Andy

Default Q about The Olde TDA3576B

I wrote in an earlier post (Philips oldtimer...) about a 20 year old TV-set
that I'm trying to repair, just
for fun. I now suspect that the multi-purpose circuit TDA3576B has died
since many of its outputs are dead. The only non-DC signal it outputs is a
sawtooth on pin 16.

Now my question: Is it likely that it has died? I'm asking since a new
circuit is rather expensive (approx $50 here) and I do not want to spend too
much time and effort on finding a used one if the original isn't bad.

Thanks a bunch!

Andy

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:02:56 +0100, "Andy" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

I wrote in an earlier post (Philips oldtimer...) about a 20 year old TV-set
that I'm trying to repair, just
for fun. I now suspect that the multi-purpose circuit TDA3576B has died
since many of its outputs are dead. The only non-DC signal it outputs is a
sawtooth on pin 16.

Now my question: Is it likely that it has died? I'm asking since a new
circuit is rather expensive (approx $50 here) and I do not want to spend too
much time and effort on finding a used one if the original isn't bad.

Thanks a bunch!

Andy

FYI, the TDA3576B is only AU$20 over here.

Have you seen this fault database for the K40 chassis?
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/repair_t...ilips_090.html

A circuit diagram is available he
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...ilips_K40.html

- Franc Zabkar
Andy

"Franc Zabkar" skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Thank you very much for the links! It seems that the 3576 has been the cause
in earlier cases. I'm still surprised that a tiny IC can go bad. In my
experience only devices that run very hot or that draw a lot of current
(like the HOT) go bad.

I will see if I can find that little buggar in another TV-set.

Andy

NSM

"Andy" wrote in message

Thank you very much for the links! It seems that the 3576 has been the

cause
in earlier cases. I'm still surprised that a tiny IC can go bad. In my
experience only devices that run very hot or that draw a lot of current
(like the HOT) go bad.

ISTR that some MOS processes were notorious for developing rot over time. I
recall a text to speech chip which commonly failed.

Andy

"NSM" skrev i meddelandet
newsVvKd.67067$Qb.1737@edtnps89...

"Andy" wrote in message

Thank you very much for the links! It seems that the 3576 has been the

cause
in earlier cases. I'm still surprised that a tiny IC can go bad. In my
experience only devices that run very hot or that draw a lot of current
(like the HOT) go bad.

ISTR that some MOS processes were notorious for developing rot over time.
recall a text to speech chip which commonly failed.

Interesting. Maybe this chip is one of those affected. It is not *that* bad
though since it is almost 20 years old...

Andy

Andy

"Andy" skrev i meddelandet
I wrote in an earlier post (Philips oldtimer...) about a 20 year old TV-set
that I'm trying to repair, just
for fun. I now suspect that the multi-purpose circuit TDA3576B has died
since many of its outputs are dead. The only non-DC signal it outputs is a
sawtooth on pin 16.

Now my question: Is it likely that it has died? I'm asking since a new
circuit is rather expensive (approx $50 here) and I do not want to spend
too
much time and effort on finding a used one if the original isn't bad.

Thanks a bunch!

Andy

Hey everyone, and thanks for your replies.
It *was* the TDA3576B that had gone bad. I bought one new, replaced and the
TV-set came back to life!
I wonder how many years it will last now... :-)

Andy