David

Default Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable?

Bob Minchin wrote in message ...
David wrote:

I'm currently installing some fluorescent tubes. The fitting
instructions state:
"Important notice: switch start ballast casings may reach high
temperatures in normal use and may damage standard insulation cables.
Where supply cables run adjacent to choke, use cable rated at not less
than 150 deg C, or alternatively use heat resistant sleeving".

150 is way too high for normal PVC T&E. Could you drill a better placed
hole for the cable to enter the fitting?
Otherwise there is a high temp cable that is used to connect to immersion
heaters and other hot things. You won't want a whole reel i'm sure but the
sheds will sell this by the metre. cable code is 3093Y screwfix 14170
(1mm^2) as an example.

Thanks for this Bob. Looks like I'm going to need a new hole (in
response to Chris's reply; there's definitely only one appropriate
hole for cable entry)

Just checked the Screwfix ref above, but it's only rated to 85 deg!

Thanks
David