Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default OT - eye test

On 21 Jul,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Think I've only broken two pairs of specs in 40+ years of wearing
them. I started wearing glasses about age 7... The only time I have
clear memory off is when they slipped of me nose in the garage and
one lens hit the corner of spade and shattered.

In tha last 40 years I've only broken one pair when I sat on them (couldn't
find them til I sat down!), Some have worn out, with nosepieces falling off.

In the previous 20 years, with mainly glass lenses 3 pairs a year was good
going! The first plastic lenses didn't last, they never said they were
plastic 8-(

And are you not afraid of looking a little out of date after 20 years in
those specs:-)?

Personally I wear glasses to see, not as a fashion statement. How
anybody can wear and usefully see through the modern "fashion" of a
pair of letter boxes is beyond me.

I don't think much of he current narrow lenses, as deep as the legs are wide,
where's the peripheral vision to the sides? Also the previous fashion of
super large lenses, which with short sight are exceedingly thick and heavy.

My optician suggests I have my eyes tested every 24 months.

Mine every 12 months. but they forgot to remind me last time.

Same here, my main prescription hasn't changed significantly for the
last 30 years or so. I have just started wearing varifocals though as
age related lens hardening meant I could no longer focus closer than
about 18" with my glasses but without 'em focus goes by 6". A 12"
"dead band" is big enough to be a PITA.

Mine didn't change significantly for years, just the fine tuning, which was
often wrong. they did change once I was past 60.

The pair I am wearing atm are currently good up to about 12" (intermediate,
for computer monitor at 800mm). In the morning I'm struggling with them at
800mm, my reading specs are better. The variation over the day is a big
pain, but several older reading pairs fill the closer dead bands. My previous
pair of distance glasses were weaker, but are better for morning driving,
with my current pair being better in the evening.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 22 Jul,
"Spamlet" wrote:

My partner's son has just had his eyes lasered and I'm jealous. But am I
*that* jealous...?

Someone I know had laser surgery on his eyes about 20 years ago. the first
eye was fine but he had to give up driving, as the second job produced a view
as if through a very scratched windscreen. Fortunately a second skim in
Harley street at great expense was able to get rid of the scratches. I'd like
to hacve my myopia (and astigmatism corrected, but with a 'lazy' eye, I can't
risk the good one, until cataracts eventually mature enough to make it
irrelevant.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 22 Jul,
Matty F wrote:

"In practice, optometrists tend to use minus-cylinder notation,
whereas ophthalmologists and orthoptists tend to prescribe using plus-
cylinder notation. However, some ophthalmologists and orthoptists
(such as in Australia) are changing to using minus-cylinder notation."

That seems to be true, I discussed it with the nice young lady conducting my
penultinmate eye test, as she used minus cylinder. She said it depended on
which instituion did the training. She had worked at a lab during university
vacations and had got very used to transctibing, and decided it was easier
using minus cylinder.

I assume the "Axis" starts at 3 oclock and increases in a clockwise
direction.

I think it starts at 12 o'clock. I would think it's clockwise, but is it
different for each eye? I keep meaning to ask.

And that "Add" is a correction for close work.

Yes, but there may also be an intermediate distance "add".

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 22 Jul,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

It's a simple mathematical conversion between the two systems. My
opthalmologist explained it to me a once and gave me the formula but
the details have faded, that's what google is for...

I have a spreadsheet that has my past prescriptions, with auto conversion
between. The axis changes by 90deg.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Your eye test is doing more than checking what prescription you might
need, it is also a valuable health check. 20yrs is too long if that
is what you are saying.

Every 2 - 3 yrs at least.

Yes. An acquaintance went for a routine eye check and the opthamologist
told him to see his doctor straight away. She'd seen signs of a brain
tumour which was present with no other symptoms, and this early diagnosis
allowed successful surgery.

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 21 Jul,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Think I've only broken two pairs of specs in 40+ years of wearing
them. I started wearing glasses about age 7... The only time I have
clear memory off is when they slipped of me nose in the garage and
one lens hit the corner of spade and shattered.

In tha last 40 years I've only broken one pair when I sat on them
(couldn't
find them til I sat down!), Some have worn out, with nosepieces falling
off.

