Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital TV: Split signal from aerial?

Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:04:05 +0000, Howard Coakley
wrote:

Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

You say " Digital TV" so I take it there is a Freeview box somewhere
in the equation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 30, 10:04*am, Howard Coakley
wrote:
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Always degradation. If you look at the specs for your 3 or 4 way
splitter you'll see how much degradation. If you hoo up a tv you'll
see whether the result is acceptable. If not, add a masthead amplifier
as close to the aerial as poss.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Category:TV

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Howard Coakley wrote:
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

yes. Use an active distribution amp if passive splitting degrades
quality below acceptable.

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

bring a single downlead to somewhere you can mess with a TV, and start
by splitting it three ways passively: if signal quality is poor on the
most split line, get a labgear or similar amp, and feed the three lines
from that.

Do not just couple three lines to the downlead. You will get horrible
cable resonances that will potential murder some muxes and peak up others.

I've got 9 all full signal coming out of mine.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Always degradation. If you look at the specs for your 3 or 4 way
splitter you'll see how much degradation. If you hoo up a tv you'll
see whether the result is acceptable. If not, add a masthead amplifier
as close to the aerial as poss.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Category:TV

Its not necessary to have a masthead amp unless you are really in
totally marginal conditions to start with.

If signal is good enough on a single downlead to a single set, then the
distribution amp can just as well go at the end of the downlead in a
convenient and more accessible place.

It is important to distinguish the function of a masthead amp - to
essentially boost really weak signals as close to the antenna as
possible, and a distribution amp, which is really there to buffer a
distributions system from the downlead and antenna.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:04:05 +0000 someone who may be Howard Coakley
wrote this:-

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

Yes.

Whether this is a problem or not depends on how strong the signal is
at the aerial. If it is strong then splitting it three ways should
still leave enough signal at each outlet for most freeview
boxes/televisions, provided the splitting is done properly.

There are perhaps two sites you should study
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ and http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/
in order to gain an understanding of the options.

If you have not yet bought the aerial there is a lot in those sites
you should be aware of before buying.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Howard Coakley" wrote in
message
sage.com.invalid...
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Obtain a 12dB attenuator. Connect the aerial to a receiver with the
attenuator in line. Observe the results for several days. If everything is
OK obtain a three way inductive splitter (a small thing wth f connectors
built into a metal case; not any other type) and connect ther aerial to the
input of the splitter and the three outputs to the downleads.
If the attenuator test is a fail obtain a small one-in four-out amplifier
and fit it fairly close to the aerial.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Howard Coakley" wrote in
message
sage.com.invalid...
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

'uk.tech.digital-tv' is a good place to ask these questions (although there
is significant overlap between the groups).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Howard Coakley" wrote in message
sage.com.invalid...
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

What about the aerial itself, where are you going to obtain it?
A DIY shed is probably not the best place to go because they
only sell wideband aerials, which might not be the ideal choice
in your case. The ideal aerial "group" depends on which transmitter
you intend to receive, do you know what the transmitter it's called?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi.

Is there a degradation in signal if I split it 3 ways from the aerial?

I'm just about to install a new aerial myself and want to do the job
properly. I've not installed an aerial before, but I'm fairly good at
electrics etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Howard

Always degradation.

Not actually true.
If the signal is strong enough there will be no difference at all on the
digital set top boxes.
However if its too weak the results will be dreadful.
Mine splits three ways using cr@p splitters but free view works fine, but I
do get a good signal that requires an attenuator to stop channel break
through on analogue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
He's had as good a reply here as he would get there (by one of their best
contributers).

If you are referring to me, kind sir, I hereby lay on the floor at your feet
and wag my tail, and invite you to fondle my nipples.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

This arrangement is a sort of allegory for life itself, really.

Bill

sigh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 30 Oct,
Simon C. . wrote:

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

You must have an extremely large pad, or else you're using string to
connect
the sets.

CAI benchmarked string is OK.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:17:37 GMT, wrote:

On 30 Oct,
Simon C. . wrote:

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

You must have an extremely large pad, or else you're using string to connect
the sets.

