Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supplier for brown trunking or cat-5 cable?

I need to run some cat-5 cable in an old stable converted to an office.
Unfortunately the only way to run it is along a blank wall which is
Magnolia with a dark brown wooden skirting board. The floor is dark
carpet.

I can find D-line 'wood effect' trunking which is much too light, or
plain square brown PVC stuff. Neither of which is really neat enough for
the room which is done to a high spec and used for meeting (and hopefully
impressing) clients.

Does anybody have a better idea of how to run the cable unobtrusively?

My best shot so far is to make new skirting with cable runs along the
back, but that could be fiddly as it's an unusual custom moulding. I
don't really want to mess with digging into the walls if I can help it as
there have been damp problems in the past.

Wireless networking is a non-starter for security and speed reasons. WPA
is not good enough for this job...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-28 20:48:28 +0100, PCPaul said:

[...]

Given what you have, I'd go for getting new wooden skirting and milling
a slot in the back. A router in a router table would work for this
or it would be inexpensive at a a joinery workshop, even if they have
to copy the profile and get a spindle tool made.

Otherwise, you might be able to paint plastic, but I have to say that
it would not look as good to have this on show.

As an IT solution, would something like IPSec run as a client on the
desktop/laptop machine be an acceptable level of security? There are
also routers with this built in, so you could run a protected point to
point link with the router fixed nder the desk for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-28 20:48:28 +0100, PCPaul said:

[...]

I'm tempted - already have the router table set up, but the profile is
tricky. And the skirting finish would have to match the rest of the
'stables' which is a sort of weatherbeaten look on dark wood. So I'[m
tempted but not jumping at the chance...

Otherwise, you might be able to paint plastic, but I have to say that it
would not look as good to have this on show.

Agreed. Although a dark wood (effect?) quadrant trunking *might* be able
to be lost in the corner where the skirting meets the carpet, if I could
find one. Hmm, I might be able to make/buy a largish wood quadrant bead
with enough room to hide a single Cat5. Have to look at that one.

As an IT solution, would something like IPSec run as a client on the
desktop/laptop machine be an acceptable level of security? There are
also routers with this built in, so you could run a protected point to
point link with the router fixed nder the desk for example.

I already have a VPN from my home PC to their router, so setting up an
IPSec link in itself wouldn't present a problem. They have a no-wireless
policy though, which makes it tricky.

There is mains in there already, so has anybody got experience with
Homeplug? Does it work reliably now? It didn't when I tried it when it
first came out...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:48:28 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

I can find D-line 'wood effect' trunking which is much too light, or
plain square brown PVC stuff.

If you can get a suitable coloured cable that you can attach into a
moulding on the skirting or even ordinary cable a paint the whole lot it
will "disappear". Into the lower large curve of Roman Ogee works very
well.

Neither of which is really neat enough for the room which is done to a
high spec and used for meeting (and hopefully impressing) clients.

I venture to suggest that if the clients are noticing how the cables are
run you have lost 'em anyway... Of course if you are trying to flog high
quality, unobtrusive, network installs that is a different matter. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:09:03 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:48:28 GMT, PCPaul wrote:

Neither of which is really neat enough for the room which is done to a
high spec and used for meeting (and hopefully impressing) clients.

I venture to suggest that if the clients are noticing how the cables are
run you have lost 'em anyway... Of course if you are trying to flog high
quality, unobtrusive, network installs that is a different matter. B-)

I totally agree with you there... but as in many things, it isn't what
will actually happen as what the paying customer *thinks* will happen.

This is a job I'm doing for a friend for expenses and a beer, so no high
pressure sales, but I do like to keep the quality high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-28 22:08:34 +0100, PCPaul said:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:07:15 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Given what you have, I'd go for getting new wooden skirting and milling
a slot in the back. A router in a router table would work for this or
it would be inexpensive at a a joinery workshop, even if they have to
copy the profile and get a spindle tool made.

I'm tempted - already have the router table set up, but the profile is
tricky. And the skirting finish would have to match the rest of the
'stables' which is a sort of weatherbeaten look on dark wood. So I'[m
tempted but not jumping at the chance...

Well... it is possible. For a shortish run, it is viable to get the
spindle moulding work done with tooling using profile knives. There
are dozens of standard ones (you might find one that is the same) and
then most larger suppliers will organise knives based on a sample or a
drawing on graph paper. I believe these cost in the low tens of
pounds for a set.

Otherwise, you might be able to paint plastic, but I have to say that it
would not look as good to have this on show.

Agreed. Although a dark wood (effect?) quadrant trunking *might* be able
to be lost in the corner where the skirting meets the carpet, if I could
find one. Hmm, I might be able to make/buy a largish wood quadrant bead
with enough room to hide a single Cat5. Have to look at that one.

That would certainly look better than plastic.

There are some here

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/rburbidge-183

As an IT solution, would something like IPSec run as a client on the
desktop/laptop machine be an acceptable level of security? There are
also routers with this built in, so you could run a protected point to
point link with the router fixed nder the desk for example.

I already have a VPN from my home PC to their router, so setting up an
IPSec link in itself wouldn't present a problem. They have a no-wireless
policy though, which makes it tricky.

There is mains in there already, so has anybody got experience with
Homeplug? Does it work reliably now? It didn't when I tried it when it
first came out...

