Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Routing - Trunking or Clipped?

Hi all

OK so I know I should have looked this up last night, but it's bugging me
now!
Running power and cooker cable around the kitchen loft and I would prefer to
run most in flat (single cable size) trunking.
The reason is that I will be running this across walls and along roof
timbers (to keep it out of insulation) and this will give a degree of
protection against knocks, or any critters that get in there.
Also, I don't trust myself 100% when trying to clip cable to tough brick,
not to welt the cable occasionally.

But what is the impact on the cable capacity when run in trunking against
clipped?
I would consider just using clips when running cable along roof timbers, as
the hammer velocity doesn't need to be quite as serious.
The drops down the walls will be in oval conduit chased and plastered.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:46:46 +0100, "TheScullster"
wibbled:

Hi all

OK so I know I should have looked this up last night, but it's bugging
me now!
Running power and cooker cable around the kitchen loft and I would
prefer to run most in flat (single cable size) trunking. The reason is
that I will be running this across walls and along roof timbers (to keep
it out of insulation) and this will give a degree of protection against
knocks, or any critters that get in there. Also, I don't trust myself
100% when trying to clip cable to tough brick, not to welt the cable
occasionally.

But what is the impact on the cable capacity when run in trunking
against clipped?

Not enough to upset most assumptions most of the time (except one).

Specifically:

Enclosed in trunking or conduit *on* a masonry/wooden wall is Ref Method B
Ditto, but buried in plaster is also Method B

Open cable clipped to surface is Method C
unless it is clipped to the underside of a ceiling,then it is Method B

Ratings (Amps) for normal PVC T+E:

mm2 B C
1.0 13 15
1.5 16.5 19.5
2.5 23 27
4 30 36
6 38 46

That does make the difference between your (say 32A) cooker cable being
run in 6mm2 rather than 4mm2 but 6mm2 is a common choice anyway.

I would consider just using clips when running cable along roof timbers,
as the hammer velocity doesn't need to be quite as serious. The drops
down the walls will be in oval conduit chased and plastered.

Watch the size of the oval - 6mm2 is quite lumpy. Also, unless you can
get the right choice of oval to go through the 25mm knockout in the box,
don't forget to grommet the hole

Clip lid trunking is a good choice for fiddly bits in the roof space as
you can lay the cable in - 6mm2 will not pull very easily through long
bendy bits of conduit - though you'll be OK with the 1-2m drop down your
wall if you make sure the cable is nice and flat before you stuff it down.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote

[...]

Thanks for comprehensive response!
Can you clarify a couple of points please?
For 2.5mm cable, each leg of the ring should only be pulling 16A presumably
to cover the 32A total breaker capacity.
ISTR that 2.5mm is nominally rated at 20A as a spur.
So in both/all cases, the 23A rating will not be an issue - right?

The cooker cable is run in 6mm, currently serving a hob and double oven and
run in clip-top trunking, so that should serve the future purpose.

Some time ago, another poster gave links to images of his first fix work.
Can't remember the culprit, but he showed conduit being used between boxes,
with the conduit passing through grommets into each box.
From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole edge, a
grommet is not required - is this correct?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:52:32 +0100, "TheScullster"
wibbled:

Thanks for comprehensive response!
Can you clarify a couple of points please? For 2.5mm cable, each leg of
the ring should only be pulling 16A presumably to cover the 32A total
breaker capacity. ISTR that 2.5mm is nominally rated at 20A as a spur.
So in both/all cases, the 23A rating will not be an issue - right?

Right and wrong ;-

The regulations require each leg of the ring to be capable of handling
20A continuously. It's an arbitrary, round, made up number that has some
leeway for current imbalance between the 2 legs. Meet 20A for any+every
section of cable and you're OK.

Might I suggest procuring a copy of:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IEE-site-Gui...dp/0863418546/
ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276703557&sr=8-1

It's a condensed domestic summary of the regs with lots of diagrams, and
the more pertinent tables (though they forgot to mention reference method
B so you have to be a bit creative). You can do stuff that's not in there
that is still regs compliant, but if you do what the OnSite says, you're
guaranteed to be OK. Good section on bonding with minimum wire sizes too.

That is totally worth the 16 quid even if all you do is put in one
circuit.

The cooker cable is run in 6mm, currently serving a hob and double oven
and run in clip-top trunking, so that should serve the future purpose.

Yes. 32A is a pretty standard circuit. I'm running one, even though I
will have a gas cooker. You are allowed to have a 32A radial socket
circuit and that's what I will do - 13A socket on the bit behind the
cooker. Right place and the isolator switch next to the cooker still does
what is expected. If anyone wants an electric cooker, all they have to do
is switch the socket for a cooker terminal plate.

Some time ago, another poster gave links to images of his first fix
work. Can't remember the culprit, but he showed conduit being used
between boxes, with the conduit passing through grommets into each box.

That'll be me:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0019.jpg.html

I did it to stop the conduit sliding out.

From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole
edge, a grommet is not required - is this correct?

One or the other is perfectly acceptable - as long as the cable is
protected from the sharp edge of the hole. You could even use a conduit
through-hole adaptor.

