David

Default Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable?

I'm currently installing some fluorescent tubes. The fitting
instructions state:
"Important notice: switch start ballast casings may reach high
temperatures in normal use and may damage standard insulation cables.
Where supply cables run adjacent to choke, use cable rated at not less
than 150 deg C, or alternatively use heat resistant sleeving".

Now, the cable access holes for the fitting are cleverly positioned so
that it's impossible to wire it up *without* running cable immediately
past the start ballast casing (this presumably refers to the chunky
metal PSU-like device inside the fitting??). So my query is, do I
need to worry about this, or is my normal 1.5mm2 lighting cable up to
the task? It doesn't have any temperature rating on the reel or the
cable; is 150 deg a high temp for cable? If I need this sleeving, is
it readily available? (makes you wonder why the mfr couldn't include
some with the fitting!?)

Thanks
David
Dave Plowman

In article ,
David wrote:
I'm currently installing some fluorescent tubes. The fitting
instructions state:
"Important notice: switch start ballast casings may reach high
temperatures in normal use and may damage standard insulation cables.
Where supply cables run adjacent to choke, use cable rated at not less
than 150 deg C, or alternatively use heat resistant sleeving".

I'd query you using switch start ballasts in this day and age - have you
investigated electronic types? They only get mildly warm.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
John

you are using the wrong hole

As the actress said to the Bishop! Oooh Eeer missus!

David

Bob Minchin wrote in message ...
David wrote:

I'm currently installing some fluorescent tubes. The fitting
instructions state:
"Important notice: switch start ballast casings may reach high
temperatures in normal use and may damage standard insulation cables.
Where supply cables run adjacent to choke, use cable rated at not less
than 150 deg C, or alternatively use heat resistant sleeving".

150 is way too high for normal PVC T&E. Could you drill a better placed
hole for the cable to enter the fitting?
Otherwise there is a high temp cable that is used to connect to immersion
heaters and other hot things. You won't want a whole reel i'm sure but the
sheds will sell this by the metre. cable code is 3093Y screwfix 14170
(1mm^2) as an example.

Thanks for this Bob. Looks like I'm going to need a new hole (in
response to Chris's reply; there's definitely only one appropriate
hole for cable entry)

Just checked the Screwfix ref above, but it's only rated to 85 deg!

Thanks
David
Wheelbarrowbob

use a short run of fire proof fp200 in side the tube, you should be able to buy
this by the meter and the rating should be above 150 deg

Christian McArdle

Just checked the Screwfix ref above, but it's only rated to 85 deg!

But first make sure it didn't say 150F instead of 150C.

Christian.

BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The ballast is the heavy box thing inside the fitting, the box thing that
the actual lamp holder ends are connected to. It should have writing on it
with all the ratings and voltages. It is this box that gets very hot and
you should avoid putting your PVC Cable near it. If you keep this in mind
then you'll be OK.

Andy Wade

Wheelbarrowbob wrote in message

use a short run of fire proof fp200 in side the tube, you should be
able to buy this by the meter and the rating should be above 150 deg

FP200 is only rated for use up to 70°C in continuous service.
--
Andy

Wheelbarrowbob

thank you andy, didnt know that, think the original poster should invest in
some modern fittings

Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Number of (fluorescent) lights in a room Martin Angove UK diy 2 July 31st 03 08:31 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 12:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM
heat exchanger calculations Ed Sirett UK diy 2 July 19th 03 12:49 AM