Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If anyone forgets the corkscrew.....

would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe. The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not the
world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it moves at
all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit that justifies
it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same principle as putting a
hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head travelling downwards, shaft
stops, head carries on downwards and fits snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and
cork travelling in same direction, bottle stops, cork should continue same
way as the bottle, not go in the opposite direction - shouldn't it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message

would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

Please try, then report back.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe. The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not the
world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it moves at
all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit that justifies
it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same principle as putting a
hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head travelling downwards, shaft
stops, head carries on downwards and fits snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and
cork travelling in same direction, bottle stops, cork should continue same
way as the bottle, not go in the opposite direction - shouldn't it?

As he says it is the shock wave travelling through the wine that pushes
out the cork.
The cork does not have sufficient mass for your suggestion to move
downwards to any degree. In the case of the hammer head, the head is
much heavier so dominates over the shock travelling up the handle.

Not sure why he demonstrates this on a wall, I think I'll try the floor
first.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

I assume the cork has to be in contact with the wine for it to work - it if
were on the floor, there is an air gap!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2010 11:30, Pete Zahut wrote:
would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe. The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not the
world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it moves at
all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit that justifies
it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same principle as putting a
hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head travelling downwards, shaft
stops, head carries on downwards and fits snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and
cork travelling in same direction, bottle stops, cork should continue same
way as the bottle, not go in the opposite direction - shouldn't it?

Seems like the cork, being lighter, gets left behind somehow. We've got
a couple of physics grads on here, so I'm sure an answer will soon be
forthcoming.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
"Bob wrote in message
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Good point Toby!

At least someone had their thinking head on! lol

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/10 12:19, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

GCSE physics. Newton's Laws. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Same reason newton's cradle works.

Bottle in shoe hits wall. Newton's second law tells us force=mass x
acceleration. Wall doesn't move and exerts equal and opposite force on shoe.
Shoe then exerts that force on bottle. Bottle then exerts that force on wine.
Wine exerts that force on cork. Cork will then move out roughly the same
distance that the base of the bottle sunk into the insole of the shoe.

Something like that anyway!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 11:50, "mark" wrote:
"Pete Zahut" wrote in message

Please try, then report back.

Numero s tests dun

Numeeo teds

numerolys yed

Lots of tests done.

Problems with walls moving afetr 2nd bottle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe.
The cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not
the world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it
moves at all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit
that justifies it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same
principle as putting a hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head
travelling downwards, shaft stops, head carries on downwards and fits
snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and cork travelling in same direction, bottle
stops, cork should continue same way as the bottle, not go in the opposite
direction - shouldn't it?

I was shown this some time ago, but using a towel rather than a shoe. I
rather think that I learnt about the technique from a Greek whilst on a
company course. Possibly the only thing that I now remember from the
course.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"funkyoldcortina" wrote in message
[...]

Or more simply: the wine bounces back and nudges the cork?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

In this demo. you accelerate the whole bottle, and then bring it to
rest abruptly (the shoe adding enough protection to stop the bottle
breaking on impact). As it comes to rest, the kinetic energy in the
wine will cause the air gap at the top of the bottle to get
compressed (and opening a low pressure rarefaction or cavitation
adjacent to the cork).

Surely the only way the air could get compressed is if the wine expands and
I don't think this is likely to occur significantly.

It seems more likely that it's to do with rebounding shock waves within the
bottle passing through an incompressible medium (the wine) and transfering
some of the energy to a moveble object (the cork).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 11:30, "Pete Zahut" wrote:

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe.

The "Constantinesco" bottle opener. Needs to be French wine. If you
try it, you'll find that some bottle shapes (actually the bases) work,
others don't. This suggests that it's an internal shock wave that's
responsible, not just inertia.

