Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Digital TV: Split signal from aerial?

In message , Bill Wright
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Bill Wright
writes

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 19:28:11 +0000, Simon C. . had
If you do actually have marginal reception then your best bet is to
remedy that before considering 'complex' distribution around the
house, possibly using a grouped_ amplifier
(grouped to improve the signal/noise ratio and reduce the chance of
blocking by nearby transmissions).

Where can he get one of those from?

Thread hijack

Bill - I seem to have a general failure on Mux2 i.e. ITV, CH4, E4, More 4
etc are giving me just pixellated crap

In watford, pointed at crystal palace (I think)

Its a newish (10 years old aerial) the problem seems to have developed
some time last year

Trees?

Couple of Leylandi, but not tall enough to be in the LOS

Damp in cable?

Could be, but why should it be that selective ?

Aerial damaged?

Not that I cans see, also, it's windy out there today and there's very
little movement

Building in the way?

No - it's only showed this problem last year, I didn't see any major
obstacles when I put it up

Or see
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...r-syndrome.pdf
Mux 2 is on ch 22 isn't it?

I also have a ****e old aerial (must be more than 30 years old) from which
I seem to get a much better signal

No surprise. It it's that old it will be far better quality!

When I say I can get them on the old aerial, I have just thought that
I'm picking ITV and CH4 up well on CH 903 and 904, they are still very
pixellated on actual ch3 and 4

What I don't understand is that I get good signal with e.g. BBC1 and 2,
so it can't be general signal degradation. Also, I have an amp where it
enters the house (not up top).

Can multiple DVD recorders (LO interference for example) cause such
problems ?

off to read your posted link ...

Old one is a POS 7 basic 7 element stick with an aluminium plate
reflector, the new one is a 4 x 11 (H-section) element with 6
reflectors, a bit like this

http://cpc.farnell.com/maxview/ahg-4...ain-group-c-d/
dp/AP00493

So, if cost is less important than getting decent reception, what should
I go for? (Preferably something in the CPC catalogue)

--
geoff