets in a supermarket but could see nothing on it?

No idea about the balls, but I can't see that that would make the
situation any better -- the powder could stick in them instead!

Provided you don't use excessive amounts of powder there shouldn't be
a major problem with powder sticking in the dispenser drawer. I think
that problem is largely caused by the use of excessive amounts of
powder and cold washes.

Most machine manufacturers recommend an occasional very hot wash to
ensure that the machine is thoroughly cleaned.

It's probably worthwhile using the hottest wash that each type of
clothing will bear as a method of getting both the clothes and the
machine as clean as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 10:35*am, "Mick." wrote:

But I cannot as yet find anywhere to get the ball from, I have tried
hardware stores, and was told they come free with the powder, but I have
looked at packets in a supermarket but could see nothing on it?

The powder manufacturers will usually post you a ball if you phone the
customer care number on the box. I guess it's cheaper that way than
including a ball in every box.