Hehe, unfortunately not. I've always assumed its because of marginal
reception and the far from ideal but unavoidable routing of the cable,
ie quite a few sharp right-angle bends that have left the co-ax pretty
badly kinked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
this to say:

Simon C. . wrote:

Mine is split 3 ways [sort of], I've had to fit a 2-way booster in the
lounge, one output to the TV, the other is sent along a long crooked
route to a spare room/office, to another booster, with one output to
TV, and another to short crooked route to a downstairs bedroom. Its a
bit messy, but the only way I could get all 3 TVs to work OK.

You must have an extremely large pad, or else you're using string to connect
the sets.

Hehe, unfortunately not. I've always assumed its because of marginal
reception and the far from ideal but unavoidable routing of the cable,
ie quite a few sharp right-angle bends that have left the co-ax pretty
badly kinked.

If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a better ærial and/or a _grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions). Certainly avoid a 'DC-to-light'
broadband amplifier such as designed (?) to boost FM transmissions as
well as TV.
Only when you have a decent signal should you consider distribution
amplifiers, splitters and so on.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

Thread hijack

Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More
4 etc are giving me just pixellated crap

In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)

Its a newish (10 years old aerial) the problem seems to have developed
some time last year

I also have a ****e old aerial (must be more than 30 years old) from
which I seem to get a much better signal

there are several recorders plugged into this signal

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

Thread hijack

Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More 4
etc are giving me just pixellated crap

In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)

Its a newish (10 years old aerial) the problem seems to have developed
some time last year

Trees? Damp in cable? Aerial damaged? Building in the way? Or see
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...r-syndrome.pdf
Mux 2 is on ch 22 isn't it?

I also have a ****e old aerial (must be more than 30 years old) from which
I seem to get a much better signal

No surprise. It it's that old it will be far better quality!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

Thread hijack

Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More 4
etc are giving me just pixellated crap

In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)

Its a newish (10 years old aerial) the problem seems to have developed
some time last year

Trees?

Couple of Leylandi, but not tall enough to be in the LOS

Damp in cable?

Could be, but why should it be that selective ?

Aerial damaged?

Not that I cans see, also, it's windy out there today and there's very
little movement

Building in the way?

No - it's only showed this problem last year, I didn't see any major
obstacles when I put it up

Or see
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...r-syndrome.pdf
Mux 2 is on ch 22 isn't it?

I also have a ****e old aerial (must be more than 30 years old) from which
I seem to get a much better signal

No surprise. It it's that old it will be far better quality!

When I say I can get them on the old aerial, I have just thought that
I'm picking ITV and CH4 up well on CH 903 and 904, they are still very
pixellated on actual ch3 and 4

What I don't understand is that I get good signal with e.g. BBC1 and 2,
so it can't be general signal degradation. Also, I have an amp where it
enters the house (not up top).

Can multiple DVD recorders (LO interference for example) cause such
problems ?

off to read your posted link ...

Old one is a POS 7 basic 7 element stick with an aluminium plate
reflector, the new one is a 4 x 11 (H-section) element with 6
reflectors, a bit like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/maxview/ahg-4...ain-group-c-d/
dp/AP00493

So, if cost is less important than getting decent reception, what should
I go for? (Preferably something in the CPC catalogue)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

The only time I have seen one used was at Marconi in Coventry when BBC
technology came and setup an aerial to get freeview from Sutton Coldfield
before it was available in Coventry.
They installed a big yagi and a leveller and a mast head amp and we could
just about manage to get a good image.

(Then we de-multiplexed the channels into an SDI (155MB/s IIRC) distribution
system and then recoded the channels to different bit rates so we could
transmit them over ADSL. There was about £1M worth of kit in my lab just for
the BBC stuff before you got to the distribution side.)

Split coax signal from aerial to Set Top Box? dave UK diy 14 July 30th 07 05:08 PM
amplifier/splitter to split tv signal into 6 [email protected] UK diy 4 June 25th 06 09:51 AM
aerial signal strength [email protected] UK diy 10 March 9th 06 10:22 AM
Aerial Signal Strength john UK diy 51 December 24th 05 10:00 AM
New TV aerial for 'strong' or 'weak' signal? Lobster UK diy 72 November 15th 05 03:46 PM