You can make new nosepieces, I have found, from sections of flexible plastic
tubing, cut to shape and stitched on with dental floss, which is pretty well
indestructible. I think mine has now lasted longer than the original!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 21 Jul,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Think I've only broken two pairs of specs in 40+ years of wearing
them. I started wearing glasses about age 7... The only time I have
clear memory off is when they slipped of me nose in the garage and
one lens hit the corner of spade and shattered.

In tha last 40 years I've only broken one pair when I sat on them
(couldn't
find them til I sat down!), Some have worn out, with nosepieces falling
off.

You can make new nosepieces, I have found, from sections of flexible
plastic tubing, cut to shape and stitched on with dental floss, which is
pretty well indestructible. I think mine has now lasted longer than the
original!

Just go back to the shop and ask for a new one.

Usually they will do this for free

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Why do the
pros use Latin instead of Right Eye and Left Eye?

Because of the possibility of confusion - normally the convention is
from the patient's /subject's /driver's viewpoint, but who knows what
viewpoint has been used if a third party is reading it.
The hard and fast naming of a part does away with the possibility of
removing the wrong kidney, leg, eye, etc, - you'd think, anyway. Of
course, that doesn't totally avoid the chance of total cockup, as
happened here, when a surgeon removed a healthy kidney from a kid,
leaving him with the bust one. This was in spite of the mother and
somebody else spotting the error and mentioning it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote on Jul 22, 2010:

On 22/07/2010 12:32, AnthonyL wrote:

Your eye test is doing more than checking what prescription you might
need, it is also a valuable health check. 20yrs is too long if that
is what you are saying.

Every 2 - 3 yrs at least.

I've had a couple of cataract operations which have left me with
distance sight in one eye and short-sight in the other. Surprisingly, it
works very well and I don't normally wear glasses at all. I wear a pair
of prescription glasses for driving - you should use all the help you
can get.

I've the same operation in one eye and the surgeon asked me if I wanted a
lens to give sharp distance vision or an intermediate one making it easier
for closer stuff. Since I'm slightly myopic in the other eye I opted for the
former which means I can cope with most situations without glasses

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message

"Spamlet" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 21 Jul,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Think I've only broken two pairs of specs in 40+ years of wearing
them. I started wearing glasses about age 7... The only time I have
clear memory off is when they slipped of me nose in the garage and
one lens hit the corner of spade and shattered.

In tha last 40 years I've only broken one pair when I sat on them
(couldn't
find them til I sat down!), Some have worn out, with nosepieces falling
off.

You can make new nosepieces, I have found, from sections of flexible
plastic tubing, cut to shape and stitched on with dental floss, which is
pretty well indestructible. I think mine has now lasted longer than the
original!

Just go back to the shop and ask for a new one.

Usually they will do this for free

tim

I doubt very much if the shop is still there, and the screw hole that fixed
the original is worn out - hence the stitching. The plastic tube I used is
actually softer and more comfortable than the hard original anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 1:00 am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Why do the
pros use Latin instead of Right Eye and Left Eye?

Because of the possibility of confusion - normally the convention is
from the patient's /subject's /driver's viewpoint, but who knows what
viewpoint has been used if a third party is reading it.

I don't see how having Latin for Left and Right could help in any way.
Except for having jargon so that clients just pay exorbitant fees
without question.

The hard and fast naming of a part does away with the possibility of
removing the wrong kidney, leg, eye, etc, - you'd think, anyway. Of
course, that doesn't totally avoid the chance of total cockup, as
happened here, when a surgeon removed a healthy kidney from a kid,
leaving him with the bust one. This was in spite of the mother and
somebody else spotting the error and mentioning it.

It's a common practice to write on the part concerned with a felt tip
pen. If this is not done, the patient should ask why not.
Some professionals seem to have no common sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
djc writes:

I used to wear glasses for driving. Five years ago I had a detached
retina, and as a side-effect cataract operation was required . Since the
cataract operation I've found my distance vision better without glasses
even though the damaged eye alone has very poor vision at any distance.
There seems to be some cognitive process at work that extracts the good
patches from my damaged retina.

Most of what everyone sees is the result of the brain applying
continuous photoshop type processes to what are actually very
much worse images from the eyes than you perceive.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 19:06:28 +0100, "Dave Baker"
wrote:

Went for a free eye test at Tesco in Slough today cos my 20 year old
frames
are broken and I need a new pair.

