Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a kitchen wall cabinet when old screw holes are badly located

Hi. I want to hang a (B&Q) 1000mm wall cabinet. Unfortunately, there was
once a cabinet in the same position. There are old large screw holes (plugs
removed) where the old mounting plates used to be. I will not be able to
drill holes in the correct positions for the new mounting plates because the
new holes would be too close to the old ones.

(For information, the mounting plates screw onto the wall; two hangers
sticking out of the back of the cabinet hook over the offset top edges of
the plates.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:14:55 -0000, Steve wrote:

There are old large screw holes (plugs removed) where the old mounting
plates used to be. I will not be able to drill holes in the correct
positions for the new mounting plates because the new holes would be too
close to the old ones.

There is normally quite a bit of vertical adjustment available in the
cupboard hangers, particularly vertically. If the holes are that
close it might be possible to reuse them or, if the hole pattern is
different between new and old wall brackets, reuse the old ones.

Failing that I think this is a case of car body filler all the way
down the holes and any loose/crumbly plaster removed and filled.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 22:56

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:14:55 -0000, Steve wrote:

There are old large screw holes (plugs removed) where the old mounting
plates used to be. I will not be able to drill holes in the correct
positions for the new mounting plates because the new holes would be too
close to the old ones.

There is normally quite a bit of vertical adjustment available in the
cupboard hangers, particularly vertically. If the holes are that
close it might be possible to reuse them or, if the hole pattern is
different between new and old wall brackets, reuse the old ones.

Failing that I think this is a case of car body filler all the way
down the holes and any loose/crumbly plaster removed and filled.

If it were me, I'd extend that idea and drill out the old holes to 10mm,
insert small tube and blow out *all* the dust and use some cheapy Screwfix
or something injection resin. It's similar to car body filler (though
possibly slightly harder) but the injector will allow you to fill the hole
solidly from the bottom upwards ensuring no voids. There'll be no issues at
all then drilling a new hole right next to the old.

I think the call is: how close are the new holes to the old. If they really
are virtually touching, I'd do it my way. If it's more than perhaps 5mm
away, car filler would do as long as it's packed fairly well down the hole.
In the latter case, there is the option to angle the new holes slightly
away from the old - the brackets won't mind.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"There are old large screw holes (plugs removed) where the old mounting
plates used to be. I will not be able to
drill holes in the correct positions for the new mounting plates because
the new holes would be too close to the old ones."
..
Thanks guys. For information, I don't have the original plates and the
(cheap and nasty) B&Q brackets have less than a centimetre of vertical
adjustment.

I can't reuse the old holes and the new ones would be very close to the old
ones; I'm worried about the safety, especially with the weight of a full
cabinet.. So the resin sounds like a possible option.

I'm also now considering making my own supporting plates. If I get some
large flat rectangular metal plates I could screw them to to wall securely
(with new holes away from the old ones) and have spacers to give a few
millimetres gap between plates and wall to allow the brackets to hook over.

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.
Thanks guys. For information, I don't have the original plates and the
(cheap and nasty) B&Q brackets have less than a centimetre of vertical
adjustment.

I can't reuse the old holes and the new ones would be very close to the
old ones; I'm worried about the safety, especially with the weight of a
full cabinet.. So the resin sounds like a possible option.

I'm also now considering making my own supporting plates. If I get some
large flat rectangular metal plates I could screw them to to wall securely
(with new holes away from the old ones) and have spacers to give a few
millimetres gap between plates and wall to allow the brackets to hook
over.

Cheers.

These wall cabs really worry me. What I do is hang them on the wall in the
correct position then fix a batten (4" melamine or whatever) underneath them
fitted with loads of 13A sockets. I.e, the provided hangers hold the cab
against the wall, the batten takes most of the weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

And yet our circa 1980 MFI cabinets are happily hanging with just 2
screws through the hardboard backing. Packed *solid* with heavy stuff
too. Go figure, as they say
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve"
saying something like:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Piece of MDF or timber, ripped at 45deg lengthwise, use one half on the
wall, fasten second half to back of cabinet, hook over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve"
saying something like:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Piece of MDF or timber, ripped at 45deg lengthwise, use one half on the
wall, fasten second half to back of cabinet, hook over.

Bloody hell. Body filler. 5 minute job
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve"
saying something like:

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Piece of MDF or timber, ripped at 45deg lengthwise, use one half on
the wall, fasten second half to back of cabinet, hook over.

Is that a French cleat?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble

****ed up wall, plenty of old holes, cabinet falls off, ****ed cabinet.