Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Boxing in gas pipe

Having trawlled through old DIY posts I can't seem to get a definitive
answer on whether it is acceptable or not.

Basically gas meter outside in plastic box, pipe enters inside under kitchen
sink, goes left about 50cm then goes directly upstairs against the wall next
to the hot and cold pipes. Can I box all three together. If so can I use
plaster board and skim, or is it better to use mdf and screw and paint,
incase access is needed in the future.

TIA

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote
Having trawlled through old DIY posts I can't seem to get a definitive
answer on whether it is acceptable or not.

Have just had boiler replaced and have boxed in the supply pipe in the
corner of an adjacent room.
One guy that quoted stated that it was OK to box it in provided a vent was
left in the box. As my box work is full height upto first floor void he
said there was a chance that the gas could fill the boxing and the upstairs
floor void before detected.
The pipe was originally boxed in in the same location.
I have not included a vent as there is a sleeve around the gas pipe which
will carry gas through from the boxing into the kitchen.

It sounds like your box work will be open below work top level so gas should
escape immediately and be detected.

I am not an authority, just applying common sense - wait for more educated
response if doubtful

HTH

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"jon" wrote
[...]

I think the general idea is not to allow a gas leak to build up in any
unventilated space of any great size, so either don't box in or vent the
boxing. Having said that it appears perfectly OK to run gas pipe under the
floorboards on the first floor, which defeats the logic of the original
argument!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:17:38 +0000, jon wrote:

Having trawlled through old DIY posts I can't seem to get a definitive
answer on whether it is acceptable or not.

Basically gas meter outside in plastic box, pipe enters inside under kitchen
sink, goes left about 50cm then goes directly upstairs against the wall next
to the hot and cold pipes. Can I box all three together. If so can I use
plaster board and skim, or is it better to use mdf and screw and paint,
incase access is needed in the future.

The rules for gas pipes in ducts is given in the BS 6891 which is the
standard (linked below).

To summarise:
If the ducts is below 100cm^2 Xsection AND 0.1^m volume then you do not
need to ventilate the void.