Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bog boxing in - sounding out some ideas before I buy stuff

SWMBO wants a bog. Well, one that's not in the hall anyway. They are
*so* unreasonable, these women! ;-

Anyway, here's the new one, dry fitted (and kids instructed NOT to test!):

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...62205.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...62327.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...62428.jpg.html
http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...62516.jpg.html

I'd like to box in that rear pipe - and the main stack. The rear boxing
is fairly standard - rectangular, about a foot high - or 2' high if I
take the flush pipe from the high level cistern through it, tiled on the
front with a solid wood lid that can be lifted for checking... I'll try
to make the front panel in 2 parts around the soil pipe, screwed on with
grout over the screws so it *could* be removed non destructively if the
worst happens...

Now, that white pipe sticking out the top of the stack sports a 50mm AAV
and has to be 3' high or so to be above the flood line of the basin,
which comes in on that other white pipe down below.

So, I'm thinking of a vertical column, with a door, all tiled including
the door itself - bit like this from the top:

=========== Rear Wall ========
| |
| Stack |
| /
| / --- Door, really 45 degrees
|==== /

The column will be about 4' high, the door 2' or so in the top half -
great place to hide bog rolls and allow easy servicing of the AAV which
is bound to go wrong sometime...

The white waste to the basin *can* be on show as it's fairly
unobtrusive. It's that stack that's pig ugly...

-----------
The questions:
==============

So, assuming I use lots of 2x1" and/or 2x2" for framing and some WBP ply
for the facings, what thickness of ply should I go for to cope with
tiles (yes, have flexible adhesive)? Is 18mm overkill?

For the door hinges, I'm thinking

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Clea.../sd2683/p68351

(Kitchen cupboard concealed hinges).

But I'm open to any cool ideas that other people have done...

Space is everything in this bathroom - it is only 3m2 including bath, so
having lots of hidey places for crap would be a real bonus. I'm even
thinking to put doors, or drawers into the bath panel...

BTW - I know lots of people bed their bogs on silicone (with or without
screws - I would have screws in mine) - is that a bad idea if I ever
need to remove the loo?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

boxing pipework Fred UK diy 16 May 19th 09 03:16 PM
Smoke alarm sounding; for no reason. (Humidity?) terry Home Repair 11 June 14th 07 11:24 AM
Naughty sounding questions asked at hardware store... Bill Home Repair 22 September 18th 05 09:08 PM
"hollow" sounding plaster jon UK diy 6 November 24th 04 09:33 PM