BigWallop

"jon" jon@nospamthanks wrote in message
I'm trying to undercoat plaster a brick wall that is now inside a
conservatory. I'm using browning which I am mixing fairly wet, also
wetting the wall. There is some cracking of the plaster as it cures but
more worrying is small patches that sound "hollow" as if they haven't
bonded to the bricks.

Is this likely and do these areas need to come off and be re-done?

Any idea how I prevent this from happening?

Thanks,
Jon

What was on the wall before you began to plaster it? Browning plaster isn't
really a bonding base coat. A bonding coat is best for your first layer.

The is best keyed before you begin. This can be done with chisel and hammer
to scrape some of the mortar out and allow your bonding plaster to grip
better between brick courses.

The best technique to use to cover the wall is the daub and stick method.
You mix up some bonding plaster and make daubs of it on the walls. Then you
take plaster board and stick it to the bonding plaster before it dries. Big
sheets of plaster board take about eight or nine daubs of plaster to get
them to stick properly.

---