Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slightly OT - Wheely bin compactors

On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes
On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Do they pry on you ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Adrian C
wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 12:50

I climb a nearby wall, open the bin and carefully jump up and down on
the things what's inside. They haven't tipped me into the collection
dust cart just yet :-)

I've done that before, but I don't fancy it in the rain and the bin is a bit
narrower than normal so more chance of falling over/off.

I use my 13-year-old son: much safer.

Dvaid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 00:44

On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Yes, I know loads of potatoes with BSE.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , F
writes
On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.

Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Do they pry on you ?

Oh that was good....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

Seems to work very well. Being DIY, I should have made my own, but without a
welder or a heavy tube bender, it would be hard to make something so simple
and elegant.

I've got both, but I've also got 25 quid and no spare time. Looks like
a good gadget and a sensible price.

Do they work ok? In extremis I could see the rubbish getting wedged in
and not coming out when they tip it into the loader. That certainly
happened when I used the boot treatment to overstuff a garden waste
wheely bin with hedge clippings but that is different I suppose.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 10:08

In article
, Andy
Dingley writes
On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

Seems to work very well. Being DIY, I should have made my own, but
without a welder or a heavy tube bender, it would be hard to make
something so simple and elegant.

I've got both, but I've also got 25 quid and no spare time. Looks like
a good gadget and a sensible price.

Do they work ok? In extremis I could see the rubbish getting wedged in
and not coming out when they tip it into the loader. That certainly
happened when I used the boot treatment to overstuff a garden waste
wheely bin with hedge clippings but that is different I suppose.

Never had a problem boot squashing general crap. I think the relatively low
friction of plastic bags in a tapered plastic bin allows the crap to
dislodge when the bin lorry bangs it.

Happy to report back next week...

So far, I've taken an overflowing bin and reduced it to exactly half empty.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:

Never had a problem boot squashing general crap. I think the relatively low
friction of plastic bags in a tapered plastic bin allows the crap to
dislodge when the bin lorry bangs it.

Happy to report back next week...

So far, I've taken an overflowing bin and reduced it to exactly half empty.

Or was it half full? :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , F
writes
On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.
Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Do they pry on you ?

Oh that was good....

That was *very good*.

I didn't catch on until I read your post :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:53:44 +0000, Dave wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , F
writes
On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.
Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Do they pry on you ?

Oh that was good....

That was *very good*.

I didn't catch on until I read your post :-(

Neither did I!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
writes
fred
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 10:08

Do they work ok? In extremis I could see the rubbish getting wedged in
and not coming out when they tip it into the loader. That certainly
happened when I used the boot treatment to overstuff a garden waste
wheely bin with hedge clippings but that is different I suppose.

Never had a problem boot squashing general crap. I think the relatively low
friction of plastic bags in a tapered plastic bin allows the crap to
dislodge when the bin lorry bangs it.

Happy to report back next week...

So far, I've taken an overflowing bin and reduced it to exactly half empty.

That's good to know, thanks.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:53:44 +0000, Dave wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , F
writes
On 13/11/2009 12:42 Tim W wrote:

Garden bin: no peelings (WTF?!), definitely no food waste.
Our lot say it's down to the risk of BSE: I kid you not!

Do they pry on you ?

Oh that was good....

That was *very good*.

I didn't catch on until I read your post :-(

Neither did I!

Not much slips past us handymen :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 00:47:41 -0800 (PST), Owain wrote:

30kWhr/day thats going some for an ordinary household... We are

about
20kWHr/day with people home all day and cook by 'lectric.

7.8kWh yesterday :-)

Grrr, our night time (everyone in bed) base load of ~300W uses that
much in a day. Lots of little things all adding up I guess, two 15W
CFLs, couple of DSAT boxes, PVR, server, network switch, ADSL Modem,
UPS, iPABX, TAM, etc etc

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

They also sell this:
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/the...?cPath=309_698

"You only need one unit to cover the whole circuit in your home as
soon as you plug it in. The Energy Reducer give an average saving of 3
to 4kwh per day, based on electrical consumption of 30kwh per day.
. The Energy Reducer can improve the safety of your electrical
equipment in your home. By reducing the overheating of electrical
wiring and decreasing the amount of wiring and copper loss, it helps
make your home a safer place to be.
The Energy Reducer works by combining correction and filtration
methods. It enhances the voltage and current output, which in turn
reduces the total current extracted from the mains."

Reminds me (just due to the eco-bollox theme) about that freebie
electricity consumption meter offer from British Gas that someone kindly
mentioned here a few weeks ago.

