Kevin Rayner

Default Network Cable Installation

This summer, when the wife is on holiday, I intend to take down the
manky lath & plaster walls and ceiling in the main bedroom and put up
plasterboard. This will enable me to run some extra cables for sockets and a
telephone extension in the kids room so they can connect their computer in
the void.
It would be handy to run a network cable from the box room (my office)
to the kids room to exchange data in the void, rather than trail a data
cable along the landing. Can I get a diy installation of sockets and cabling
anywhere?

Thanks

Kevin

Mary Fisher

"Kevin Rayner" wrote in message
This summer, when the wife is on holiday, I intend to take down the
manky lath & plaster walls and ceiling in the main bedroom and put up
plasterboard. This will enable me to run some extra cables for sockets and

telephone extension in the kids room so they can connect their computer in
the void.
It would be handy to run a network cable from the box room (my

office)
to the kids room to exchange data in the void, rather than trail a data
cable along the landing. Can I get a diy installation of sockets and

cabling
anywhere?

Others will give you the a-z of that but can I put in a plea for installing
sockets at, say, waist height? We did that in several rooms and it's so much
easier than having to bend down and push and pull plugs in at floor level.

There is of course some risk of damage from furniture, this can be taken
into account when deciding the positions. But there's a risk of damage even
at floor level so there's no difference there.

Mary

Thanks

Kevin

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Others will give you the a-z of that but can I put in a plea for
installing sockets at, say, waist height? We did that in several rooms
and it's so much easier than having to bend down and push and pull plugs
in at floor level.

Why would you want to unplug network thingies?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

For mains plugs, yes...
But for network plugs, where you are typically going to plug things in
for months or years at a time?

Reckless

I put in Cat5e cabling in all my bedrooms when I built an extension (and
knocked out all bar 2 of the internal walls upstairs).

I bought modular sockets (which can be RJ45/BT) from Farnells and used a
chrone tool to connect the Cat5 cable into the back. I put in two cable runs
per room - for some resiliance in case one of them getts squashed, chewed,
damanged, nailed, etc! All get routed to my main PC room which has two
double gang faceplates (with a maximum of 8 net sockets). Patch leads then
connect each room to the switch which is the router for the Internet. Cat5e
cable was from Screwfix. I think in total it was around £100 for 5 rooms
worth of stuff.

Wireless is good (well above Internet connection speed) but whether it's
fast enough depends how much copying across the LAN you do (I do backups)
and whether you are patient or not (heck, I'm not that patient!!).

"Kevin Rayner" wrote in message
This summer, when the wife is on holiday, I intend to take down the
manky lath & plaster walls and ceiling in the main bedroom and put up
plasterboard. This will enable me to run some extra cables for sockets and

telephone extension in the kids room so they can connect their computer in
the void.
It would be handy to run a network cable from the box room (my

office)
to the kids room to exchange data in the void, rather than trail a data
cable along the landing. Can I get a diy installation of sockets and

cabling
anywhere?

Thanks

Kevin

Pulling cable through with existing one / Clipping cable in loft Mike Hall UK diy 17 January 12th 04 12:52 PM
FM Aerial installation Q's PJ UK diy 50 September 23rd 03 08:59 AM
Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable? David UK diy 8 September 2nd 03 09:00 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 12:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM