Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV Licence

"Owain" wrote in message
On 12 Jan, 22:22, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
If you take that view then I am a rapist as "I have the ready apparatus"
commit a crime.

If the feminists had their way ...

Owain

Germaine Greer is a feminist. She has had 12 miles of knob.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:31:57 -0000, "Stewart"
wrote:

Wow, I never expected so many replies. From what you all say then if I
watch the news or weather on my computer I had better get myself a licence.
Thankfully I am almost 75 so then I think it will be free.

Bravo! Enjoy.

There was a letter in tonight's local rag (probably similarly sent to
all LRs in the kingdom) from TVLA reminding people over 75 of their
entitlement to a 'free' licence.
Referring to 'mobile phones, laptops or MP3 players for their elderly
relations', a Phil Reed says:-
"With many of these gadgets now offering online access to TV
programmes, people should be aware that they need to be covered by a
TV Licence if they use any device to watch or record programmes as
they're being broadcast."

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 00:14:54 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

In theory, you can detect the output from the local oscillator in the
TV's tuner - and this would disclose what channel the tuner is currently
attempting to tune. However it does not demonstrate that the output from
the tuner is actually be watched or recorded.

Presumably, in these digital days it may only show what mux you are tuned
to, so even less use!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim W
writes
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 20:33

But why do the TVLA think that they have got the right to ask you to prove
your innocence?

They think they are the New Staasi.

I think they are a bunch of cnuts.

Along with the PRA ...

Who seem to have backed off now that I phoned them back when they put
the phone down on me when I got a bit sweary ... and got even more
sweary with them

.... as I am wont to do

"listen you retard, do you hear any music? NO? Now **** off"

"So you don't have a radio then sir"

"Just **** OFF"

"Thank you sir"

I suppose it's fair. I did tell them what I thought of them in writing. They
didn't proceed to hang me upside down by my testicles and use me as a dart
board, so I suppose they can't be that Nazi after all.

I haven't had a letter from the TVLA for over a year now, but I'm sure
it's too much to hope that they have taken on board that I'm not sitting
around watching TV all day at work

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

Tim W wrote:
Man at B&Q
wibbled on Tuesday 12 January 2010 15:39

If your TV is turned off, it's not capable of receiving live TV. You
still need a license. Get the idea?

MBQ

Not true - assuming it is *always* turned off it does not need a license.

No, but YOUR household does, since it contains the requisite apparatus.

If you take that view then I am a rapist as "I have the ready
apparatus" to commit a crime.

The old scotsman joke ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jason
saying something like:

Just be careful. If the tuner is still operating (and it is likely to be doing
so) when playing, then they can detect that and you will be up in court.

Detect it? With their magic beans?

What a lot of cock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Stewart" wrote in message
Wow, I never expected so many replies.

From what you all say then if I watch the news or weather on my
computer I had better get myself a licence.

If you watch a BBC iPlayer programme that is live there will be a
statement on the page that tells you that you need a TV licence.

Does anyone know why the blind have to pay more for a colour TV licence
than a black and white TV licence?

TV Licensing charges the blind £71.25 a year to use a colour TV and £24
a year to use a B&W TV

I wouldn't have thought either were particularly useful to a blind person.

Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:

Nope. If the TV is in the shed or the attic, then it is just a box of electronic
gizmos. You don't need a licence just to *own* a TV.

The operative word used to be "install", which means plugging it in and
connecting an antenna.

You're quite right, a TV licence is needed to 'install' a TV.

If you then give up the licence or let it expire, there is no legal
requirement to 'uninstall' the TV. So, if you have held a TV licence
in the past, then providing the TV you have was covered by it, you can
leave it connected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote:

Last September I wrote to TV licensing and informed them that I would
not be renewing my licence.
I asked if there was a requirement to place my tv "somwhere" in the
house.