Yes. Not bad. Although logically, the same issues apply as with
wireless. However, if it's a policy issue....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-28 22:08:34 +0100, PCPaul said:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:07:15 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Well... it is possible. For a shortish run, it is viable to get the
spindle moulding work done with tooling using profile knives. There
are dozens of standard ones (you might find one that is the same) and
then most larger suppliers will organise knives based on a sample or a
drawing on graph paper. I believe these cost in the low tens of pounds
for a set.

Ouch. Probably overkill for 12' of skirting... I'll see if the owner
knows where the original came from - I know he project-managed the
conversion himself.

Otherwise, you might be able to paint plastic, but I have to say that
it would not look as good to have this on show.

Agreed. Although a dark wood (effect?) quadrant trunking *might* be
able to be lost in the corner where the skirting meets the carpet, if I
could find one. Hmm, I might be able to make/buy a largish wood
quadrant bead with enough room to hide a single Cat5. Have to look at
that one.

That would certainly look better than plastic.

There are some here

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/rburbidge-183

There is mains in there already, so has anybody got experience with
Homeplug? Does it work reliably now? It didn't when I tried it when it
first came out...

Yes. Not bad. Although logically, the same issues apply as with
wireless. However, if it's a policy issue....

You have the same respect for non-technical 'policy' decisions as me
then...

I think with Homeplug it would be different - this is an isolated cluster
of buildings, so nobody else could (easily) get onto the same phase
within a reasonable distance.

Hmm. Maybe homeplug is the way to go after all. Hits Google I can get a
pair of Solwise 85Mbps homeplugs for £45.. might be the simplest way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-28 22:08:34 +0100, PCPaul said:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:07:15 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Well... it is possible. For a shortish run, it is viable to get the
spindle moulding work done with tooling using profile knives. There
are dozens of standard ones (you might find one that is the same) and
then most larger suppliers will organise knives based on a sample or a
drawing on graph paper. I believe these cost in the low tens of pounds
for a set.

Ouch. Probably overkill for 12' of skirting... I'll see if the owner
knows where the original came from - I know he project-managed the
conversion himself.

OK. I didn't know how much money was attached to this project in
terms of investment for the customer.

You have the same respect for non-technical 'policy' decisions as me
then...

I think with Homeplug it would be different - this is an isolated cluster
of buildings, so nobody else could (easily) get onto the same phase
within a reasonable distance.

Hmm. Maybe homeplug is the way to go after all. Hits Google I can get a
pair of Solwise 85Mbps homeplugs for £45.. might be the simplest way.

So I think it leaves you with two questions:

- Will it work? They do. I have seen Wifi implemented this way in
several small to medium sized hotels. There's a router in the
reception with a Homeplug adaptor. Then on each floor a plug-in
Homeplug with Wifi access point. This is very quick and easy to
do and does seem to work -- i.e. I couldn't measure the difference
compared with a local access to the DSL connection. I haven't
tested these in terms of throughput at higher data rates or on crappy
wiring however.

- Will the customer be OK with it? Will they ever know? You can
tick the box that you aren't using "wireless" in good faith.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:30:24 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

So I think it leaves you with two questions:

- Will it work? They do. snip I haven't tested these
in terms of throughput at higher data rates or on crappy wiring however.

It looks like they all use a common channel, so ten or so units is the
practical limit - but in this case I'm only looking at a pair, so I
should be getting a fair old throughput. They need to be able to use VoIP
and video streaming through it, but an 'up to 85Mbps' link over a short
distance should be able to handle that...

- Will the customer be OK with it? Will they ever know? You can tick
the box that you aren't using "wireless" in good faith.

Like I said, it's for a friend, and it's his company. But in the position
it's in, I think Homeplug should be secure enough - looks like it has the
equivalent of Mac address filtering and 56-bit encryption.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:
[...]

I used a pair of those recently. Worked just fine sharing an extension
lead with all the usual PC spaghetti

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plaster-Board A Ceiling Or Wall With Less Cuts ????

Plaster-Board A Ceiling Or Wall With Less Cuts
Screw hard-board strips between joints,
no need to cut board center of bearer

FROM:
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p4.html
BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND IS IT A GOOD IDEA???

--

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
Plaster-Board A Ceiling Or Wall With Less Cuts Screw hard-board strips
between joints, no need to cut board center of bearer
FROM:
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p4.html
BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND IS IT A GOOD IDEA???

Just one word missing I suspect

"Plaster-Board A Ceiling Or Wall With Less Cuts Screw hard-board strips
between joints, no need to cut board ON center of bearer"

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PCPaul wrote:

Hmm. Maybe homeplug is the way to go after all. Hits Google I can get a
pair of Solwise 85Mbps homeplugs for £45.. might be the simplest way.

They aren't much cop, I'd go for the Devolo 200AV plugs and ensure that
you update the firmware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
Plaster-Board A Ceiling Or Wall With Less Cuts Screw hard-board strips
between joints, no need to cut board center of bearer
FROM:
http://www.justservices.com/open/i/p4.html
BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AND IS IT A GOOD IDEA???

I suppose it would work with chipboard or mdf, but fixing it between the
joists would be a fiddle. Sounds like a lot of work to save a couple of
quid's worth of plasterboard.

trunking [email protected] UK diy 1 August 23rd 07 02:17 AM
How to clean aluminum baking pans used for roasting. Black, dark brown, light brown difficult to remove residues. [email protected] Home Repair 12 September 20th 06 12:56 PM
WTB: Brown electrical trunking vortex2 UK diy 3 August 22nd 06 01:26 PM
Clamping telephone cable in vertical trunking jim_in_sussex UK diy 6 December 4th 05 11:21 AM