One other question - is your run of cable massively long? The other thing
that can go wrong is too high a cable impedance (Live-Earth loop) and/or
too much voltage drop.

"Normal" runs are Ok, but it's worth asking if you live in a 10 bedroom
mansion and the main CU is in the garage beyond the stables(!!) You get
the idea...

Phil

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2010 13:52, TheScullster wrote:
Some time ago, another poster gave links to images of his first fix work.
Can't remember the culprit, but he showed conduit being used between boxes,
with the conduit passing through grommets into each box.
From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole edge, a
grommet is not required - is this correct?

Wouldn't it be great if someone made a book or website showing good
first fix practices? I'm working my way through ring mains and plumbing
at the moment and having to figure out everything from scratch is rather
tiresome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:23:38 +0100, Jim wibbled:

On 16/06/2010 13:52, TheScullster wrote:
Some time ago, another poster gave links to images of his first fix
work. Can't remember the culprit, but he showed conduit being used
between boxes, with the conduit passing through grommets into each box.
From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole
edge, a grommet is not required - is this correct?

Wouldn't it be great if someone made a book or website showing good
first fix practices? I'm working my way through ring mains and plumbing
at the moment and having to figure out everything from scratch is rather
tiresome.

Adam (and others):

Book opportunity!

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote

[...]

From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole
edge, a grommet is not required - is this correct?

One or the other is perfectly acceptable - as long as the cable is
protected from the sharp edge of the hole. You could even use a conduit
through-hole adaptor.

One other question - is your run of cable massively long? The other thing
that can go wrong is too high a cable impedance (Live-Earth loop) and/or
too much voltage drop.

"Normal" runs are Ok, but it's worth asking if you live in a 10 bedroom
mansion and the main CU is in the garage beyond the stables(!!) You get
the idea...

Thanks again Tim

The CU is at the other end of the building to the kitchen (not quite 10
bedroomed mansion though).
The cable runs to get to the boundary of the kitchen loft space are about
12m.
The kitchen is 5m x 3.6m and, at a rough estimate, this gives a total cable
length of approx 50m.

I have managed to cadge a copy of Niceic's 17th Edition Toolbox Guide from
our electrical department (don't think they knew they had it!).
It seems pretty similar to the 17th Edition OSG, so that's a bonus. The
problem with a lot of it though can be interpretation and application, which
is difficult I find when you are DIYing rather than immersed in this stuff
daily.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster
wibbled on Thursday 17 June 2010 09:28

"Tim Watts" wrote

[...]

Hi,

OK - 50m...

OnSite Guide summarises your max cable lengths as follows:

6mm2 @ 32A = 49m
10mm2 @ 32A = 81m

That is with a BS88-2, BS88-6 fuse or Type B MCB *only*. What do you have?

For all earthing systems:

Your permitted L-E loop impedance including the supply for a Type B 32A
breaker is 1.16 Ohms for a TN* earthing system

You must either assume for TN-S, the supply impedance (called Ze) is 0.8
Ohms or TN-C-S (PEN) 0.35 Ohms *unless* you measure it[1] and prove it is
lower.

[1] With a proper tester not a multimeter(!)

So your max circuit loop resistance (it is a DC test) is TN-S = 1.16-0.8 =
0.36 Ohms, TN-C-S = 1.16-0.35= 0.81 Ohms

You could test that with a decent very low ranging multimeter (and allow the
worst case stated meter error to be safe). Connect L-E at the CU of your
cooker circuit (obviously connected to nothing else) with a chock block,
then measure the resistance between L-E at the cooker connection point. If
the resistance is lower than the stated values you are OK.

Note: for a TN-S earthing system, the L-E resistance limit (called R1+R2)
coincides more of less with the voltage drop limit. If you have a TN-C-S
system you might get away with a slightly longer cable run without danger[1]
but your voltage drops will go outside of tolerance.

[1] The safety factory of R1+R2, combined with your Ze is making sure the
MCB/fuse trips in =0.4 seconds on a dead L-E short at the furthest end of
the circuit (cooker end).

Even if you have a TT (rod) earth and master TT RCD, it's best to use these
limits on cable lengths (unless you do a more in depth calculation) as you
also need the breaker to trip correctly for a L-N fault.

Conclusion
==========

You're on the limit with 6mm2 cable for 50 odd metres. And you should
absolutely measure your circuit run IMO, for the resultant L-E resistance
after it's all wired in bar the CU connection.

Do you have access to a suitable meter?

I would do a more detailed length measurement. If it is 49m, and if you
don't have access to a low resolution ohmmeter, it might be necessary to
switch upto 10mm2 cable. You'll be pretty bombproof then.

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"Tim Watts" wrote

[...]

From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
[...]

Hi Phil

That maximum cable for a 32A RCD protected ring is given as 106metres of
2.5T&E in the 17th edition. That is for the maximum 5% voltage drop.
For a 32A 6mm cooker supply the maximum length is 49m either with or without
RCD protection using a type B MCB.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

That maximum cable for a 32A RCD protected ring is given as 106metres of
2.5T&E in the 17th edition. That is for the maximum 5% voltage drop.
For a 32A 6mm cooker supply the maximum length is 49m either with or
without RCD protection using a type B MCB.

