RichardS

"thescullster" wrote in message
Is it acceptable to surface run network cable outside to get between

floors?
If I do this, should I be using shielded cable?
Looking at networking to a ground floor extension where internal routing

is
not an option..
Outside run will just be 4m vertical. Total run length about 20m.
I know this is done with satellite cable although I try to run concealed

as
far as possible.

It'll be fine for a while - eventually the UV will probably degrade it &
it'll need replacing unless (as others have said) it's special exterior
stuff or run in conduit.

However, how difficult will it be to replace if/when it does degrade? If it
means removing floorboards or damaging decorations then stick it in conduit.
If it's a doddle to pull out and run more drops then just fit it & replace
when network stops working/slows up drastically - cable's cheap as chips
(think I might have paid about £17 for a 100m box all-in, 305m boxes can be
had for £22 + vat, p&p).

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at