Posted to uk.d-i-y
olo olo is offline

Default All-round SDS+ drill recommendations

Hi folks,

Looking to buy my first SDS drill for a serious DIY use. Budget ~100
quid or less. Requirements:
- safety clutch
- chiseling mode
- not too heavy
- occasional core drilling may be required (say once per 6 months up
to 100mm core)

I know people recommend dedicated core drills, but on the other hand
some had successes with powerful SDS with safety clutch. Can you
confirm that this is right thinking ?

So which "powerful" SDS drill might be up (not frequently though) for
it also providing good drilling/chiselling service on the regular
basis? What parameters to look at:
- wattage (which one input/output/else)
- no load speed
- impact energy
- torque
- drilling capacity

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:

any help much appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Oct, 11:32, olo wrote:
[...]

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...94630&ts=11604

any help much appreciated.

Have a search back in the groups, there are plenty of suggestions.

I just bought a Makita HR2450X (http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/
details.php?cat=SDS%20Chisel%20Drills&product=678) intial impressions
are a great bit of kit, weight is good and the control on the trigger
is brilliant. Chissel is excellent. I opted to spend a few quid more
to get some bits (though they can be poor bundled) as I had none.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just bought ...

That looks an excellent deal. The interchangeable sds and keyless
chucks is an extra well worth having.

I've use this for years:
http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?ProductID=62569
which has similar interchangeable chucks.

You may be able to find the Bosch gbh2-24dfr discounted as I believe
it's a discontinued model.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

olo wrote:

Looking to buy my first SDS drill for a serious DIY use. Budget ~100
quid or less. Requirements:

The only one I'd be looking at is this Dewalt SDS corded drill and 12v
cordless drill at £100 from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=17220&id=4352
0

I cant see a downside to that deal - the 12v drill on its own is £80ish.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
olo wrote:

Looking to buy my first SDS drill for a serious DIY use. Budget ~100
quid or less. Requirements:

The only one I'd be looking at is this Dewalt SDS corded drill and 12v
cordless drill at £100 from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=17220&id=4352
0

I cant see a downside to that deal - the 12v drill on its own is £80ish.

The only obvious one is it probably does not have the power for doing
the larger core sizes. Otherwise, it is a very good deal.

(Not sure about the 3 speed bit in the ad either)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 10/10/2007 12:58 A.Lee wrote:

The only one I'd be looking at is this Dewalt SDS corded drill and 12v
cordless drill at £100 from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=17220&id=4352
0

I got that one around 18 months ago when they were selling it for ~£75.
Delighted with it! It's not three speed though, it's variable speed.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
olo wrote:

Looking to buy my first SDS drill for a serious DIY use. Budget ~100
quid or less. Requirements:

The only one I'd be looking at is this Dewalt SDS corded drill and 12v
cordless drill at £100 from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=17220&id=4352
0

I cant see a downside to that deal - the 12v drill on its own is £80ish.
Alan.

Great deal. And I would go for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

olo wrote:

Looking to buy my first SDS drill for a serious DIY use. Budget ~100
quid or less. Requirements:
- safety clutch
- chiseling mode
- not too heavy
- occasional core drilling may be required (say once per 6 months up
to 100mm core)

I know people recommend dedicated core drills, but on the other hand
some had successes with powerful SDS with safety clutch. Can you
confirm that this is right thinking ?

So which "powerful" SDS drill might be up (not frequently though) for
it also providing good drilling/chiselling service on the regular
basis? What parameters to look at:
- wattage (which one input/output/else)
- no load speed
- impact energy
- torque
- drilling capacity

Sounds like a pretty straightforward choice then... one of the more
powerful 2kg machines...

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:

Looks plausible, but I have no direct experience of it and have not read
any reports either so it is a bit of an unknown quantity. I do have one
Sparky machine (wall chaser) which is certainly ok, although I would not
put it in the Makita/Blue Bosch/Hitachi quality bracket.

I use the Makita 2450 and rate it very highly. The Hitachi in the same
class is also very good.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...hisel%20Drills

There is a new Bosch GBH26 range one that would do nicely - but that is
a bit over your price bracket. The older GBH24 is also very good, but is
only a 620W machine and may not be up to the core drilling (the 780W
only just hacks it with a 107mm core - I have cut enough with it in
different materials to almost wear out the first core bit!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
olo olo is offline

thanks to all who replied - especially to gna for the Makita 2450 link
and to John for confirming it's "OK" with 107mm cores (from time to
time)

the 780W only just hacks it with a 107mm core - I have cut enough with it in
different materials to almost wear out the first core bit!

this is exactly what I'm after - occasional bathroom/kitchen vent or
boiler flue, but mostly sds drilling and chiselling

The only one I'd be looking at is this Dewalt SDS corded drill and 12v
cordless drill at £100 from Screwfix:

agreed, excellent deal but ...
I already own cordless drill/driver which I am happy with and I am
slightly worried that 650W DeWalt may not be up to 107mm core

cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 11:32:35 +0100, olo said:

Hi folks,

[...]

That one is pretty much an unknown brand so one would have to ask the
questions about spares and service.

Bosch, Makita and DeWalt all have products around this price point
which are known to be good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om, olo
scribeth thus
[...]

Makita 2450

Excellent bit of kit, best drill I've bought)
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

I have 2 Makita drill drivers, an impact drive, a router, a jigsaw & a
circular saw. All do exactly what it says on the tin. Can faullt any of
them, they all punch well above their weight.

