stormwolf

Default [Questions]: Beginning woodworker needs some advice

Hi all:

This seems to be a very active and helpful group and I am hoping that
I will get some advice for the newbie questions I am about to ask :-)

I am a beginning woodworker. I am just starting to research into this
area. My interests are to start out small - maybe build a small
shelf, a jewelery box, a small storage cabinet. Stuff like that. The
first thing is that I live in a apartment with limited room. I can
devote a little bit of room (maybe 8 ft x 6ft) for my woodworking
projects. Does anyone live in a small apartment and do their
projects? What kind of problems might I encounter? The 2 that
spring right to mind are maybe noise complaints by neighbours and
cleaning the area. Any suggestions on this?

Also, I'd like to start out small. I do not want to spend a lot of
money on tools initially but I will buy the minimum required stuff.
Hammer, saw, planes, chisel....Does anyone have any advice on this?

Also keeping the nature and scope of my projects in mind (as described
above), does anyone have any recommendations on books to get? Again,
keep in mind that I am a complete newbie. The closest I have gotten
to woodworking is putting an Ikea table together ;-)

Regards,

Stormwolf
Thomas Mitchell

Have you considered taking classes locally? Our Woodcraft store offers
classes for all levels of experience and has many for beginners. The
tools are provided as well as the wood.

stormwolf wrote:
[...]

snip
stormwolf wrote:
first thing is that I live in a apartment with limited room. The 2 that
spring right to mind are maybe noise complaints by neighbours and
cleaning the area. Any suggestions on this?
Also, I'd like to start out small. I do not want to spend a lot of
money on tools initially but I will buy the minimum required stuff.
Regards,
Stormwolf

Most Woodcrafts have a woodworkers Club attached to them. The
membership gets you use of tools on their premises. Combined with
classess ther, you should be able to pick up the information, tool usage
and help to complete your projects.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Charlie Self

Dave in Fairfax writes:

Most Woodcrafts have a woodworkers Club attached to them. The
membership gets you use of tools on their premises.

Not so. A FEW Woodcraft stores have the WWs Club, and it is a worthwhile
addition. The one here in Parkersburg is excellent, but I think there are only
about 6-7 nationwide.

And the membership isn't cheap.

Just checked. There are 4 Woodworker's Clubs.

Charlie Self

"If our democracy is to flourish, it must have criticism; if our government is
to function it must have dissent."
Henry Commager

snip
Charlie Self wrote:
Dave in Fairfax writes:

Not so. A FEW Woodcraft stores have the WWs Club, and it is a worthwhile
addition. The one here in Parkersburg is excellent, but I think there are only
about 6-7 nationwide.
And the membership isn't cheap.
Just checked. There are 4 Woodworker's Clubs.
Charlie Self

Thanks for the correction Charlie. I guess I lucked into the ones that
had them and just figured that it was a feature.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Lenny

Also ....
snip
projects? What kind of problems might I encounter? The 2 that
spring right to mind are maybe noise complaints by neighbours and
cleaning the area. Any suggestions on this?

snip

I remember seeing an idea for taping a furnace filter to a box fan to
use as a "cheapy" benchtop dust collector. Place the filter on the
back side and facing toward the dusty area so that the fan pulls the
dust into the filter. Not sure how it will work but it might be worth
a try.

Chris Merrill

Lenny wrote:
shape. At some point down the road you might consider adding a router
and some quality carbide bits (particularly a pattern bit which can
be used with a straight edge to effectively joint your edges).

Good idea...a small router table (really just a box, with the router
in it) would be easy to store and greatly increase the number of
things you can build. Of course, you won't want to run a router
at 1:30am...

************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Silvan

stormwolf wrote:

projects? What kind of problems might I encounter? The 2 that
spring right to mind are maybe noise complaints by neighbours and
cleaning the area. Any suggestions on this?

I worked in my kitchen for years. The advice you already have is good, so I
won't bother to go through the litany of how/when I bought what.

I built a rather massive 10' x 6' x 1' plant stand in my kitchen using a
miter box, jig saw, electric drill and random-orbit sander. Don't let a
small shop get you down. DO buy a Shop Vac.

I built a lot of shadow box thingies too. I have one shaped like a house,
and one shaped like a mushroom. Just plywood and 1x2s with some kind of
thin something for the shelves.

I have to say that I was looking at one of those just the other day and
thinking how few projects I've done with all my fancy power tools can match
the beauty of some little thing I built with a few tools and a lot of love
in my old kitchen.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 16708 Approximate word count: 501240

Bob Bowles

Couple of years ago Finw Woodworking magazine had an article about a
woodworker that used a closet. My first project was a shelf wife
wanted. Rounded ends and supprts meant bandsaw. Rounded edges and
plate groove meant router. Made the mistake remebering how Sears was
respected YEARS ago and bout 3 wheeled BS and their roter and table.
BBoth given away! Scrollsaws are handt and can make cuts internal to
a slab. Edges can be rounded without using a router. Buy GOOD tools
and take care of them.

On 23 Jul 2003 10:22:35 -0700, (stormwolf)
wrote:

I can devote a little bit of room (maybe 8 ft x 6ft) for my woodworking
projects.

Drywall ceiling advice request Arthur UK diy 4 April 6th 04 11:36 AM
Ladder Advice ewan UK diy 16 March 9th 04 01:04 PM
rewire house - advice please george139 UK diy 15 February 5th 04 12:33 AM
Kitchen Electrical Wiring Regulations Advice Please DeeBee UK diy 3 January 2nd 04 11:48 AM
woodworker seeks metal advice for beading al sheet Mr. Nice Metalworking 2 November 14th 03 07:42 PM