jon

Default "hollow" sounding plaster

I'm trying to undercoat plaster a brick wall that is now inside a
conservatory. I'm using browning which I am mixing fairly wet, also
wetting the wall. There is some cracking of the plaster as it cures but
more worrying is small patches that sound "hollow" as if they haven't
bonded to the bricks.

Is this likely and do these areas need to come off and be re-done?

Any idea how I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Jon
BigWallop

"jon" jon@nospamthanks wrote in message
I'm trying to undercoat plaster a brick wall that is now inside a
conservatory. I'm using browning which I am mixing fairly wet, also
wetting the wall. There is some cracking of the plaster as it cures but
more worrying is small patches that sound "hollow" as if they haven't
bonded to the bricks.

Is this likely and do these areas need to come off and be re-done?

Any idea how I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Jon

What was on the wall before you began to plaster it? Browning plaster isn't
really a bonding base coat. A bonding coat is best for your first layer.

The is best keyed before you begin. This can be done with chisel and hammer
to scrape some of the mortar out and allow your bonding plaster to grip
better between brick courses.

The best technique to use to cover the wall is the daub and stick method.
You mix up some bonding plaster and make daubs of it on the walls. Then you
take plaster board and stick it to the bonding plaster before it dries. Big
sheets of plaster board take about eight or nine daubs of plaster to get
them to stick properly.

---

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"BigWallop" writes:

"jon" jon@nospamthanks wrote in message
I'm trying to undercoat plaster a brick wall that is now inside a
conservatory. I'm using browning which I am mixing fairly wet, also
wetting the wall. There is some cracking of the plaster as it cures but
more worrying is small patches that sound "hollow" as if they haven't
bonded to the bricks.

Is this likely and do these areas need to come off and be re-done?

Any idea how I prevent this from happening?

I would use bonding coat. (Actually, I've never come across a
situation where browning was preferred.)

What was on the wall before you began to plaster it? Browning plaster isn't
really a bonding base coat. A bonding coat is best for your first layer.

The is best keyed before you begin. This can be done with chisel and hammer
to scrape some of the mortar out and allow your bonding plaster to grip
better between brick courses.

Bonding coat sticks just fine without doing that.
You should wet the brickwork with dilute PVA first.
If it all gets sucked straight into the brickwork,
wait for it to dry and repeat. Ideally, apply bonding
coat when PVA is nearly dry but still slightly tacky.

The best technique to use to cover the wall is the daub and stick method.
You mix up some bonding plaster and make daubs of it on the walls. Then you
take plaster board and stick it to the bonding plaster before it dries. Big
sheets of plaster board take about eight or nine daubs of plaster to get
them to stick properly.

That's "a" technique, but not normally the best. It may be the
best achiveable for someone who can't lay down a flat scratch coat.
However, you should use proper plasterboard adhesive, which is a
rapid setting cement mix with adhesive and fibres to give it good
bonding and strength in tension, which plaster or cement alone don't
have.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jon jon@nospamthanks wrote:
I'm trying to undercoat plaster a brick wall that is now inside a
conservatory. I'm using browning which I am mixing fairly wet, also
wetting the wall. There is some cracking of the plaster as it cures but
more worrying is small patches that sound "hollow" as if they haven't
bonded to the bricks.

Is this likely and do these areas need to come off and be re-done?

Any idea how I prevent this from happening?

The base is drawing moisture out of the plaster too fast.

It's always a good idea to prime the wall with a weak PVA solution first
and leave to dry.

Think you should have used bonding coat rather than browning.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mike

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Actually, I've never come across a
situation where browning was preferred.

I've always wondered that.

jon

Mike wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Actually, I've never come across a
situation where browning was preferred.

I've always wondered that.

Ok, thanks guys, I'll try the PVA trick and I'll try bonding. I used
Browning because the excellent article that often gets posted here
about plastering says:-

"With a brick wall the best (IMO) roughing coat is Carlite Browning."

I must admit, the guy in the builders merchant did say "are you sure
you want browning, nobody has used that for years" :-)
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jon jon@nospamthanks wrote:
I must admit, the guy in the builders merchant did say "are you sure
you want browning, nobody has used that for years" :-)

Well, if the stuff they had in stock was old, this would make matters
worse.

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM