Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Default Cutting down the cost of washing machine powder

I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how
white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are doing? It was not so
long ago that it was found some of these powders actually cause the clothes
fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2010 8:10 AM, john bently wrote:
I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how
white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are doing? It was not so
long ago that it was found some of these powders actually cause the clothes
fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you are using a lot more detergent than you need to use. I
also believe the cost of liquid concentrates are lower and was advised
to use them as friendlier to my septic system.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 8:43*am, Frank wrote:
On 2/19/2010 8:10 AM, john bently wrote: I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
[...]

Good grief! That's 5.5lbs of detergent. Unless you're washing
clothes for a platoon, that shouldn't have to be purchased "week after
week". For a family, it should last months. Don't they have sales
at the supermarket on this stuff? Here in the USA the supermarkets
have various brands on sale all the time. I use whatever happens to
be the best deal, usually one of the lesser known brands, and buy a
couple jugs when it's on sale. I get it for maybe $3 for a 2x
concentrate small to med jug. I then have enough for months.

I haven't ever done a test to see if there is any difference between
say Tide and one of the cheaper brands. All I know is I don't have
really tough cleaning, eg no kids, no dirty work clothes, etc and the
off brands work fine. Unless you have some very high usage
requirements, I can't imagine it's worth it to screw around trying to
figure out how to make detergent.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

"john bently" writes:

I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

I buy a large bucket of Sears Ultra HE detergent for around $20. I
generally do two to three loads of laundry a week and one bucket lasts
probably 4 years. I only use about half the prescribed amount since my
water is quite hard. Everything seems to come clean with half the amount
of detergent.

I don't consider $5 a year to be too much to pay for laundry detergent.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 5:10*am, "john bently" wrote:
I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. *In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how
white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are doing? *It was not so
long ago that it was found some of these powders actually cause the clothes
fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? * *Thanks for any advice.

As in buying anything, don't go for the advertised stuff, buy teh
house brand. Lately a "Basic" brand showed up. On sale for IIRC
around $8 for 20 lb bucket. That is less than a third the cost of the
major brands.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

john bently wrote:
I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine
powder manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to
make the washing power inside the box. In all events having to pay
between £4.50 and £6.50 odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week
mounts up to a big expenditure.
There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts
about how white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are
doing? It was not so long ago that it was found some of these
powders actually cause the clothes fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general
rule, is there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be
made up to put in a washing machine? Thanks for any advice.

Unless your water is unusual, you can probably use way less detergent than the
detergent box says.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Question for the group....

I've always used liquid detergents but find it messy at
times

Are powders just as good and maybe cheaper?

Also, I use detergents with NO scents, smells, etc!!

Does there exist a powder like that for top loader (or
FL) use?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

john bently wrote:

I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder manufacturers more to make the carboard box
than it does to make the washing power inside the box.

Thats a lie. If it did, some would supply them in plastic bags etc.

In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50 odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big
expenditure.

I dont use anything like that much.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how white etc, etc, but do they really know
what they are doing?

Yes.

It was not so long ago that it was found some of these
powders actually cause the clothes fabrics to rot.

No they dont.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is there not a simpler less expensive
alternative that could be made up to put in a washing machine?

Yes, and that is trivially buyable too.

Obviously those that do not advertise will be cheaper,
but there is rather more risk with cheap chinese crap.

Thanks for any advice.

Even advice to shove you head up a dead bear's arse ?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

john bently wrote:

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? Thanks for any advice.

Buy a bucket of laundry soap powder at Costco and it will last you six
months to a year. Use half the amount they recommend. Avoid liquid
laundry detergent which is far more expensive than powder.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 1:59*pm, SMS wrote:
john bently wrote:
Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? * *Thanks for any advice.

Buy a bucket of laundry soap powder at Costco and it will last you six
months to a year. Use half the amount they recommend. Avoid liquid
laundry detergent which is far more expensive than powder.