I received a reply from them saying that I would get a visit from then
in the future and after that I would not be contacted for three years.
No visiit yet.
I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

Unless they turn up with a warrant, they have no right to inspect
anything and you do not have to let them into your home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 12, 7:19*pm, "OG" wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:36:27 +0000, Stewart wrote:

Also useful...

"Watching TV on the internet
* *You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the
same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the
Channel Islands.

The law uses the words similar to "capable of receiving broadcasts".
Therefore if there are live broadcast on the 'net, your system will be
capable of receiving then, and hence you theoretically need a licence.

Not sure which law you are referring to, but the
The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004
includes
Definitions for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 and the Wireless
Telegraphy Act 1967

Meaning of "television receiver"
* * *9. *- (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving
(whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television
programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other
purpose.

So it's clear that it's the *purpose* for the apparatus rather than the
*capability* that's important.

So, with respect, I think you are in error.

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:09

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

MBQ

I thought my quote from TVLA was the end to the argument - they clearly said
"watch". Why are we still debating?

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Man at B&Q
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:09

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

MBQ

I thought my quote from TVLA was the end to the argument - they clearly said
"watch". Why are we still debating?

I remember my mother getting a visit from the detector van. "We have
reason to believe etc". "Oh", says she, "I haven't got one" (meaning a
licence). They apologised and bid her good day. So much for their
detection equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Stewart" wrote in message
Wow, I never expected so many replies.

From what you all say then if I watch the news or weather on my computer
I had better get myself a licence.

If you watch a BBC iPlayer programme that is live there will be a
statement on the page that tells you that you need a TV licence.

Does anyone know why the blind have to pay more for a colour TV licence
than a black and white TV licence?

TV Licensing charges the blind £71.25 a year to use a colour TV and £24 a
year to use a B&W TV

I wouldn't have thought either were particularly useful to a blind person.

Blind doesn't always mean total blackout. I know a registed blind wood
turner. He has tunnel vision.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Does anyone know why the blind have to pay more for a colour TV licence
than a black and white TV licence?

TV Licensing charges the blind £71.25 a year to use a colour TV and £24
a year to use a B&W TV

Adam.

I imagine because having a blind person in the household allows the
household to get a cheap licence. Everybody in the household gets the
benefit of the concession.

I suspect that very few completely blind people live on their own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q :
On Jan 12, 7:19*pm, "OG" wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

That means it qualifies as a "television receiver" for the purposes of
the act. It doesn't necessarily mean you need a licence for it.

You don't have to
actually use it.

Oh yes you do.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:19 pm, "OG" wrote:

Meaning of "television receiver"
9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving
(whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television
programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other
purpose.

So it's clear that it's the *purpose* for the apparatus rather than the
*capability* that's important.

So, with respect, I think you are in error.

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

No, that's why it says "installed or used for the purpose of receiving..."

If it's not installed or used for that specific purpose, then it doesn't
need a licence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

Just be careful. If the tuner is still operating (and it is likely to be
doing
so) when playing, then they can detect that and you will be up in court.

-- JJ

Detect what and how?

In theory, you can detect the output from the local oscillator in the TV's
tuner - and this would disclose what channel the tuner is currently
attempting to tune. However it does not demonstrate that the output from
the tuner is actually be watched or recorded.

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the
courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Did you mean PRS? Or did I give a good swear worded volley off to the wrong
person on the phone last week?

PRS "Do you use a radio at work?"

Me "Do you want me to ****** *** *** * *** ***"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

I forget the edge case where you only use the TV for watching DVDs...

The trouble is, even watching through a SCART cable only, the receiver is
still
operating in the background and you an still be done for it if you don't
have a
licence. You need to disconnect the tuner internally.

Wrong.

No you are wrong.

I have evidence, but I'll just offer as much as you did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

Just be careful. If the tuner is still operating (and it is likely
to be doing
so) when playing, then they can detect that and you will be up in
court.

-- JJ

Detect what and how?

