thescullster

Default Routing Network Cable Outside

Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal routing is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run concealed as
far as possible.

TIA

Phil

Peter Crosland

The problem is that the normal Cat 5e cable is not UV resistant. UV
resistant cable is available but it is not cheap and you will probably have
to buy far more than you need. Obviously you could put it in conduit.

Peter Crosland

Stefek Zaba

Peter Crosland wrote:
The problem is that the normal Cat 5e cable is not UV resistant. UV
resistant cable is available but it is not cheap and you will probably have
to buy far more than you need. Obviously you could put it in conduit.

Just so. Commonly-reported group trick is to use a full-house length of
drainpipe matching what you have already - can be easier to source than
pukka conduit, up which (if 20mm) you'll only get 3, 4 at a pinch, Cat5s.

Stefek
Buzby

Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between
floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal routing
is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run concealed
as
far as possible.

get a wireless router? Prolly end up about the same cost when you take into
account time and materials?

Jim

If it's any help I've got cat5 running on the outside of my house, it's only
been there a year but still working great. Didn't even think about UV when I
installed it, but then again how much sun do we get in this country !

Jim

"Buzby" wrote in message

Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between
floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal
routing is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run
concealed as
far as possible.

get a wireless router? Prolly end up about the same cost when you
take into account time and materials?

As stated, wireless router £50ish,

--
daZza...........

remove "BUT PLUG" to reply ;-)

:::Jerry::::

"Buzby" wrote in message

Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get

between
floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal
routing is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about

20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run
concealed as
far as possible.

get a wireless router? Prolly end up about the same cost when you
take into account time and materials?

As stated, wireless router £50ish,

And each wireless card will cost what (considering than many MB /
systems now come with a RJ45 port as standard ?...

Also what if the OP then finds that there are problems with wireless
coverage (not to mention the added security risks of wireless), hard
wired Cat 5 network is 99 percent certain to work first time and don't
have half the security issues that wireless network does.....

Rob Whitton

Whilst this is true I have CAT5 on a south facing wall - it has been there
for about 5 years and is fine. I expect it will fail at some point due to UV
degradation but it will only cost me perhaps 30 mins to replace it (and very
low cost) and will be good for another 5 years.

The other possibility, assuming your house is painted, is to just paint the
cable with matching paint. The paint will act as an effective UV barrier.

Rob

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
The problem is that the normal Cat 5e cable is not UV resistant. UV
resistant cable is available but it is not cheap and you will probably
have to buy far more than you need. Obviously you could put it in conduit.

Peter Crosland

Ian Stirling

Peter Crosland wrote:
The problem is that the normal Cat 5e cable is not UV resistant. UV
resistant cable is available but it is not cheap and you will probably have
to buy far more than you need. Obviously you could put it in conduit.

Old hosepipe works well.
Buzby

As stated, wireless router £50ish,

And each wireless card will cost what (considering than many MB /
systems now come with a RJ45 port as standard ?...

Also what if the OP then finds that there are problems with wireless
coverage (not to mention the added security risks of wireless), hard
wired Cat 5 network is 99 percent certain to work first time and don't
have half the security issues that wireless network does.....

Security is not an issue if you read the manual ;-)

Network cards - should be no more than £20 inc vat tops.

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Buzby" wrote:

As stated, wireless router £50ish,

And each wireless card will cost what (considering than many MB /
systems now come with a RJ45 port as standard ?...

Also what if the OP then finds that there are problems with wireless
coverage (not to mention the added security risks of wireless), hard
wired Cat 5 network is 99 percent certain to work first time and don't
have half the security issues that wireless network does.....

Security is not an issue if you read the manual ;-)

Network cards - should be no more than £20 inc vat tops.

But that's a £20 net card, £50 router (oh, all right, how about a pair
of Belkin "Turbo" devices for that tiny bit of extra speed... how
much?), possible reach issues, possible interference with/from other
2.4GHz devices (phones, microwaves, remote controls, AV senders, other
802.11 devices) causing performance degredation as a minimum...

....or (assuming the hardware is already in place for a wired solution) a
couple of quid for a bit of CAT5 and some drainpipe (or whatever).

No contest.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... I'm too skeptical to deny the possibility of anything
tony sayer

In article , Martin Angove
writes
In message ,
"Buzby" wrote:

[...]

Unless your out in the sticks use 2.4 Ghz as a second choice only.

Wired is much better, if you can get the wire where you want that
is!...
--
Tony Sayer

:::Jerry::::

"tony sayer" wrote in message
snip

Wired is much better, if you can get the wire where you want that
is!...
--

Of course you can, it's just a mater of if you really want to and are
prepared to what is required....

RichardS

"thescullster" wrote in message
Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between

floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal routing

is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run concealed

as
far as possible.

It'll be fine for a while - eventually the UV will probably degrade it &
it'll need replacing unless (as others have said) it's special exterior
stuff or run in conduit.

However, how difficult will it be to replace if/when it does degrade? If it
means removing floorboards or damaging decorations then stick it in conduit.
If it's a doddle to pull out and run more drops then just fit it & replace
when network stops working/slows up drastically - cable's cheap as chips
(think I might have paid about £17 for a 100m box all-in, 305m boxes can be
had for £22 + vat, p&p).

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at