Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Supplier for brown trunking or cat-5 cable?

On 2008-06-28 22:08:34 +0100, PCPaul said:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:07:15 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

Given what you have, I'd go for getting new wooden skirting and milling
a slot in the back. A router in a router table would work for this or
it would be inexpensive at a a joinery workshop, even if they have to
copy the profile and get a spindle tool made.

I'm tempted - already have the router table set up, but the profile is
tricky. And the skirting finish would have to match the rest of the
'stables' which is a sort of weatherbeaten look on dark wood. So I'[m
tempted but not jumping at the chance...

Well... it is possible. For a shortish run, it is viable to get the
spindle moulding work done with tooling using profile knives. There
are dozens of standard ones (you might find one that is the same) and
then most larger suppliers will organise knives based on a sample or a
drawing on graph paper. I believe these cost in the low tens of
pounds for a set.

Otherwise, you might be able to paint plastic, but I have to say that it
would not look as good to have this on show.

Agreed. Although a dark wood (effect?) quadrant trunking *might* be able
to be lost in the corner where the skirting meets the carpet, if I could
find one. Hmm, I might be able to make/buy a largish wood quadrant bead
with enough room to hide a single Cat5. Have to look at that one.

That would certainly look better than plastic.

There are some here

http://www.richardburbidge.co.uk/rburbidge-183

As an IT solution, would something like IPSec run as a client on the
desktop/laptop machine be an acceptable level of security? There are
also routers with this built in, so you could run a protected point to
point link with the router fixed nder the desk for example.

I already have a VPN from my home PC to their router, so setting up an
IPSec link in itself wouldn't present a problem. They have a no-wireless
policy though, which makes it tricky.

There is mains in there already, so has anybody got experience with
Homeplug? Does it work reliably now? It didn't when I tried it when it
first came out...

Yes. Not bad. Although logically, the same issues apply as with
wireless. However, if it's a policy issue....