Mine arrived the other day and I duly installed it; seems to work pretty
well. One of my kids was very interested in it; before I knew it he was
running round the house turning on every electrical appliance he could
find in order to see how high he could make the display go. Not, I
suspect, quite what the device manufacturers had intended.

Fortunately I found out and stopped him before he blew the main fuse...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Report back:

Dustmen just been. Missed catching them in the act, but I didn't hear any
swearing and the bin's empty. I'll squish it a bit harder next time.

So this works... Double capacity. Think I'll tell the council to stuff the
upgrade and come and get their brown bin (I have the compost heap running)
and the useless paper bin. I'll hang onto the tin can/plastic bottle bin -
that is almost half useful...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ash :
I can't understand why we have to have individual wheelie bins ... we've now
got three like I suspect the majority of the population and also a nice
little one for the kitchen where we can put our food scraps and then empty
them into the brown garden trimmings and food waste bin.

In Spain, for instance, at the top and bottom of each street (and the middle
if the street is fairly long) there are conveniently sited 1000 litre (or
so) wheelie bins. A green one for general rubbish and a yellow one for
cans, plastics, milk cartons, etc. About every other street there's a paper
bin and glass bin. The general rubbish bin is empty daily and the yellow one
weekly ... the paper and glass about fortnightly. If you have anything which
someone else may be able to use like a broken chair, TV, car battery etc
just leave it next to the bin and it'll be gone within a few minutes by a
grateful passing Spaniard/Moroccan.

The bins are cleaned regularly and even washed! All without the need for
messy individual wheelie bins ... so why do we have such a polluting and
unsightly system?

My thoughts exactly. AFAICS the community bin system also fosters good
relations with your neighbours and provides a small but (for some) much-
needed bit of fresh air and exercise.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 10:27

On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

[...]

OK - dustmen been.

No problems. This week I really bammed the rubbish in until the sides of the
bin were bulging - in fact there is a slight set bulge left in it now. So
pretty tight. I should note that of late I've not bothered with a big
kitchen bin - I just hang Sainsburys bags off the doorknob and tie and bin
those, so that may help it not get jammed.

I reckon I could have got another week's worth of rubbish in there if push
came to shove.

And to be fair, I recycled everything that is practicable round here.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

[...]

Anyone thinking of buying one, save yoursrlf some money here
http://tinyurl.com/yza8m7q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
on the floor

AAARG NO!
Not another one!

The GROUND when it's outside!
The FLOOR when it's inside!

:-)

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:15:39 +0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
on the floor

AAARG NO!
Not another one!

The GROUND when it's outside!
The FLOOR when it's inside!

:-)

ROTGLMAO

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Morrison
wibbled on Monday 30 November 2009 15:40

Anyone thinking of buying one, save yoursrlf some money here
http://tinyurl.com/yza8m7q

That was where I got mine from - found them helpful and quick.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:08:22 -0800, Owain wrote:

On 30 Nov, 16:15, Ron Lowe wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
on the floor

AAARG NO!
Not another one!
The GROUND when it's outside!
The FLOOR when it's inside!

Doesn't that depend on whether you've got floorboards? ;=)

Or decking?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Morrison wrote:

"Tim W" wrote in message
Tim W
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 10:27

fred
wibbled on Saturday 14 November 2009 10:08

In article
,
Andy
Dingley writes
On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

Anyone thinking of buying one, save yoursrlf some money here
http://tinyurl.com/yza8m7q

I just bought that one myself actually: unfortunately it doesn't fit my
bin, which is actually *larger* than standard (as permitted for a family
of 5). The bin's handle separation is different to the spacing of the
hooks on the squasher. Even more unfortunately I'd ripped off all the
packaging before I realised so can't really expect them to take it back.

So anyone thinking of buying one - don't assume - check first!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster
wibbled on Monday 30 November 2009 22:53

On 13 Nov, 12:42, Tim W wrote:

http://www.trashbasher.co.uk/

Anyone thinking of buying one, save yoursrlf some money here
http://tinyurl.com/yza8m7q

I just bought that one myself actually: unfortunately it doesn't fit my
bin, which is actually *larger* than standard (as permitted for a family
of 5). The bin's handle separation is different to the spacing of the
hooks on the squasher. Even more unfortunately I'd ripped off all the
packaging before I realised so can't really expect them to take it back.

So anyone thinking of buying one - don't assume - check first!

David

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

I did suggest to the resellers on the phone that they clarify on the website
what bins it would fit as 240l seems not to be the defacto standard for
many people (bloody wibbling councils).

