Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 18v drill recommendations

Him indoors is after a new 18v drill. The one from wickes I'd won has
died and he wants a new one.
Although he's just seen that B&Q do a 24V one...

(Two batteries required of course)

Any good ones out there?
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dewalt 18V 1900rpm 13mm chuck 2 battery £99 at screwfix - no idea if
the offer still on.

The speed control is ok, not quite as good as the makita - but I could
not try it under load (they don't let people loose with them in their
walls and desks... damned unsociable if you ask me but there we are).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov, 16:46, "js.b1" wrote:
Dewalt 18V 1900rpm 13mm chuck 2 battery £99 at screwfix - no idea if
the offer still on.

The speed control is ok, not quite as good as the makita - but I could
not try it under load (they don't let people loose with them in their
walls and desks... damned unsociable if you ask me but there we are).

CPC emailed me a blurb the other day Makita 10.8V Li Ion twinpack -
drill driver and impact driver £125 +vat?
2 batts charger. metal case - looks good I'm tempted to ask santa
meself!

I *loved* using a Makita impact driver (altho was 18v Li Ion) that a
builder working here recently had ....

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:05:30 +0000
mogga wrote:

Him indoors is after a new 18v drill. The one from wickes I'd won has
died and he wants a new one.
Although he's just seen that B&Q do a 24V one...

(Two batteries required of course)

Any good ones out there?

Yes, but it's impossible to say without knowing your budget. For £150
you can get a superb tool (Dewalt, Makita etc), under £100 it's
starting to be a lottery.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I must be falling asleep, doing DIY every spare minute.

For about £119-129 you can get a heavy duty Makita with 2x 2.6Ah NiMH.
Most DIYers avoid NiMH because of the self-discharge (flat when you
need them), but battery capacity 2.0Ah is very welcome if you need it
- waiting for piddling 1.3Ah batteries to recharge gets "old" after a
time particularly when you are down to two or one of them.

To get 2x 3.0Ah NiMH or L-Ion you are into £220-280, so the above is
very good value. Whatever, get a 13mm chuck if possible because the
small ones can be frustrating and converting quite expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov, 18:29, "js.b1" wrote:
I must be falling asleep, doing DIY every spare minute.

For about £119-129 you can get a heavy duty Makita with 2x 2.6Ah NiMH.

got a link plse?

Most DIYers avoid NiMH because of the self-discharge (flat when you
need them), but battery capacity 2.0Ah is very welcome if you need it
- waiting for piddling 1.3Ah batteries to recharge gets "old" after a
time particularly when you are down to two or one of them.

charge time for the "piddlies" is only 50 mins - apparently... plus no
self discharge waiting in the cupboard.

I was well impressed with how much could be done with the 18v Li Ion
kit the builder had compared to my no/low name gear...but his setup
cost £600+ a bit beyond justficiation for me (+ possibly OP?)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:
Him indoors is after a new 18v drill. The one from wickes I'd won has
died and he wants a new one.
Although he's just seen that B&Q do a 24V one...

Avoid the B&Q stuff like the plauge.

(Two batteries required of course)

Any good ones out there?

Hitachi Li-Ion £97
http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_HITDS1...llDrive r.htm

Only 1 x 1.5a/hr though.

AEG with 2 x NiCd batts £80
http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_AEGBS1...rillDriver.htm

Makita with 2 x 1.3a/hr NiCd £91
http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK639...llDriv er.htm

Makita with 3 x 1.3a/hr NiCd £109
http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK639...llDr iver.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 7:21*pm, JimK wrote:
On 14 Nov, 18:29, "js.b1" wrote:
For about £119-129 you can get a heavy duty Makita with 2x 2.6Ah NiMH..

got a link plse?

Annoyingly I can't find the online seller, however...
- http://www.lawson-his.co.uk
- Makita 6317DWDE (+FREE MUG SET)
- 12v Marathon Drill Driver with 2x 2.6Ah NiMH Batteries
- £117 inc VAT

Note that is 12V - but with the Marathon motor (80Nm torque).

I know there was a 14.4V or 18V 2x 2.6Ah NiMH online at
£119-124-119 because I kept stumbling over it re batteries.

I suspect they are dumping some NiMH models for L-Ion.

charge time for the "piddlies" is only 50 mins - apparently... plus no
self discharge waiting in the cupboard.

Some Makita 1.3Ah W/Charger are 30min.
They will charge larger - I charge 2.0Ah fine.

The self-discharge is noteworthy tho, but the capacity of even 2.0Ah
vs 1.3Ah in NiCD is really significant on jobs that need it. The NiMH
give a very powerful and long lasting power for heavy trade usage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doing it in reverse, using Ebay as a "catalog".

Makita 6337DWDE 14.4V Drill-Driver + 2x 2.6AH NiMH
- Ebay 180343173376
- £120 delivered
- Drill + Charger + 2 Batteries + Case
- New

For comparison online...
Makita 6337DWDE3 14.4v Drill-Driver + 3x 2.6Ah NiMh
- http://www.powertools2u.co.uk
- £170
- 3 Batteries this time

The Makita 12V Marathon has more torque than the 18V MXT.

It looks like the NiMH are being cleared out for L-Ion.

I'm sure I saw a 14.4V & 18V at £119-124-129, one was at a
"conventional" looking tool website the other at one which
carries everything as pages and pages of part numbers and
lists. So it may simply be what is left available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Found it.
I have never used them, but http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk

Hard to navigate site re Makita then NiMH powertools (link).

6337DWDE
- 14.4v Drill Driver Makita 6337DWDE Cordless Drill Driver
with 2 x 2.6Ah NiMH Batteries & Charger 13mm Keyless
Chuck c/w 5mtr PTUK Tape
- £103.13

6337DWDE3
- 14.4v Drill Driver Makita 6337DWDE Cordless Drill Driver
with 3 x 2.6Ah NiMH Batteries & Charger 13mm Keyless
Chuck c/w 5mtr PTUK Tape
- £133.23

Prices ex VAT. Not checked T&C.
Worth trawling occasionally, along with Ebay for the odd offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
I must be falling asleep, doing DIY every spare minute.

For about £119-129 you can get a heavy duty Makita with 2x 2.6Ah NiMH.
Most DIYers avoid NiMH because of the self-discharge (flat when you
need them), but battery capacity 2.0Ah is very welcome if you need it
- waiting for piddling 1.3Ah batteries to recharge gets "old" after a
time particularly when you are down to two or one of them.

I found the 2.6Ah Ni-Mh batts on my Makita combi were surprisingly good
in that respect. Even after a month of no use there was typically enough
left to get on with.

--
Cheers,

John.

Cordless drill recommendations? John Woodworking 53 December 30th 08 06:27 AM
All-round SDS+ drill recommendations olo UK diy 22 October 12th 07 09:55 AM
drill recommendations [email protected] UK diy 8 August 10th 05 10:47 PM
SDS Drill recommendations? Rob UK diy 45 April 12th 05 01:14 PM
SDS Drill recommendations? Rob UK diy 0 April 8th 05 10:21 AM