Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine balance cutoff too sensitive

My Maytag washer is 11 years old and over the past year or so the out-
of-balance cutoff keeps triggering even when there is no severe out-of-
balance condition. It never did this over the life of the machine, in
fact it always tended to be very tolerant of off balance loads. I can
get it going again now sometimes by just flipping the lid alone, and
sometimes by shifting the load, but it is a nuisance. Happens in the
spin cycles.

Is this a hard thing to fix? Where do I start? What part am I
looking to replace?

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
My Maytag washer is 11 years old and over the past year or so the out-
of-balance cutoff keeps triggering even when there is no severe out-of-
balance condition. It never did this over the life of the machine, in
fact it always tended to be very tolerant of off balance loads. I can
get it going again now sometimes by just flipping the lid alone, and
sometimes by shifting the load, but it is a nuisance. Happens in the
spin cycles.

Is this a hard thing to fix? Where do I start? What part am I
looking to replace?

thanks

I'll make a WAG that maybe one of the "restoring springs" which keep the
tub centered has gone to "spring heaven".

Check for that by (with power off) pushing the tub sideways as far as it
will go in various directions and releasing it. If a spring is broken it
won't return to near centered when released.

Not a difficult fix, go to:

http://www.repairclinic.com/

for help and parts.

Good Luck,