Jo

Default Barbeque advice

I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Tim Mitchell

In article , Jo
writes
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

B&Q etc have a good selection around the 20 quid mark. I'd get one with
legs, otherwise you either have to grovel on the floor, or find
something very heat resistant to stand it on.

Or, you can buy disposable bbq's from Wilkinsons & Asda & places like
that, they are 2 or 3 quid. The only problem with those is you can't
adjust the grill height so it's easy to burn the food.
--
Tim Mitchell
Set Square

Jo wrote:

I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I
say cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want
one to practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for
beginners. Can anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good
reasonably-priced buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Focus sometimes do one for a very reasonable price (25 quid or so) which is
square-ish with rounded corners, has a hinged lid, fold up trays at the
side, legs and (I think) a couple of wheels at the back. It also has a
couple of levers at the front for adjusting the height of the grill rack
above the charcoal, plus a number of opening vents to control airflow.

We have had a very similar one for quite a few years - and its still going
strong - although it's now looking a bit "second-hand"!

I suggest you buy some bags of "self-lighting"? charcoal - where you stick
the whole bag in and put a match to it - and go away for a quarter of an
hour. When you come back, the charcoal will all be hot, and will have spread
itself out fairly evenly over the base of the barbecue. You only need to
poke it a bit to get a totally even layer, and then put the grill rack in
followed by the food.

But don't be in *too* much of a hurry to start cooking. Wait until the
flames have died down and until the charcoal is a fairly even grey colour.
Hold your hand palm down a few inches above the charcoal. If you can't stand
it for more than about 3 seconds, it's hot enough to cook on!

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Scott M

Jo wrote:

I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with).

Something just to throw in with regards to actually barbecueing itself -
don't just put food on and leave it. As it's so hot you must keep
turning the food regularly otherwise it just blackens the outside and
leaves the inside raw. Basically, if you feel you can wonder away from
it for more than 15secs you're not doing it right.

Also, food: Don't bother with frozen burgers etc. They'll just
disintegrate and/or fall through the mesh. Get some decent steak
instead. Sausages should be the thick sort and preferably something
other than plain pork. Find a decent butcher that does pork & leek or
pork & apple etc. You can make kebabs from chicken and peppers and
supermarkets do a good range of marinades for these.

For years I associated BBQs with crap food, badly cooked. It wasn't
until I met my OH and her family I learnt how a BBQ should actually be.

--
Scott

Christian McArdle

I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with).

Get a cheap metal one. The easiest type to cook on are those rectangular
ones with the wheels at one end.

However, look very carefully at the grille height adjustment. Many cheap
ones can't suspend the cooking surface high enough above the coals, making
it impossible to cook well with without burning. You only need the lower
settings when the coals start to cool down a bit.

Christian.

RichardS

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

I'd advise to go for one of the relatively sturdy "kettle" types, they
enable you to get a decent pile of coals going, which are then knocked
around so that you end up with a nice even distribution of heat. Takes about
30 minutes to get a good, even fire with briquettes, by which time you've
done your food prep and everything is ready to go on.

Not sure about prices - ours was really at the top end of the basic
barbeques, £100 or so, but I have seen similar types in Homebase et al for
about £40, IIRC. With a bit of care it should last for ages.

Never been entirely convinced by gas barbeques, but then I haven't used one
in anger. They have very fast heat up times, but of course need the gas
bottle to be replenished from time to time. My brother loves his, though,
but then he's just got to have the latest and most expensive toys....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Christian McArdle

Never been entirely convinced by gas barbeques, but then I haven't used
one
in anger.

The problem with gas BBQs is what is the point? I went to one in the US. The
food came out evenly cooked, just as if it had cooked in a fan oven. That
isn't a BBQ. If I wanted a nice even oven cooked taste, I'd use the freaking
oven.

I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap sausages leak
onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.

Christian.

IMM

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Get a gas one. they are simple and easy and give the barbecue taste. The
DIY sheds are full of them at a discounts now. I would get a two burner job
with a large lid and an upper shelf.

Scott M

IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

--
Scott

RichardS

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Never been entirely convinced by gas barbeques, but then I haven't used

one
in anger.

The problem with gas BBQs is what is the point? I went to one in the US.

