Old April 24th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

Default Washing machine - how to remove hardened soap powder?

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Old April 24th 06, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

Bob Eager wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

rub it off with a wet cloth? Run the drawer under the tap?

NT

Old April 24th 06, 02:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Bob Eager wrote:

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

Many powders use fillers like chalk as bulking agents. Hence you may
find a descaler or some other mild acid will help remove it. Especially
if you can let it soak for a bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 24th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Bob Eager" wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Assuming it is a mixture of detergent and limescale, you could try soaking
it in citric acid washing machine descaler. If you live near a Waitrose shop
they do their own Ultima brand washing machine descaler for about 2.60 GPP
for a 250g packet.

Phil

Old April 24th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:44:18 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Many powders use fillers like chalk as bulking agents. Hence you may
find a descaler or some other mild acid will help remove it. Especially
if you can let it soak for a bit.

Aha. Thanks...John and Phil.

I have some citric acid here somewhere...was thinking of trying that...

Old April 24th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:44:47 +0100, "Phil Anthropist"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Assuming it is a mixture of detergent and limescale, you could try soaking
it in citric acid washing machine descaler. If you live near a Waitrose shop
they do their own Ultima brand washing machine descaler for about 2.60 GPP
for a 250g packet.

Phil

And in future clean it more often and you won't have that problem again ..:-)

Stuart

Old April 24th 06, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected]

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:32:21 UTC, wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

rub it off with a wet cloth? Run the drawer under the tap?

Ha! If it was that easy, I wouldn't have asked! This stuff seems near
insoluble. We're in a hard water area but this is localised to the soap
tray.

I'm relieved to hear it, was worried

As a descaler, citric acid is fairly pathetic. Boiling temp and long
long immersion times are nedeed to get anywhere. HCL OTOH is instant,
and can be bought dilute as some brands of limescale removing toilet
cleaner, or not as dilute as brick cleaner. Obivously HCl eats things,
so beware of metal, cotton, eye contact etc.

NT

Old July 8th 16, 07:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bob Eager, bosun65 wrote:
I have just tried Kilrock kettle descaler neat on ours and it has done the job.
Do wear gloves and mind your eyes and be patient, it doesn't come off quickly.
I used an old toothbrush as well to help it off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...er-240679-.htm

Old July 8th 16, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 July 2016 19:44:04 UTC+1, bosun65 wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, bosun65 wrote:
I have just tried Kilrock kettle descaler neat on ours and it has done the job.

I think after 10 years even lemon juice would have done the job.

Owain

kms kuba sewing machinery Woodworking 0 April 17th 06 10:48 AM
kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 2 March 29th 06 07:08 PM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 5th 06 11:45 PM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM
zanussi washing machine - battery fallen down soap chute Matthew UK diy 11 December 10th 03 01:46 AM