In theory, you can detect the output from the local oscillator in the
TV's tuner - and this would disclose what channel the tuner is
currently attempting to tune. However it does not demonstrate that the
output from the tuner is actually be watched or recorded.

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the
courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

I've been in one and played with the equipment. They do (or did) exist and do work.

These days though, it is more likely to involve a hand-held device, since they
already have the addresses of people without licences and just walk up to their
front door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Man at B&Q
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:09

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

MBQ

I thought my quote from TVLA was the end to the argument - they clearly said
"watch". Why are we still debating?

Because if you go back another level to the source, it clearly says "install or
watch".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 20:11

Tim W wrote:
Man at B&Q
wibbled on Wednesday 13 January 2010 12:09

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

MBQ

I thought my quote from TVLA was the end to the argument - they clearly
said "watch". Why are we still debating?

Because if you go back another level to the source, it clearly says
"install or watch".

Being a stronger case, surely the TVLA would them say that on their website
as it gives them more victims?

--
Tim Watts

Icicles - nature's way of pinpointing all the leaks in your guttering...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

[...]

Never used in court. And they did not exist. You were tricked.

These days though, it is more likely to involve a hand-held device, since
they
already have the addresses of people without licences and just walk up to
their
front door.

The only hand held device that works properly is a penis.

Ada,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Jason" wrote in message
news
OG wrote:

I forget the edge case where you only use the TV for watching DVDs...
The trouble is, even watching through a SCART cable only, the receiver
is
still
operating in the background and you an still be done for it if you don't
have a
licence. You need to disconnect the tuner internally.

Wrong.

No you are wrong.

I have evidence, but I'll just offer as much as you did.

My evidence
=====
The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004
includes
Definitions for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 and the Wireless
Telegraphy Act 1967

Meaning of "television receiver"
9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving
(whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television
programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other
purpose.
======
If it is not installed or used "for the purpose of receiving ... television
programme service" it doesn't need a licence.

You may have reference to an older Regulation or Act, but this is the
current law.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

On 12 Jan, 10:36, "Stewart" wrote:
I have no TV but watch the news, weather etc on computer as well as using
bbc iplayer.
I regularly get a notice from the licencing authority telling me that if I
have a receiver (including computer) that can receive "live" tv then I must
buy a licence.
Now I have tried several things to see what is "live".
My digital radio plays the same programme slightly later than my FM radio so
the digital radio cannot be "live".
I was in away at New Year and both watched and listened to the Vienna New
Year concert, it was "live" on FM radio, slightly later on digital radio and
later still on TV so that was not "live",
The news and weather from bbc on the computer are also later than those on a
tv.
Does anyone know what "live" really means?
Thank you.

Has the mystery of "Do TV detector vans exist/work" been solved yet?

Is anyone aware of evidence from such vans/equipment being used in a
prosecution?

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jason
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

[...]

And look through the curtains

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
ARWadsworth writes

"Jason" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

[...]

****** ...

ha ha

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, dg
writes
On 12 Jan, 10:36, "Stewart" wrote:
[...]

Prolly a bit like Thames Valley Police's porche

There is one which sort of works, but spends most of its time at photo
shoots, schools and other publicity functions

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the
courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

In the early days of 'TV Detection Vans' my uncle worked for the GPO/BT.

At the weekend he would earn overtime by driving the van around likely
estates. The idea was to look conspicious with the van clearly identified
with large letters. No detection was actually done but it got people
scurrying down to the P.Office on the Monday.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Jason
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

I use the tv for PS2 and DVD

[...]

The curtains it is:-)

One of my customers used to be a TV licence inspector. Seeing a working TV
through the window and then knocking on the door was his number one way of
catching out the nonpaying users. Calling when Corrie or Eastenders was on
was a cert. During an England football match was also a good time to call.

Of course he always started by saying "You do not have to say anything etc"
which usually scared the homeowner into admitting everything.