Stick a note in the newsagents - sure you could recoup a fair proportion of
the purchase cost selling it to someone else.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

I did suggest to the resellers on the phone that they clarify on the website
what bins it would fit as 240l seems not to be the defacto standard for
many people (bloody wibbling councils).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/490...bin-sizes.html
seems to suggest that 250 litre is the standard (at the moment),
but the more one discovers, the less anything about the schemes
across the country seems standard.

We have three of the brutes, the paper & plastic one sometimes
gets full, (1) if we have bought something with bulky packaging,
and the garden waste occasionally (2). The landfill one only if
I have been having a big clear out, and the stuff is not
appropriate for any avenues of re-use.

I have heard of a scheme being suggested, whereby you get
vouchers in proportion to the amount you have in your recycling
bins. However, this seems to have a number of potential
drawbacks, not least of which is that you would positively
welcome excess packaging!

(1) The caravan steps happen to live nearby, so I can leap in and
compact if necessary.

(2) I know all about composting, but the space and layout of my
present garden makes this impractical.
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Chris J Dixon contains these words:

(2) I know all about composting, but the space and layout of my
present garden makes this impractical.

The rats love it! :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin
wibbled on Tuesday 01 December 2009 11:27

The message
from Chris J Dixon contains these words:

(2) I know all about composting, but the space and layout of my
present garden makes this impractical.

The rats love it! :-(

I have a couple of pallet boxes (crates) that a load of floor tiles came in.
My neighbor's advice (he's into these things) was to turn one into a compost
bin as the slatted sides are excellent for for the aerobics of the microbes,
but line it with chicken wire for exactly the rat related reason. And
fashion a lid for it...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec, 10:13, Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre (I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! They're a prime target for theft.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from Andy Dingley contains these words:

On 1 Dec, 10:13, Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre (I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! They're a prime target for theft.

Hmm -- those that are local autority owned have generally got serial
numbers and can be checked against a database held by the local
authority.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec, 10:13, Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre (I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! They're a prime target for theft.

Hmm -- those that are local autority owned have generally got serial
numbers and can be checked against a database held by the local
authority.

I really wonder whether such databases exist (in a useable form), even
though the LAs claim that they do.
Lots of (apparently) LA wheely bins seem to be used on a regular basis
by such as window cleaners, odd job men and so on.

Has such a database been leaked, or lost on a train somewhere?

:-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Appin
wibbled on Tuesday 01 December 2009 17:56

On 1 Dec, 10:13, Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre (I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! They're a prime target for theft.

Hmm -- those that are local autority owned have generally got serial
numbers and can be checked against a database held by the local
authority.

Probably only for "exception" data, like old folk being on the register for
bin collection from withing their property or larger than normal bins...

It had occurred to me to just buy a bigger bin and stencil paint "Property
of BLAH council" on the front.

The binmen wouldn't care. But if push came to shove, the LA inspector could
probably prove I wasn't supposed to have it.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Frank Erskine contains these words:

On 1 Dec, 10:13, Tim W wrote:

Wow - so you get a 240l bin?

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre (I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! They're a prime target for theft.

Hmm -- those that are local autority owned have generally got serial
numbers and can be checked against a database held by the local
authority.

I really wonder whether such databases exist (in a useable form), even
though the LAs claim that they do.
Lots of (apparently) LA wheely bins seem to be used on a regular basis
by such as window cleaners, odd job men and so on.

Certainly in this area the local authority go round checking bins in the
more dubious housing estates of a community about 20 miles away from us.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message

It had occurred to me to just buy a bigger bin and stencil paint "Property
of BLAH council" on the front.

The binmen wouldn't care. But if push came to shove, the LA inspector
could
probably prove I wasn't supposed to have it.

As long as it fits the machine on the back of the cart.

--
PTO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Dec, 17:56, Appin wrote:

Technically, if we had a family of 5 we could "upgrade" to 240l...

If you do find yourself with a jumbo wheelie bin, like a 360 litre *(I
was in a house that used to be a shop and still had the bin) get a
lock for it! *They're a prime target for theft.

Hmm -- those that are local autority owned have generally got serial
numbers and can be checked against a database held by the local
authority.

Whilst that might become a future problem for the thief when getting
it emptied, you've still lost your jumbo bin.

OT - Love your Wheely Bin John UK diy 15 October 1st 09 11:19 AM
Plate Compactors T. McQuinn Home Repair 6 November 4th 08 05:22 PM
Backhoe Digger (Was Ye olde road compactors query) Roger UK diy 4 June 19th 08 07:29 PM
Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 03:27 PM
Slightly OT - CTE david lang UK diy 7 August 22nd 05 10:28 AM