Old April 24th 06, 01:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

Default Washing machine - how to remove hardened soap powder?

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Old April 24th 06, 01:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

rub it off with a wet cloth? Run the drawer under the tap?

NT

Old April 24th 06, 03:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Bob Eager wrote:

We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

Many powders use fillers like chalk as bulking agents. Hence you may
find a descaler or some other mild acid will help remove it. Especially
if you can let it soak for a bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 24th 06, 07:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Bob Eager" wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Assuming it is a mixture of detergent and limescale, you could try soaking
it in citric acid washing machine descaler. If you live near a Waitrose shop
they do their own Ultima brand washing machine descaler for about 2.60 GPP
for a 250g packet.

Phil

Old April 24th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:44:18 UTC, John Rumm
wrote:

Many powders use fillers like chalk as bulking agents. Hence you may
find a descaler or some other mild acid will help remove it. Especially
if you can let it soak for a bit.

Aha. Thanks...John and Phil.

I have some citric acid here somewhere...was thinking of trying that...

Old April 24th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:44:47 +0100, "Phil Anthropist"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote:
We have a quantity of hardened soap powder (at least, I assume that's
what it is) in the soap powder tray, and in the recess it fits into.
This is an old Hotpoint.

It's causing problems moving the tray; it's very hard to scrape off. Any
useful tips on removing it?

I'd rather avoid the thermic lance...

Assuming it is a mixture of detergent and limescale, you could try soaking
it in citric acid washing machine descaler. If you live near a Waitrose shop
they do their own Ultima brand washing machine descaler for about 2.60 GPP
for a 250g packet.

Phil

And in future clean it more often and you won't have that problem again ..:-)

Stuart

Old July 8th 16, 08:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bob Eager, bosun65 wrote:
I have just tried Kilrock kettle descaler neat on ours and it has done the job.
Do wear gloves and mind your eyes and be patient, it doesn't come off quickly.
I used an old toothbrush as well to help it off.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...er-240679-.htm

Old July 8th 16, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 July 2016 19:44:04 UTC+1, bosun65 wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, bosun65 wrote:
I have just tried Kilrock kettle descaler neat on ours and it has done the job.

I think after 10 years even lemon juice would have done the job.

Owain

kms kuba sewing machinery Woodworking 0 April 17th 06 11:48 AM
kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 2 March 29th 06 08:08 PM
Washing machine has filled up with water whilst turned off! pcyljmb UK diy 5 January 6th 06 12:45 AM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 02:09 AM
zanussi washing machine - battery fallen down soap chute Matthew UK diy 11 December 10th 03 02:46 AM