Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boxing in Cistern

Hi all

I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan.
Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I have
an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the cistern
and provide a false back for the pan?
I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
Probably end up painting the final install.
I know that "furniture" is available for this application, but as I will be
having to accomodate access to a stop cock and the with of the alchove is
only 700mm, it may well be easier to make something from scratch.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan.
Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I
have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the
cistern and provide a false back for the pan?
I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
Probably end up painting the final install.

MDF is essentially lots of sawdust mixed with a resin; water-resistant mdf
is sawdust mixed with a water-resistant resin. The water-resistant mdf I've
purchased is a light-green hue. It cut's like mdf, and paints like mdf ( I
can't believe it's not mdf g
I placed a 'lump' of the stuff on th area where the dishwasher and washing
machine sit - just-in-case-. It's more expensive than the 'usual' mdf; I
bought mine off SLH.

HTH.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
| "TheScullster" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan.
| Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I
| have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the
| cistern and provide a false back for the pan?
| I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
| Probably end up painting the final install.
|
| MDF is essentially lots of sawdust mixed with a resin; water-resistant mdf
| is sawdust mixed with a water-resistant resin. The water-resistant mdf I've
| purchased is a light-green hue. It cut's like mdf, and paints like mdf ( I
| can't believe it's not mdf g
| I placed a 'lump' of the stuff on th area where the dishwasher and washing
| machine sit - just-in-case-. It's more expensive than the 'usual' mdf; I
| bought mine off SLH.

One problem is the material swelling, warping and breaking up; the other
is paint adhesion. Hardboard is a right b*gg*r, even when well sanded,
and I assume MDF is similar. I would advise plywood - there is no need
for marine ply, but external is better for damp locations.

We have a cheap hardboard door to a shower room, and it has flaked badly.
And that is despite THOROUGH sanding and proper painting.

Oh, and if wiping clean is critical, use a solvent-based gloss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall pan.
Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids (I have
an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in the cistern
and provide a false back for the pan?
I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
Probably end up painting the final install.
I know that "furniture" is available for this application, but as I will be
having to accomodate access to a stop cock and the with of the alchove is
only 700mm, it may well be easier to make something from scratch.

TIA

Phil

Use MDF and tile it where it may get splashed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall
pan. Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable
fluids (I have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use
to box in the cistern and provide a false back for the pan?
I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
Probably end up painting the final install.
I know that "furniture" is available for this application, but as I
will be having to accomodate access to a stop cock and the with of
the alchove is only 700mm, it may well be easier to make something
from scratch. TIA

Phil

Use MDF and tile it where it may get splashed.

I was just going to say that :-(

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
| "TheScullster" wrote in message
| . uk...
|
| I am looking to box in an existing cistern and fit a back to wall
pan.
| Bearing in mind the presence of water and other unmentionable fluids
(I
| have an 11 year old son with poor aim), what should I use to box in
the
| cistern and provide a false back for the pan?
| I am reluctant to use mdf due to water/moisture present.
| Probably end up painting the final install.
|
| MDF is essentially lots of sawdust mixed with a resin; water-resistant
mdf
| is sawdust mixed with a water-resistant resin. The water-resistant mdf
I've
| purchased is a light-green hue. It cut's like mdf, and paints like mdf
( I
| can't believe it's not mdf g
| I placed a 'lump' of the stuff on th area where the dishwasher and
washing
| machine sit - just-in-case-. It's more expensive than the 'usual' mdf;
| bought mine off SLH.

One problem is the material swelling, warping and breaking up;

Spoken like 'one who's never used it' ...

the other
is paint adhesion.

Again spoke like 'one who' never used it' ....

Hardboard is a right b*gg*r, even when well sanded,
and I assume MDF is similar.

Never, ever, make emphatic staements about meterials followed closely by
'and I assume'; don't 'assume' - check!

I would advise plywood - there is no need
for marine ply, but external is better for damp locations.

You might, just might, check on the grades of ply viz, maine; WBS; ...etc..
etc...

We have a cheap hardboard door to a shower room, and it has flaked badly.
And that is despite THOROUGH sanding and proper painting.

Scarcely suprising; given you 'knowledge' of sheet materials.

Oh, and if wiping clean is critical, use a solvent-based gloss.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The problem with free advise; it's worth what one pays for it.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Use MDF and tile it where it may get splashed.

I was just going to say that :-(

Tiling will complicate things considerably because the area that may get
"splashed" needs to include a covered access hole for the incoming main stop
tap

Phil

Fireproofing when boxing in Ben Blaukopf UK diy 2 February 4th 07 11:39 PM
basement teleposts -boxing in brent Home Repair 1 January 16th 07 03:18 PM
Boxing in gas pipe jon UK diy 3 November 13th 06 06:29 PM
boxing in cistern - materials? bob UK diy 2 July 10th 06 08:09 AM
ATTN: The Scullster Boxing in Mogweed. UK diy 6 April 5th 06 09:40 AM