Posted to sci.engr.civil,uk.d-i-y,misc.transport.road

Default Road Drains in the UK query

No obvious group to place this query
For a low lying road near me if you monitor the water level under the grill
of drains in that road this last week of high tides it goes up and down at
the high tides.
In fact for similar weeks but low atmospheric pressure , so the sea water
level can rise much further, then local flooding starts from water flowing
up out of these drains. So defeating the 0.5 metre or so of elevated ground
beteween this road and the tidal river.
Where do I find out about whether this is normal or failure of flap valves
at drain outflows to the river. ?
Responsibility of local council,county council, highways authority, harbour
board, environment agency or water/sewage authority ?
As I cannot see any obvious such hinged flap valves anywhere nearby and as
there seems to be no lag between rising river water and rising drain trap
water I would have thought it was not due to ground water seepage.

Posted to sci.engr.civil,uk.d-i-y,misc.transport.road

N Cook wrote:
[...]

Since I've never seen flap valves on this side of the pond either, my
answer is that it's poor drainage engineering. A road next to water
that has tidal variations should be built above the spring tide level
(it can flood once a year during storms if it must, I'm assuming it's
not a major road). Since drains tend to be open to the water, relying
on the assumption that water levels won't rise to the point of flooding
the road, you get what you observed.
Question for you though: There must be some sort of seawall here,
right? If high tide level is rising above the road without flooding
it...

Posted to sci.engr.civil,uk.d-i-y,misc.transport.road

Steve A. wrote in message
oups.com...

N Cook wrote:
[...]

There are various structues that in effect make a sea wall that will hold
back a tide of height 5.5 metres which is quite rare , relatively calm so no
waves to speak of.
Unfortunately any tides of 5.1m or more start coming up the road drains and
of course 5.1m tides are a lot more common.

INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 4 October 28th 05 01:46 AM
Cost of tarmacadaming road MM UK diy 6 May 20th 05 06:29 PM
To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT- Shooting, Distance from road ? RogerN Metalworking 39 January 21st 05 04:39 AM
New Electrical Regulations Tony Bryer UK diy 278 September 25th 03 08:53 PM