Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Supplier for brown trunking or cat-5 cable?

PCPaul wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:30:24 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

So I think it leaves you with two questions:

- Will it work? They do. snip I haven't tested these
in terms of throughput at higher data rates or on crappy wiring however.

It looks like they all use a common channel, so ten or so units is the
practical limit - but in this case I'm only looking at a pair, so I
should be getting a fair old throughput. They need to be able to use VoIP
and video streaming through it, but an 'up to 85Mbps' link over a short
distance should be able to handle that...

- Will the customer be OK with it? Will they ever know? You can tick
the box that you aren't using "wireless" in good faith.

Like I said, it's for a friend, and it's his company. But in the position
it's in, I think Homeplug should be secure enough - looks like it has the
equivalent of Mac address filtering and 56-bit encryption.

I used a pair of those recently. Worked just fine sharing an extension
lead with all the usual PC spaghetti