The only technical bit of TV licencing enforcement is the electronic
database.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the
courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

In the early days of 'TV Detection Vans' my uncle worked for the GPO/BT.

At the weekend he would earn overtime by driving the van around likely
estates. The idea was to look conspicious with the van clearly identified
with large letters. No detection was actually done but it got people
scurrying down to the P.Office on the Monday.

mark

Was the van empty with an aerial on top and big letters on the side saying
"TV DETECTOR VAN"?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 7:09*pm, OG wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:19 pm, "OG" wrote:

Meaning of "television receiver"
* * *9. *- (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving
(whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television
programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other
purpose.

So it's clear that it's the *purpose* for the apparatus rather than the
*capability* that's important.

So, with respect, I think you are in error.

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

No, that's why it says "installed or used for the purpose of receiving..."

If it's not installed or used for that specific purpose, then it doesn't
need a licence.

Installed OR used, not installed AND used. Installing and not using it
still satisfies what it says.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 9:39*pm, "OG" wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message

news

OG wrote:

[...]

The opposite of "installed OR used" is "not installed AND not used".
Boole showed us this many years ago.

you musn't install it and you musn't use it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
m...

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

That is the correct answer.

It is all "in theory".

The TVLA would have to give the working details of a detector van to the
courts if they ever used such a device to obtain a warrant.

Adam

In the early days of 'TV Detection Vans' my uncle worked for the GPO/BT.

At the weekend he would earn overtime by driving the van around likely
estates. The idea was to look conspicious with the van clearly identified
with large letters. No detection was actually done but it got people
scurrying down to the P.Office on the Monday.

mark

Was the van empty with an aerial on top and big letters on the side saying
"TV DETECTOR VAN"?

Yep, pretty much.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
m...

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Park it outside the chip shop at tea time and outside the WMC at kicking out
time and the plebs will soon get the story around all the estate. Easy.

I believe that they park in supermaket car parks these days to get the
maximum viewing figures.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:42:21 -0800, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jan 13, 7:09Â*pm, OG wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:19 pm, "OG" wrote:

Meaning of "television receiver"
Â* Â* Â*9. Â*- (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception),
Â* Â* Â*"television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any
television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used
for any other purpose.

So it's clear that it's the *purpose* for the apparatus rather than
the *capability* that's important.

So, with respect, I think you are in error.

By your own quote "apparatus installed or used for the purpose of
receiving", just installing it is sufficient. You don't have to
actually use it.

No, that's why it says "installed or used for the purpose of
receiving..."

If it's not installed or used for that specific purpose, then it
doesn't need a licence.

Installed OR used, not installed AND used. Installing and not using it
still satisfies what it says.

No, expanding it gives "installed for the purpose OR use for the purpose".

Installing it NOT for the purpose is legal.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 7:09Â pm, OG wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:19 pm, "OG" wrote:
[...]

"well yer honor, I installed me 54" plasmaa and surround sound , and
satellite dish and Digital aerial just to impress the neighbours, no we
never watch it."

Hmm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 7:09Â pm, OG wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:19 pm, "OG" wrote:
Meaning of "television receiver"
   9.  - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV
reception), Â Â Â "television
[...]

But the case we were discussing wasn't that, was it? It was an installed
TV used to watch DVDs, or fed from a PC with iPlayer.

No antaenna/dish needed.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mobile phones
A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone,
whether you're at home or out and about. If you are covered by a valid
licence at the address where you live, you will be licensed to use any
device powered solely by its own internal batteries outside the home too."

You might want to actually charge the phone while still streaming. Heaven forfend.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Waste licence fine Matty F UK diy 8 July 14th 09 08:57 AM
Corgi licence change mogga UK diy 74 June 24th 08 11:53 PM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
Screwfix Descriptive Licence ..? Stuart UK diy 4 March 29th 06 11:16 AM
"Do I need a TV licence" a solution ? T i m UK diy 9 January 27th 05 10:04 PM