Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_2_] Jim K[_2_] is offline

Default Bog boxing in - sounding out some ideas before I buy stuff

On 1 June, 18:38, Tim Watts wrote:
SWMBO wants a bog. Well, one that's not in the hall anyway. They are
*so* unreasonable, these women! ;-

Anyway, here's the new one, dry fitted (and kids instructed NOT to test!):

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...62516.jpg.html

I'd like to box in that rear pipe - and the main stack. The rear boxing
is fairly standard - rectangular, about a foot high - or 2' high if I
take the flush pipe from the high level cistern through it, tiled on the
front with a solid wood lid that can be lifted for checking... I'll try
to make the front panel in 2 parts around the soil pipe, screwed on with
grout over the screws so it *could* be removed non destructively if the
worst happens...

Now, that white pipe sticking out the top of the stack sports a 50mm AAV
and has to be 3' high or so to be above the flood line of the basin,
which comes in on that other white pipe down below.

So, I'm thinking of a vertical column, with a door, all tiled including
the door itself - bit like this from the top:

=========== Rear Wall ========
| |
| Stack |
| /
| / --- Door, really 45 degrees
|==== /

The column will be about 4' high, the door 2' or so in the top half -
great place to hide bog rolls and allow easy servicing of the AAV which
is bound to go wrong sometime...

The white waste to the basin *can* be on show as it's fairly
unobtrusive. It's that stack that's pig ugly...

-----------
The questions:
==============

So, assuming I use lots of 2x1" and/or 2x2" for framing and some WBP ply
for the facings, what thickness of ply should I go for to cope with
tiles (yes, have flexible adhesive)? Is 18mm overkill?

For the door hinges, I'm thinking

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Clea...ealed+Cabinet+...

(Kitchen cupboard concealed hinges).

But I'm open to any cool ideas that other people have done...

Space is everything in this bathroom - it is only 3m2 including bath, so
having lots of hidey places for crap would be a real bonus. I'm even
thinking to put doors, or drawers into the bath panel...

BTW - I know lots of people bed their bogs on silicone (with or without
screws - I would have screws in mine) - is that a bad idea if I ever
need to remove the loo?

is the bog choice final? just (still ;)) doing a wall-hung bog which
would have dealt with most of that pipe-age and makes a small bathroom
look bigger (apparently) cos you can see under it....

ply - I pondered this when doing above - thinnest I considered was
15mm but went for 18mm - only 3mm after all..
18mm still flexes over a span of 750mm (between two uprights - I'll
add a noggin before final fix) tho plenty of your 2X2 etc should sort
that.

drawers under the bath sounds cool but I can see *a lot* of work for
little practical useful space....

siliconing bogs in - never done it - but expect some sort of a "cheese
wire" would undo most adhesion should the need arise?

cheers
Jim K