Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boxing pipework

Hello,

I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

I can't remember what was there before; it may have been hardboard. It
was something pretty thin IIRC.

I don't know what plans my OH has for redecorating the kitchen. Could
I paper or tile over plywood? Or would it be best to leave the box
untiled/unpapered to allow for access should something terrible
happen?

I did wonder about plasterboard: much cheaper than ply and can be
painted, papered and tiled but since I would have to cut it to size,
how could I get a neat edge?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote

Hello,

I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

I used MDF for similar application. Careful filling of screw holes etc and
you get a good surface for painting.
Recommend that you insulate the pipes before fitting as the constant
temperature fluctuation may open up joints etc

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

I'd say MDF is ideal.

I can't remember what was there before; it may have been hardboard. It
was something pretty thin IIRC.

Hardboard is a bit on the weak side.

I don't know what plans my OH has for redecorating the kitchen. Could
I paper or tile over plywood? Or would it be best to leave the box
untiled/unpapered to allow for access should something terrible
happen?

Best not cover them up at all if you think something terrible might
happen. ;-)

I did wonder about plasterboard: much cheaper than ply and can be
painted, papered and tiled but since I would have to cut it to size,
how could I get a neat edge?

If you're tiling, that provides the edge. You might be able to make the
box an exact number of tiles wide. Or use tile edging strip if the tiles
ain't suitable.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

[...]

At 1' wide, you need something a bit more rigid than hardboard.

When I had to make a similar box recently, I used MDF (either 6 or 8mm
thick - can't remember which - I just happened to have some lying around. I
painted mine - but it was on a painted wall anyway. Unless you *expect* to
have to access the pipes, there's no reason not to paper or tile over the
box if you wish.

Getting neat edges on MDF isn't difficult if you have access to a table
saw - or even a hand-held circular saw. The same *doesn't* apply to
plasterboard - whose edges are not supposed to be exposed. Only use
plasterboard if you're going to use some expanded metal corners and then
skim over it - unless you're tiling all round, in which case it would be ok.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 18 May, 12:39, Fred wrote:
[...]

At work, there's always someone boxing something in and the chippies
seem to use MDF every time. I guess one advantage is that you can get
so many thicknesses of MDF, you can always find one that's right to
give a rigid job without overkill.

In terms of removability, it seems to me that either you rely on
having a good job under it, so you don't need to get to it, or you
'know' where the screws etc are. On possibility is to tile then fix
using the screws that you use to fix mirrors, with a chromed dome
screwed into the head.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

plasterboard, and fill with insulation stiff.rockwool. Or 12mm MDF for
a painted finish maybe.

I can't remember what was there before; it may have been hardboard. It
was something pretty thin IIRC.

I don't know what plans my OH has for redecorating the kitchen. Could
I paper or tile over plywood?

tile certainmly. Paper ? Depends on the finish, but should be OK.

Or would it be best to leave the box
untiled/unpapered to allow for access should something terrible
happen?

No. to be frank ripping out and redoing boxing is hardly the worst DIY job.

I did wonder about plasterboard: much cheaper than ply and can be
painted, papered and tiled but since I would have to cut it to size,
how could I get a neat edge?

You cant. Sand it afterwards! Or use some hard beading and skim to that.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I did wonder about plasterboard: much cheaper than ply and can be
painted, papered and tiled but since I would have to cut it to size,
how could I get a neat edge?

You basically lap the sides or the front and then fill with the proper
board fill filler. Surform to the approx shape you want and then sand -
the filler is designed to sand very easily and smooth. Its easy to get
something that looks good even if just painted.

(having said that, as others have said MDF etc would need less overall
titting about)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

MDF.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever happened to conti board, does it still exist?
I must have boxed in a thousand miles of pipes with that stuff.
No sanding, no painting, no cutting for the width.
A few screws and some nice white caps and Bob's yer uncle, a
nice good looking quick job.
A couple of minutes and the cover is off for inspection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

Use MDF or ply, then either tile or sand, cover with lining paper and paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heliotrope Smith coughed up some electrons that declared:

Whatever happened to conti board, does it still exist?
I must have boxed in a thousand miles of pipes with that stuff.
No sanding, no painting, no cutting for the width.
A few screws and some nice white caps and Bob's yer uncle, a
nice good looking quick job.
A couple of minutes and the cover is off for inspection.

It's he

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

I think B&Q still do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Heliotrope Smith wrote:
Whatever happened to conti board, does it still exist?
I must have boxed in a thousand miles of pipes with that stuff.
No sanding, no painting, no cutting for the width.
A few screws and some nice white caps and Bob's yer uncle, a
nice good looking quick job.
A couple of minutes and the cover is off for inspection.

Most of the sheds still sell it. But only in certain widths - so you might
end up with a rather larger box than necessary.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So do Wickes, but they call it furniture panel http://tinyurl.com/penx73

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:48:50 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
had this to say:

Tim S wrote:
Heliotrope Smith coughed up some electrons that declared:

Whatever happened to conti board, does it still exist?
I must have boxed in a thousand miles of pipes with that stuff.
No sanding, no painting, no cutting for the width.
A few screws and some nice white caps and Bob's yer uncle, a
nice good looking quick job.
A couple of minutes and the cover is off for inspection.

It's he

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

I think B&Q still do it.

So do Wickes, but they call it furniture panel http://tinyurl.com/penx73

'Furniture'? From chipboard?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
It's he

http://www.conti.co.uk/range.html

I think B&Q still do it.

So do Wickes, but they call it furniture panel http://tinyurl.com/penx73

Yeh - Contiboard is a trade name. There are other makes.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:45:47 +0100, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Fred" wrote

Hello,

I'm about to box a vertical run of pipes running to/from the boiler in
the kicthen. The box will need to be about 5' tall and 1' wide. So I
screw a piece of timber either side of the pipes for the sides, so far
so good, but what do I use for the 5'x1' face of the box? Would you
just use plywood and paint it?

I used MDF for similar application. Careful filling of screw holes etc and
you get a good surface for painting.
Recommend that you insulate the pipes before fitting as the constant
temperature fluctuation may open up joints etc

Make sure the MDF cannot get wet. Otherwise it turns into weetabix.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2009 07:48:50 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
had this to say:

So do Wickes, but they call it furniture panel
http://tinyurl.com/penx73

'Furniture'? From chipboard?

I think you'll find that a high proportion of - even relatively expensive -
funiture is made of veneered chipboard, rather than solid wood, these days -
even if that does offend your definition of furniture!
--
Cheers,
Roger

OTish: Boxing in pipework Anna Kettle[_3_] UK diy 9 May 12th 09 09:27 AM
Boxing in Cistern TheScullster UK diy 6 March 8th 07 08:12 AM
Fireproofing when boxing in Ben Blaukopf UK diy 2 February 4th 07 11:39 PM
Boxing in gas pipe jon UK diy 3 November 13th 06 06:29 PM
Steel gas pipework and new copper pipework David Hearn UK diy 5 February 5th 04 04:41 PM