I don't know if there is a COSTCO in the UK, where the OP seems to be
located. But, if they have the equivalent of Walmart or Sams Club in
the UK, check out their prices. Also, in the US we have "Consumers
Reports" that has done a comparison of many different brands of
clothes washing soap. And, as others have said try using half the
amount the manufacturer recommends and see if that isn't just as
good. The mfgr has no incentive to recommend anything less than the
maximum amount they can get you to use and still have most of it come
out in the rinse.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:

I've never used liquid detergents, and I never use detergents with scents.

When I've calculated it in the past, powdered detergents are way cheaper where
I've shopped.

what is the brand you use?
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 8:10*am, "john bently" wrote:
I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. *In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how
white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are doing? *It was not so
long ago that it was found some of these powders actually cause the clothes
fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? * *Thanks for any advice.

I use the detergent depending on how soiled the clothes are. On my
regular office clothes about 1/4 of the suggested amount. When Ive
been working in the yard about 1/2. Wifes undies...double strength.
Seriously though I use about 1/4 the amount unless something is really
dirty or greasy. Rubbing a little Octagon soap into the dirty spots on
my work clothes really helps. I didnt realize how much we were paying
for laundry powders until I had to go off for training for 6wks.

Jimmie

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:43:18 -0500, Frank wrote:

[...]

Yup. I use Bio-D liquid and get about 100 washes out of 5li. The machine
stays (reasonably) clean and never smells. So, for me, about £17 p.a.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:10:06 -0000, "john bently"
wrote:

I remember reading a while ago that it costs the washing machine powder
manufacturers more to make the carboard box than it does to make the washing
power inside the box. In all events having to pay between £4.50 and £6.50
odd for a box weighing 2.4Kg week after week mounts up to a big expenditure.

There is all this endless chat from manufacturers in their adverts about how
white etc, etc, but do they really know what they are doing? It was not so
long ago that it was found some of these powders actually cause the clothes
fabrics to rot.

Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? Thanks for any advice.

There is Naptha Laundry soap, washing soda and Mule Team Borax. There
is a home recipe where you can make a laundry gel at a fraction of the
cost of laundry soap powders. The home made stuff does not have some
of the additives, fabric conditioners, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I find that with softened water, I can use 1/4 to 1/3 of the recommended
dose of detergent, and it still gets the clothes clean. In fact, in my
previous apartment, until I cut down on the amount of detergent, I had
trouble getting the clothes to rinse clean of all the soap. Had to run
the washer a second time with no soap added to get the rinse water to
come up clear.

--
aem sends...
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Jeff The Drunk writes:

Do you own an He washer? I own a Kenmore front loading He and it uses
about one third the detergent that the top loading Kenmore of 1975 it
replaced used. The trade off is the wash cycle is longer. In fact the
longest cycle with pre-wash and extra rinse is almost 2 hours!

Yes, I have a front load washer that recommends HE detergent. I think
there are more choices for HE detergent now, but years ago the large
bucket of Sears HE detergent was the least expensive way to go.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"hr(bob) " writes:
On Feb 19, 1:59*pm, SMS wrote:
john bently wrote:
Since most peoples clothes are not really that dirty as a general rule, is
there not a simpler less expensive alternative that could be made up to put
in a washing machine? * *Thanks for any advice.

Buy a bucket of laundry soap powder at Costco and it will last you six
months to a year. Use half the amount they recommend. Avoid liquid
laundry detergent which is far more expensive than powder.

I don't know if there is a COSTCO in the UK, where the OP seems to be
located.

Costco exist in the UK, and I buy my washing detergent powder
in the giant boxes from there. Takes me 1-2 years to get through
one. It's much cheaper than buying the regular size boxes in shops
(keep an eye out for Costco special offers as you start running out),
but main reason is I don't have to buy and carry it home so often.
Adjust dose to match the amount of dirt you expect it to need to
remove from the clothes.

Also, in the US we have "Consumers
Reports" that has done a comparison of many different brands of
clothes washing soap. And, as others have said try using half the
amount the manufacturer recommends and see if that isn't just as
good. The mfgr has no incentive to recommend anything less than the
maximum amount they can get you to use and still have most of it come
out in the rinse.

Bare in mind US washing soap and European washing detergent are
completely different things, because the washing machines have
completely different methods of washing.

--
Andrew Gabriel