Just to point out a few facts..

5% is 12v so the cable is dropping 12V which at 32A is 384 watts of power
being wasted.
That is a unit (~10p) every three hours.
It won't take long to pay for the next size up or even thicker cable.

Just think of how many mobile phone chargers you have to leave plugged in to
waste that much.
I wonder if the "regs" take into account the carbon footprint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

That maximum cable for a 32A RCD protected ring is given as 106metres of
2.5T&E in the 17th edition. That is for the maximum 5% voltage drop.
For a 32A 6mm cooker supply the maximum length is 49m either with or
without RCD protection using a type B MCB.

Just to point out a few facts..

5% is 12v so the cable is dropping 12V which at 32A is 384 watts of power
being wasted.
That is a unit (~10p) every three hours.
It won't take long to pay for the next size up or even thicker cable.

Just think of how many mobile phone chargers you have to leave plugged in
to waste that much.
I wonder if the "regs" take into account the carbon footprint?

Well in winter the heat would not be wasted and in reallity the circuits
will not be running for long at full capacity. And all the appliances using
the circuit are greater than 95% efficient of course:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sorry Tim

I think my response to your last post was misleading...
It's the power circuit that totals 50m - comprising 12m to the kitchen
boundary from the CU and 12m return leg, with the remaining 26m used in the
lap around and the drops down the kitchen walls.

The cooker cable will go to 2 points - length to point 1 approx 14m,
additional length point 1 to point 2 approx 7m.
The earth provision is TN-C-S and all ciruits have Type B MCBs - all power
ciruits are currently protected by a single RCD (split box setup).

Yes I have access to a suitable meter.
The resistance test you describe for the cooker cable will presumably also
prove good connections at any junction boxes/face plate terminals along the
route.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:23:38 +0100, Jim wibbled:

On 16/06/2010 13:52, TheScullster wrote:
Some time ago, another poster gave links to images of his first fix
work. Can't remember the culprit, but he showed conduit being used
between boxes, with the conduit passing through grommets into each box.
From your suggestions above, it appears that as long as the conduit
protrudes into the box to protect the cable from the sharp box hole
edge, a grommet is not required - is this correct?

Wouldn't it be great if someone made a book or website showing good
first fix practices? I'm working my way through ring mains and plumbing
at the moment and having to figure out everything from scratch is rather
tiresome.

Adam (and others):

Book opportunity!

--
Tim Watts

I will happily take some photos for the wiki on a few of my jobs.

But first fix is all about dust on a rewire.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster
wibbled on Thursday 17 June 2010 14:27

Sorry Tim

I think my response to your last post was misleading...
It's the power circuit that totals 50m - comprising 12m to the kitchen
boundary from the CU and 12m return leg, with the remaining 26m used in
the lap around and the drops down the kitchen walls.

The cooker cable will go to 2 points - length to point 1 approx 14m,
additional length point 1 to point 2 approx 7m.
The earth provision is TN-C-S and all ciruits have Type B MCBs - all power
ciruits are currently protected by a single RCD (split box setup).

Yes I have access to a suitable meter.
The resistance test you describe for the cooker cable will presumably also
prove good connections at any junction boxes/face plate terminals along
the route.

Phil

Ah - you were talking about cooker and ring circuits and I picked the wrong
one. Never mind, you've got both answers from Adam too.

I thought 50m was a bit of a mental cooker run (but quite believable for a
ring) - but I just assumed you had a weird and tortuous route...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Well in winter the heat would not be wasted and in reallity the circuits
will not be running for long at full capacity. And all the appliances using
the circuit are greater than 95% efficient of course:-)

Having problems at your end Adam? Several of your posts are coming
through in duplicate or triplicate ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Thursday 17 June 2010 15:16

I will happily take some photos for the wiki on a few of my jobs.

But first fix is all about dust on a rewire.

Adam

That's very good of you A picture is worth a thousand words (like that
bit of advice you gave me the other day dressing in the CU).

Seriously though - there might be a market for a book of good practises with
lots of photos of real work - which is something that the NIC type books (I
have 2) seem to miss.

I'm sure lots of trainee pros would find it worth buying too - given some
people don't apprentice in the way they used to.

Bit like a Reader's Digest approach but with higher standards(!)

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

Well in winter the heat would not be wasted and in reallity the circuits
will not be running for long at full capacity. And all the appliances
using
the circuit are greater than 95% efficient of course:-)

Having problems at your end Adam? Several of your posts are coming
through in duplicate or triplicate ...

Yes. I am not sat there pressing send lots of times. I have turned the modem
and computer off and and back on so here goes.

Adam

Supplier for brown trunking or cat-5 cable? PCPaul UK diy 13 June 29th 08 02:19 PM
TV aerial cable routing [email protected] UK diy 5 June 6th 07 11:07 AM
Cable Routing Christian McArdle UK diy 6 March 10th 06 09:03 PM
Clamping telephone cable in vertical trunking jim_in_sussex UK diy 6 December 4th 05 11:21 AM
Routing Network Cable Outside thescullster UK diy 13 May 4th 05 12:27 AM