Be warned: much modern wine is in lightweight bottles, and the bases
on those can break when you hit them. Mind you, they're probably going
to be screwtop anyway. It doesn't work on plastic corks either, as
those are so tight a fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another method involving shock waves is illustrated on
http://pulsesciences.com/html/CommComponentsGallery.htm (see image 5th
from the bottom of the page). It is one which may well work with
manmade corks, and possibly even with screwtops

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:30:03 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:

would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

Thanks! Just wasted a lot of time on that site...
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Zahut" wrote in message
would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe.
The cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not
the world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it
moves at all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit
that justifies it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same
principle as putting a hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head
travelling downwards, shaft stops, head carries on downwards and fits
snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and cork travelling in same direction, bottle
stops, cork should continue same way as the bottle, not go in the opposite
direction - shouldn't it?

Not really my subject - never could handle the equations in physics - but it
looks to me as if others have missed what might be the effect of the taper
of the normal bottle shape. Like a stiletto heel concentrates body weight
into a tremendous force on a small area, hitting the wider area at the
bottom of the bottle, I would imagine results in the force being
considerably magnified by the bottle taper by the time it hits the cork.

Problem of course, with this method, is that corks tend to be used on older
wines that are likely to have sediment, so the last thing you want to do is
hit the bottom on a wall. If it's a home stored wine and the bottle has
been on its side so as to keep the cork moist, there will be a layer of
sediment all down the side which will make a right old mess after any
thumping. But on the other hand home brewing corks are usually rubbish and
will not have been airtight anyway...

Good bottles have both the capacity and the safe pressure in mm moulded
around the bottom. Go for 80mm and above (Anything that has had fizz in
should be safe.) if you are reusing the bottles for home brew, and stick to
screw caps, except on the odd bottle you want to make a show of.

The standard party method of dealing with lack of cork screws, was the
wooden spoon handle or very strong finger method, to push the cork in rather
than out. A tea spoon then holding the cork out of the way for the initial
pouring. More stylish was the excellent 'corkette' in the pocket, 'just in
case'. Shame that my one stopped pumping eventually, and they don't seem to
make them any mo too dangerous I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 18:00, "Spamlet" wrote:

Problem of course, with this method, is that corks tend to be used on older
wines that are likely to have sediment, so the last thing you want to do is
hit the bottom on a wall. *

If I'm drinking the good stuff, I'll be near the corkscrew.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

It basically utilises a mass which is free to move, and a spring. In
this case the mass is the wine, and the spring is the air gap. Rather
like the pneumatic hammer action of a SDS drill[1]. The relatively
gentle movement of the container (by a swash mechanism in the drill)
is converted into a sharply released shock by converting its momentum
into compression of an air spring, and then allowing the spring to
release unrestricted. In the case of the drill; the spring
accelerates a hammer, and in the bottle; it accelerates the wine.

So, you are saying that if you forget the SDS you can use a bottle of Asda
Vino Collapso?

But how do you fit an 8mm dill bit into a bottle of wine?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 8 Sep, 18:00, "Spamlet" wrote:

Problem of course, with this method, is that corks tend to be used on
older
wines that are likely to have sediment, so the last thing you want to do
is
hit the bottom on a wall.

If I'm drinking the good stuff, I'll be near the corkscrew.

For that I just love to use the modern wrap around and lever action ones
like this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tabletop-Free-...em56 3d0d2ece

Don't have this table top one, but, if the kitchen wasn't already
overcluttered this would be a very tempting offer!

Hic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Spamlet
writes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tabletop-Free-...ew-Bottle-Open
er-/370391461582?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item56 3d0d2ece

Don't have this table top one, but, if the kitchen wasn't already
overcluttered this would be a very tempting offer!

Agreed! Wifey bought me a hand held one from Boots a while ago. Initially
worked well, but poorly made - the handles were metalised plastic and,
naturally, broke. That was replaced by a similar device from John Lewis,
which is all metal, and perfect.
--
Graeme

I find that 'broke' generally means that someone who doesn't know how it
works, has picked it up and opened the 'wings' right out. This lets a
couple of little pistons on springs pop out, and it is a nightmare trying to
get them back in.

I too now have a metal one (We started with cheaper JL ones, but found a
very wide range of prices for similar (anything from 5 -65 quid and up for
the same thing!), and eventually got an all metal one for only a fiver or
so: which appears to be the case with this ebay item. The table top one was
actually the first I saw, but I couldn't find them for sale in the UK at the
time - so I'm still tempted!) Sad thing is I've hardly touched a drop
since Christmas, and at this time of the year I'm usually out picking
blackberries, plums, and elderberries for replenishing my stock! (Sadly
*still* waiting for the NHS to get me fixed so I can get out there again!)

