Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Backhoe Digger (Was Ye olde road compactors query)

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

A JCB is top of the list ...

Funny you should say that. I came very close to buying a 40 year old one
last week. Unfortunately the dealer weighed it in for scrap before
picking up messages on his answerphone.

Actually I am in two minds about whether I would prefer a full size JCB
or a more modern mini digger. Either way I don't really want to spend
more than £1500 which does rather restrict what is available (but could
perhaps be persuaded to part with more is offered the right machine).

Anyone know of any such for sale within say 50 miles of Keighley, West
Yorkshire?

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

A JCB is top of the list ...

Funny you should say that. I came very close to buying a 40 year old one
last week. Unfortunately the dealer weighed it in for scrap before
picking up messages on his answerphone.

Actually I am in two minds about whether I would prefer a full size JCB
or a more modern mini digger. Either way I don't really want to spend
more than £1500 which does rather restrict what is available (but could
perhaps be persuaded to part with more is offered the right machine).

Anyone know of any such for sale within say 50 miles of Keighley, West
Yorkshire?

There are plenty of JCBs and mini excavators on eBay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Bruce contains these words:

A JCB is top of the list ...

Funny you should say that. I came very close to buying a 40 year old one
last week. Unfortunately the dealer weighed it in for scrap before
picking up messages on his answerphone.

Actually I am in two minds about whether I would prefer a full size JCB
or a more modern mini digger. Either way I don't really want to spend
more than £1500 which does rather restrict what is available (but could
perhaps be persuaded to part with more is offered the right machine).

Anyone know of any such for sale within say 50 miles of Keighley, West
Yorkshire?

There are plenty of JCBs and mini excavators on eBay.

Thanks.

I was aware of that but AFAICT no self propelled mini digger in working
order has gone for as low as £1500 recently and JCBs that cheap are rare
and so far not in range. At £3 or more a mile for JCB transport distance
can turn a cheap machine into an expensive machine.

It seems that the most JCB advertisers are a good way south of here
including the most prolific dealer. At least with mini diggers there is
a regular advertiser in Oldham that is only some 40 miles away.

What I would like is pointers to those who don't advertise on the
Internet. I have drawn a virtual blank with Yellow Pages.

With the building industry allegedly suffering a serious downturn older
machines should be cheap and plentiful but that doesn't seem to be the
case.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger wrote:

[...]

Auction houses would be a good source. In the various recessions we
had under the previous Tory administration, JCBs sold at auction at
ridiculously low prices.

The hire rates for JCBs were so low that it was impossible to make
money with a new(ish) JCB purchased at full price or leased. So the
clever ones were those who bought JCBs cheaply at auction because
previous owners were on the brink of bankruptcy, or in it.

Don't give up on eBay, though!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

A JCB is top of the list ...

Funny you should say that. I came very close to buying a 40 year old one
last week. Unfortunately the dealer weighed it in for scrap before
picking up messages on his answerphone.

Actually I am in two minds about whether I would prefer a full size JCB
or a more modern mini digger. Either way I don't really want to spend
more than £1500 which does rather restrict what is available (but could
perhaps be persuaded to part with more is offered the right machine).

Anyone know of any such for sale within say 50 miles of Keighley, West
Yorkshire?

We could get together ...

Mary
Leeds

Olde Books? cavelamb himself[_4_] Metalworking 1 January 2nd 08 01:31 PM
Minwax Olde Don Dando Woodworking 0 January 28th 07 08:40 PM
Road Drains in the UK query n cook UK diy 2 October 8th 06 04:21 PM
Q about The Olde TDA3576B Andy Electronics Repair 5 February 10th 05 09:50 PM