Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waste licence fine

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Google Groups search has
not been working for months.

If you in the UK don't like the regulations discussed in the following
article, you know what to do: -

Complain to your MP and Council.
Ridicule and publish the names of the people who devised these
regulations, and the names of those who could rescind the regulations
but won't.
Don't vote for any of those people again.
Every election, publish it all again.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/..._licence_fine/

A PLUMBER was left reeling when during a spot check to test for
illegal diesel he was landed with a £300 fine for illegally carrying
waste.

David Jolly, along with his 19 year-old apprentice James Crilly, were
driving to a job in Farnworth when they were flagged down by police
checking for red diesel.

His fuel was fine — but he was staggered when a council inspector
handed him an on-the-spot fine for carrying an old radiator and a
piece of twisted copper piping — residue from a job he had worked on,
in the back of his van.
A council spokesman said: “If you transport controlled waste in the
course of your business or in any way for profit, you are legally
required to register as a waste carrier, even if only in small
quantities. A licence must be obtained from the Environment Agency.

“The council acted in line with this ruling and is enforcing it in
partnership with Greater Manchester Police as part of the Farnworth
Beat Sweep operation.”

The fine was issued under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act
2005 which also covers the Control of Pollution Act 1989.

The spokesman added: “All people carrying waste commercially must have
a licence. This allows them to dump waste at the tip without paying
any extra — but they must have a waste transfer note from the tip.

“It is the responsibility of anyone who starts up a business to know
how the law affects them but the council did advertise in the press
and informed people at the area forums when the 2005 act came in.”
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a bit of waste (pardon the pun), I pay (I think) £144 for a 2 year
licence.

So far I have had nothing out of it, no interesting reading sent to me
in the post or via email. Nobody at the recycling centre has asked for
it, they have never asked for the waste transfer note.

Absolutely nothing.

I suppose its an insurance policy, as opposed to pay an on the spot
fine.

I tell all my customers about this law, and nobody knows nothing.
Nobody wants to sign a waste transfer note either, so I just put RTS
refuse to sign inplace of the signature.

It just appears to be an indirect taxation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
[...]

In this situation I would argue it was not waste at all, it was part
payment for the work I had done, as it still had commercial value.

Presumably the plumber was not going to dump these items, he was
planning on selling them on?

Toby...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
Google Groups search has
not been working for months.

Eh? Fine here...

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...rs=&safe=o ff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:06:00 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be Matty F
quoted this:-

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/..._licence_fine/

The spokesman added: “All people carrying waste commercially must have
a licence. This allows them to dump waste at the tip without paying
any extra — but they must have a waste transfer note from the tip.

All these extra pieces of paper, part of a scheme involving waste.
Stupid.

I have thought for some years that the intentions of the scheme have
been lost in the typical gold plating UK officials do.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 8:34 pm, Lobster wrote:
Matty F wrote:
Google Groups search has
not been working for months.

Eh? Fine here...

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups/se...aste+licence&a...

Well I did do a search for that topic and found nothing.
The Google search still cannot find things that were recently posted
in nz Usenet Groups.
Part of the problem could be because Google have decided to name
Usenet as Groups, and also call their own version of Usenet as Google
Groups also.

I cannot find the "Google Groups Help Forum" on groups.google.co.uk
(can you find it? I've searched for it)
but here it is on groups.google.co.nz:

http://groups.google.co.nz/group/gro...69a7d20d?hl=en

Google Groups Help Forum

Discussions Groups Announcements and Alerts Some Google Groups Not
Being Indexed

Hello All,

Currently some Google Groups are not being indexed and thus new
content is not showing up in search results. We're aware of the issue
and hope to have it resolved shortly. Thanks for your patience.

The Google Groups Team

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
[...]

I have noticed this for a few months, perhaps it coincided with
two radio buttons "all groups" and "Google Groups", nether of
which correspond purely to the Usenet archive that used to be
Deja News.

It doesn't bode well.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
(SNIP)

The fine was issued under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act
2005 which also covers the Control of Pollution Act 1989.

The spokesman added: “All people carrying waste commercially must have
a licence. This allows them to dump waste at the tip without paying
any extra — but they must have a waste transfer note from the tip.

I'd love to dispose of customers waste for them as part of a quality
service. Alas, licence or not, all our local tips have a height barrier and
don't allow commercial vehicles in.

Your post has prompted me to e mail our local council to ask where I could
take waste should ihave a licence - no mention of licence application,
location of tips on their web site.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

“It is the responsibility of anyone who starts up a business to know
how the law affects them but the council did advertise in the press
and informed people at the area forums when the 2005 act came in.”

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Matty F wrote:
(SNIP)

The fine was issued under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act
2005 which also covers the Control of Pollution Act 1989.

The spokesman added: "All people carrying waste commercially must have
a licence. This allows them to dump waste at the tip without paying
any extra - but they must have a waste transfer note from the tip.

I'd love to dispose of customers waste for them as part of a quality
service. Alas, licence or not, all our local tips have a height barrier
and don't allow commercial vehicles in.

Your post has prompted me to e mail our local council to ask where I could
take waste should ihave a licence - no mention of licence application,
location of tips on their web site.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Let me know what they come up with. I expext that is will cost you and you
will have to use a weighbridge type facility to dispose of your waste.

Adam

Corgi licence change mogga UK diy 74 June 24th 08 11:53 PM
OTish - small traders, Waste carrying licence? A.Lee UK diy 4 June 30th 07 02:39 PM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
Screwfix Descriptive Licence ..? Stuart UK diy 4 March 29th 06 11:16 AM
"Do I need a TV licence" a solution ? T i m UK diy 9 January 27th 05 10:04 PM