Happy uncorking: the ritual pleasure of the removal process is the best
argument, apart from the wildlife importance, for keeping on with corks.

Cheers (The Sainsbury's man has just brought some bottles...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2010 18:00, Spamlet wrote:

Problem of course, with this method, is that corks tend to be used on older
wines that are likely to have sediment, so the last thing you want to do is
hit the bottom on a wall. If it's a home stored wine and the bottle has
been on its side so as to keep the cork moist, there will be a layer of
sediment all down the side which will make a right old mess after any
thumping. But on the other hand home brewing corks are usually rubbish and
will not have been airtight anyway...

I reckon everyone else drinks cheap filtered wine, not the real stuff.
That bothered me too.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

So located a door, removed screw from hinge and drove it into the cork,
pulled cork and screw from bottle with mole grips and finally returned
screw to the door!

Which is exactly why screw tops were invented :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Zahut
writes
would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe. The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how - although I'm not the
world's greatest physicist, of course :-) IMHO the cork, if it moves at
all, should go inside the bottle because (and this is the bit that justifies
it being in a DIY group) it would seem to be the same principle as putting a
hammer head on a shaft, ie, shaft and head travelling downwards, shaft
stops, head carries on downwards and fits snugly on shaft. Wine bottle and
cork travelling in same direction, bottle stops, cork should continue same
way as the bottle, not go in the opposite direction - shouldn't it?

I reckon its the shock wave travelling through the incompressible fluid
(wine) causing a temporary increase in pressure against the cork

I've seen it done before - I attended a martial arts club in Indonesia
and one of them was showing me a few tricks. He thumped base of the
bottle with the palm of his hand and drove the cork out. I tried to
repeat his trick but couldn't . I can only think that my speed and focus
were not sufficient to do it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , funkyoldcortina
writes
[...]

The important bit is that the wine is an incompressible fluid and that
the initial shock is fast and powerful, the return wave is weaker - it's
expended energy expelling the cork

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

A true Alkie would have just taken a hammer to the neck

Or a sabre.

I always find a handy spoon handle or screwdriver to push the cork in.

If you have a screwdriver, you might have a spare screw somewhere. Drive
the screw into the cork, then use pliers or a claw hammer to pull the cork
out by the screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pete Zahut" saying
something like:

would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe. The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how

Pressure wave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2010 23:29, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

A true Alkie would have just taken a hammer to the neck

Or a sabre.

I always find a handy spoon handle or screwdriver to push the cork in.

If you have a screwdriver, you might have a spare screw somewhere. Drive
the screw into the cork, then use pliers or a claw hammer to pull the cork
out by the screw.

Others have also suggested that - but I reckon it would need to be a
coarse screw with pretty deep threads if it is to remove the cork rather
than just pull out, leaving the cork in place.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pete Zahut" saying
something like:

would this work http://www.wimp.com/wineshoe

It's a video of someone removing a cork from a wine bottle using a shoe.
The
cork comes out of the bottle but I don't see how

Pressure wave.

used to be a bar trick, where you would bet you could burst the bottom out
of a beer bottle by hitting only the top.

You drank some of the beer ... (at least 3/4 full) held bottle firmly, and
give the open neck a hit with the heel of your palm ... as hard and fast as
you can.

The speed of blow caused a compressed air 'wave' to move into bottle, hits
beer, which can't compress, and in turn send force by hydraulic through the
bottle forcing bottom out of the bottle.

The important part is the strike must be very hard and very fast the first
time ..... otherwise, it just hurts, followed by repeated attempts as they
get embarrassed each one only succeeding in developing a monster of a bruise
to hand & ego.

Corkscrew steamer Metalworking 7 January 10th 09 11:01 PM
Memory Forgets Greg Esres Electronics Repair 17 August 6th 07 06:25 PM
Water heater 'forgets' to heat [email protected] Home Repair 14 February 18th 06 02:12 PM