Your eye test is doing more than checking what prescription you might
need, it is also a valuable health check. 20yrs is too long if that
is what you are saying.

Every 2 - 3 yrs at least.

I actually also had a test 10 years ago but again the prescription hadn't
changed so I didn't bother getting new glasses. However I finally broke my
30 year old specs last year by falling asleep on them and a nose piece
snapped off the 20 year old ones this year hence the new test before getting
new specs just in case anything had changed. Since it hasn't I'm rather
wishing I hadn't broken the old specs.

They did give me a "puff test" for intra eyeball pressure though which I've
never had before. It was all fine until on one go on my left eye the machine
puffed about three times as hard as it had done before and I shot backwards
off the seat like a stabbed ferret with tears streaming out of my eye. The
girl doing the test thought this was quite hilarious as I stumbled around
the room trying to get my sight back.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
wrote:

The hard and fast naming of a part does away with the possibility of
removing the wrong kidney, leg, eye, etc, - you'd think, anyway. Of
course, that doesn't totally avoid the chance of total cockup, as
happened here, when a surgeon removed a healthy kidney from a kid,
leaving him with the bust one. This was in spite of the mother and
somebody else spotting the error and mentioning it.

It's a common practice to write on the part concerned with a felt tip
pen. If this is not done, the patient should ask why not.
Some professionals seem to have no common sense.

You can still get mistakes. People have marked the wrong side or
whatever before now. which is why there should be multiple checks, as
sooner or later, no matter how good someone is they will make a mistake.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:36:13 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

How
anybody can wear and usefully see through the modern "fash

Me too! I need some new specs but want to be able to see if I look up,
down, left, or right. The trendy narrow ones don't allow that. Is any
optician still selling big frames?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How
anybody can wear and usefully see through the modern "fash

Me too! I need some new specs but want to be able to see if I look up,
down, left, or right. The trendy narrow ones don't allow that. Is any
optician still selling big frames?

None that I have found. Look after your frames and have new lenses. You will
be welcomed at home by your wife and children for having the latest
fashion - but you will be able to see!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ooJ4o.28$X%4.15@hurricane, Clot
writes
wrote:

How
anybody can wear and usefully see through the modern "fash

Me too! I need some new specs but want to be able to see if I look up,
down, left, or right. The trendy narrow ones don't allow that. Is any
optician still selling big frames?

None that I have found.

Depends on what you mean by big I guess, but /specsavers (as i happen to
have been there recently) certainly have 'aviator' styles ones and
others of similar lense size - about 55mm diamater.

eg.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses/andy?

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/mens-glasses/arnold?start=9

Or Galsses direct:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/scott/?prca=PRCA20070828

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/audrey/?prca=PRCA20091614

I don't esp like the modern rectangular narrow-ish ones, but I quite
like my new ones which are sort of in between in dpeth

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chris French
writes
wrote:

[...]

Like these ?

http://www.clipartof.com/details/clipart/53925.html

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How
anybody can wear and usefully see through the modern "fash

Me too! I need some new specs but want to be able to see if I look up,
down, left, or right. The trendy narrow ones don't allow that. Is any
optician still selling big frames?

None that I have found. Look after your frames and have new lenses. You will
be welcomed at home by your wife and children for having the latest
fashion - but you will be able to see!

I'm very pleased with my rimless pair. Lenses are as big as I could get,
which is slightly smaller than my old ones, but they sit closer to my
face so no gap problem. They also don't slip down, partly due to
weighing bugger all and also I think due to the springy arms (no hinges).

I see RDS sells similar through one of his sites. Not cheap, but working
well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

I'm very pleased with my rimless pair. Lenses are as big as I could get,
which is slightly smaller than my old ones, but they sit closer to my
face so no gap problem. They also don't slip down, partly due to
weighing bugger all and also I think due to the springy arms (no hinges).

Those are all the same reasons I'm more pleased with my rimless ones
than any other pair I've had in thirty mumble years, plus the less
noticable "edge" of vision where the frame isn't IYSWIM.

The only downside was suffering a headache for a couple of days while my
brain learnt to "map out" the four dots where the arms and bridge
impinge on the lens.