Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Hanging a kitchen wall cabinet when old screw holes are badly located

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Friday 06 November 2009 22:56

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:14:55 -0000, Steve wrote:

There are old large screw holes (plugs removed) where the old mounting
plates used to be. I will not be able to drill holes in the correct
positions for the new mounting plates because the new holes would be too
close to the old ones.

There is normally quite a bit of vertical adjustment available in the
cupboard hangers, particularly vertically. If the holes are that
close it might be possible to reuse them or, if the hole pattern is
different between new and old wall brackets, reuse the old ones.

Failing that I think this is a case of car body filler all the way
down the holes and any loose/crumbly plaster removed and filled.

If it were me, I'd extend that idea and drill out the old holes to 10mm,
insert small tube and blow out *all* the dust and use some cheapy Screwfix
or something injection resin. It's similar to car body filler (though
possibly slightly harder) but the injector will allow you to fill the hole
solidly from the bottom upwards ensuring no voids. There'll be no issues at
all then drilling a new hole right next to the old.

I think the call is: how close are the new holes to the old. If they really
are virtually touching, I'd do it my way. If it's more than perhaps 5mm
away, car filler would do as long as it's packed fairly well down the hole.
In the latter case, there is the option to angle the new holes slightly
away from the old - the brackets won't mind.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...