Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default If anyone forgets the corkscrew.....

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Spamlet
writes

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tabletop-Free-...ew-Bottle-Open
er-/370391461582?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&hash=item56 3d0d2ece

Don't have this table top one, but, if the kitchen wasn't already
overcluttered this would be a very tempting offer!

Agreed! Wifey bought me a hand held one from Boots a while ago. Initially
worked well, but poorly made - the handles were metalised plastic and,
naturally, broke. That was replaced by a similar device from John Lewis,
which is all metal, and perfect.
--
Graeme

I find that 'broke' generally means that someone who doesn't know how it
works, has picked it up and opened the 'wings' right out. This lets a
couple of little pistons on springs pop out, and it is a nightmare trying to
get them back in.

I too now have a metal one (We started with cheaper JL ones, but found a
very wide range of prices for similar (anything from 5 -65 quid and up for
the same thing!), and eventually got an all metal one for only a fiver or
so: which appears to be the case with this ebay item. The table top one was
actually the first I saw, but I couldn't find them for sale in the UK at the
time - so I'm still tempted!) Sad thing is I've hardly touched a drop
since Christmas, and at this time of the year I'm usually out picking
blackberries, plums, and elderberries for replenishing my stock! (Sadly
*still* waiting for the NHS to get me fixed so I can get out there again!)

Happy uncorking: the ritual pleasure of the removal process is the best
argument, apart from the wildlife importance, for keeping on with corks.

Cheers (The Sainsbury's man has just brought some bottles...)