The
food came out evenly cooked, just as if it had cooked in a fan oven. That
isn't a BBQ. If I wanted a nice even oven cooked taste, I'd use the

freaking
oven.

I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap sausages leak
onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.

yup, agree with all of the above entirely.

add to that the use of a fossil fuel when an essentially carbon-neutral
source is cheaply and widely available, it all just seems terribly decadent.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Jo

Thanks everyone for your advice. I bought one today from Homebase - there
was a huge sale on - got a decent one with adjustable grill height, kettle
type, on wheels, fold away...all for £13.99 (originally £36). It was
recommended to me by someone who'd got one and bbq's a lot. Just got to
hide it from hubby now!
Jo

Owain

"Lobster" wrote
| I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap
| sausages leak onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.
| Very true, but why would I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming
| infernos, food totally knackered, with a black shell of carbon
| protecting a nice culture medium for salmonella within? ...

As my cooking usually leads to smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos, food
totally knackered, etc, anyway, every time I try something more adventurous
than pasta, a barbecue is a nice opportunity to cook without having to
redecorate afterwards.

Owain

Capitol

Christian McArdle wrote in message
. ..
The problem with gas BBQs is what is the point? I went to one in the US.

The
food came out evenly cooked, just as if it had cooked in a fan oven. That
isn't a BBQ. If I wanted a nice even oven cooked taste, I'd use the

freaking
oven.

I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap sausages leak
onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.

I can assure you that proper Boy Scout bonfire cooking standards can be
achieved on a gas BBQ. It just takes a reasonable quantity of alcohol
consumption. Obviously your cook did not drink enough.

Regards
Capitol

raden

In message , Scott M
writes
Jo wrote:

I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with).

Something just to throw in with regards to actually barbecueing itself -
don't just put food on and leave it. As it's so hot you must keep
turning the food regularly otherwise it just blackens the outside and
leaves the inside raw.

Especially important in the case of chicken

I would also add that you should baste food with oil so that it cooks
rather than chars

If it gets too hot, douse the charcoal with a bit of water (or more
spectacularly hold your finger over the opening of a lager can and spray
it - see lager's good for something)

--
geoff
raden

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Never been entirely convinced by gas barbeques, but then I haven't used

one
in anger.

The problem with gas BBQs is what is the point? I went to one in the US. The
food came out evenly cooked, just as if it had cooked in a fan oven. That
isn't a BBQ. If I wanted a nice even oven cooked taste, I'd use the freaking
oven.

I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap sausages leak
onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.

You get that too with a gas one

It's less ****ing around and leaves more time for drinking

--
geoff

raden

In message , RichardS
writes
"Jo" wrote in message
[...]

I have a gas barb au cul (assuming that really is the correct derivation
of the word)

it does the job

now if you want an expensive toy, one will be along in due course
--
geoff
raden

In message , IMM
writes

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Get a gas one. they are simple and easy and give the barbecue taste. The
DIY sheds are full of them at a discounts now. I would get a two burner job
with a large lid and an upper shelf.

Right that's it

I'm taking mine to the tip tomorrow

--
geoff
raden

In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors would land on an island, there'd probably be goats.

Catch goat, get sharp stick, do the barb au cul bit and cook

So you forgot the sharp stick bit

--
geoff
Lobster

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Especially when you then eat the food sitting under SWMBO's bloody patio
heater....
David

Dave Stanton

recommended to me by someone who'd got one and bbq's a lot. Just got to
hide it from hubby now!
Jo

So your off down the shops to get a Klingon Cloaking device now !!

Dave

IMM

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

I'd advise to go for one of the relatively sturdy "kettle" types,

A kettle type? The man is a novice.

RichardS

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

ah, yes. I managed to side-step that one by persuading her to get me a
cast iron chiminea for my birthday, and she loves it!

So I can now sleep easy in the knowledge that I'm not attempting to heat the
outside world with fossil fuels, and she gets the ability to sit outside in
light clothes, drinking wine, during thoroughly unsuitable weather
conditions....

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I

say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners. Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

Get a gas one. they are simple and easy and give the barbecue taste. The
DIY sheds are full of them at a discounts now. I would get a two burner

job
with a large lid and an upper shelf.