My SDS however is a Wickes/Kress. When I bought it the Makita was a fair
bit more expensive. I can't fault the Wickes mahine either, excellent
machine in all respects, but if they were of similar price I'd buy the Mak.

As you may spot, I'm a big Makita fan.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 22:43:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have 2 Makita drill drivers, an impact drive, a router, a jigsaw & a
circular saw. All do exactly what it says on the tin. Can faullt any of
them, they all punch well above their weight.

My SDS however is a Wickes/Kress. When I bought it the Makita was a fair
bit more expensive. I can't fault the Wickes mahine either, excellent
machine in all respects, but if they were of similar price I'd buy the Mak.

As you may spot, I'm a big Makita fan.

I knew you'd get there eventually.

Now after the Nigerian lady pays...... you will be able to invest in
Festool and increase your prices substantially.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 22:43:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have 2 Makita drill drivers, an impact drive, a router, a jigsaw &
a circular saw. All do exactly what it says on the tin. Can faullt
any of them, they all punch well above their weight.

My SDS however is a Wickes/Kress. When I bought it the Makita was a
fair bit more expensive. I can't fault the Wickes mahine either,
excellent machine in all respects, but if they were of similar price
I'd buy the Mak. As you may spot, I'm a big Makita fan.

I knew you'd get there eventually.

Now after the Nigerian lady pays...... you will be able to invest in
Festool and increase your prices substantially.

The Nigerian lady has already paid - I don't do credit. Festool? I'd have
to win the lottery :-)

In two minds about prices - like all small business's I worry that if I
increase prices I'll lose work. Having said that I'm fully booked til the
end of Oct with jobs coming in every day.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-10 23:49:36 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-10-10 22:43:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

I have 2 Makita drill drivers, an impact drive, a router, a jigsaw &
a circular saw. All do exactly what it says on the tin. Can faullt
any of them, they all punch well above their weight.

My SDS however is a Wickes/Kress. When I bought it the Makita was a
fair bit more expensive. I can't fault the Wickes mahine either,
excellent machine in all respects, but if they were of similar price
I'd buy the Mak. As you may spot, I'm a big Makita fan.

I knew you'd get there eventually.

Now after the Nigerian lady pays...... you will be able to invest in
Festool and increase your prices substantially.

The Nigerian lady has already paid - I don't do credit.

Very good. It sounded like an entertaining set of jobs.

Festool? I'd have
to win the lottery :-)

I can safely say that I stand zero chance of that, never ever having
bought a ticket. I pay quite enough in taxes without supporting a
voluntary version that puts some of its money into projects that either
normal tax should be funding or which aren't worth doing and gives the
rest to people who really don't know how to use it properly.

In two minds about prices - like all small business's I worry that if I
increase prices I'll lose work. Having said that I'm fully booked til the
end of Oct with jobs coming in every day.

There is also the thing about having a published price list. I
suppose that for the short jobs aspect, people find it helpful to know
roughly what they are going to be in for before making contact.
Perhaps you could increase prices for the quoted work, although I
suppose that that can't be more than the timed rate....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

olo wrote:

[...]

Look at the Wickes professional range. I have had the smaller of the
two, a 650W, 2Kg drill for about 5 years and find it very good. I have
only drilled one 110 mm core and it coped, with care. The drill is made
by Kress and sreviced by Draper. When the mains lead failed (out of
warranty) I took it to their depot in Chandlers Ford (Hants) and they
courriered it back to me. I have yet to be charged!

Price is arround £100

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

olo wrote:

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:

Never heard of it but the name sounds like it should be an Argos job,
not a 100-quid one. For that money you could go for a decent recognised
brand name like Makita/Bosch/DeWalt or whatever - why wouldn't you?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
olo wrote:

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:

Never heard of it but the name sounds like it should be an Argos job,
not a 100-quid one. For that money you could go for a decent recognised
brand name like Makita/Bosch/DeWalt or whatever - why wouldn't you?

Duh, always read any other replies before posting or it can make you
look a bit of a prat...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"olo" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

A bit above your budget, but I can recommend this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...ill-222942.htm.

It came with a bunch of chisels and bits when I bought it as well as the
chuck adaptor, but it's still a good price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:32:35 -0000, olo
wrote:

Hi folks,

I was pondering about this SPARKY drill:

any help much appreciated.

Then ponder no more, don't buy it!!!!

We have De-Walt, Makita and Blue Bosch at work but for some
unfathomable reason the boss decided to buy this Sparky SDS as a
backup "because it's made in Germany".

The case looked cheap compared to the others, the catches fell off
after a day or two and I always worry when I open a cheap tool's case
and find a plethora of "free" addins like a keyed chuck with SDS
adaptor, adaptor for 1/2" bsp core bit etc.

In use it is loud, rough (you can feel the gears meshing as they turn)
and although its power rating was well above our ancient De-Walt, it
was stopped dead with a 20mm SDS bit in concrete where the De-Walt
doesn't even slow down.

Spend the extra and get a decent blue Bosch like I did, you will never
regret it.

Recommendations for new electric drill please Rocky UK diy 14 September 18th 06 08:27 PM
drill recommendations [email protected] UK diy 8 August 10th 05 10:47 PM
Drill Press - Any Recommendations Steve DeMars Woodworking 5 June 11th 05 08:13 PM
SDS Drill recommendations? Rob UK diy 45 April 12th 05 01:14 PM
SDS Drill recommendations? Rob UK diy 0 April 8th 05 10:21 AM