Right that's it

I'm taking mine to the tip tomorrow

Maxie, be my guest.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

RichardS

"Jo" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy my husband a 'cheap' barbeque for his birthday (I

say
cheap because we are not barbeque experts and really just want one to
practise with). I have no idea what sort are ideal for beginners.

Can
anyone enlighten me - either what sort may be a good reasonably-priced
buy....or what to avoid.
Thanks in advance,
Jo

I'd advise to go for one of the relatively sturdy "kettle" types,

A kettle type? The man is a novice.

You need to expand on that statement.

for the OP's requirement of a _cheap_ barbeque these work very well and are
more effective and made from rather more sturdy materials than the cheap
pressed steel tray-on-wheels types.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Christian McArdle

It's less ****ing around and leaves more time for drinking

The gas BBQs I've been to have all involved much more ****ing around than a
charcoal one. Perhaps that is my patented lighting technique, though. The
trick is to use 7 or 8 pieces of firelighter (not the annoying individually
wrapped ones, the large blocks that you break up yourself). Then lay around
15 pieces of kiln dried wood kindling. Then your lumpwood charcoal. Light
with a Bernzomatic trigger ignition plumbing torch. Retire. Cookable in 10
minutes.

It takes around 90 seconds to set up, by which time your gas BBQ merchant
has just found out that the first gas bottle is empty and the second one
takes a different regulator.

Christian.

David

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
Never been entirely convinced by gas barbeques, but then I haven't used

one
in anger.

The problem with gas BBQs is what is the point? I went to one in the US.

The
food came out evenly cooked, just as if it had cooked in a fan oven. That
isn't a BBQ. If I wanted a nice even oven cooked taste, I'd use the

freaking
oven.

Either they, (or possibley me), just aren't doing it right I can easliy
manage to get the food half burnt, and nicely charred.

I want smoke, scorch marks, flaming infernos when the cheap sausages leak
onto the coals. *That* is a BBQ.

While I have generally managed to avoid too many flames with the gas BBQ,
this has been down to using decent meat, some cheapo burgers last week got
eth flames going nicely as the fat fell onto the lava coals.

cheers

David

Christian McArdle

While I have generally managed to avoid too many flames with the gas BBQ,
this has been down to using decent meat, some cheapo burgers last week got
eth flames going nicely as the fat fell onto the lava coals.

I frequently use sausages as firelighters. If it hasn't lit according to
plan, perhaps because there wasn't any decent kindling or lighters, bung a
few sausages on and it will be like the towering inferno, so you can get the
steaks, lamb and sweetcorn on. You don't have to eat the sausages.

Christian.

IMM wrote:
I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

Isn't it "braaie"?

--
Chris Green
Andy Hall

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

I know, you dork. The Afrikaan's use the word dork too.

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

I was eating some brie at the time. Much yummy.

Christian McArdle

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

Which, BTW, tastes wonderful barbecued.

Christian.

Tony

Andy Hall wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Scott M
writes

IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

....abbreviation of braaivleis (trans. cook meat?)

tony
IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

And that has what to do with impaling you on a sharp stick

Maxie, how did you go getting your rocks off in the far east.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:39:56 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

I know, you dork. The Afrikaan's use the word dork too.

That would be Afrikaners......

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

I was eating some brie at the time. Much yummy.

It can be....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

raden

In message , IMM
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

And that has what to do with impaling you on a sharp stick

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

Perhaps you were thinking of French cheese.

Prolly just up to his usual standards of spelling

--
geoff
The Natural Philosopher

raden wrote:

In message , IMM
writes

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Scott M
writes
IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

And that has what to do with impaling you on a sharp stick

Its 'Braai' actually. Or possibly Brai. Brie is a cheese.

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:55 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Scott M
writes

IMM wrote:

I would get a two burner job with a large lid and an upper shelf.

What we need for this experiment children is:

1) A large gas BBQ.

2) IMM.

3) Some beer. Ok, lots of beer.

4) A rampaging mob of uk.d-i-yers.

5) And a match.

I understand that the origin of the word is barb au cul and comes from
when french sailors

Maxie, in southern Africa a barbecue is called a "brie". Which I find
better.

It's actually called a "braai" - Afrikaans word.

I know, you dork. The Afrikaan's use the word dork too.

They don't. Its something that sounds like 'durss'